skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ya, that PSU will handle it. Not the greatest brand name out there, but it's your call.

Also, consider some cheaper RAM, that stuff is overkill.

Consider a Core2Duo system, with the price cuts tomorrow you'll be able to get a 6600 for cheap and will beat the AMD, and let you overclock insane high.

Get a better CPU cooler if you plan on pushing your system at all. There are much better options, those flower-style are old news. If you like the blow-down idea, take a look at the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, it's very good and not a whole lot more money.

Consider the Seagate Barracuda 500 gb drive instead of the Samsung. Top notch.

Lastly, do you really need a sound card? Most onboard nowadays are very good actually, unless you're a total audiophile or have a $300+ sound system.

Just things to consider. As it stands, you have a good system setup, no doubt. But I think there are some better options, as well as ways to save money.

yippyskippy

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Get a better CPU cooler if you plan on pushing your system at all. There are much better options, those flower-style are old news. If you like the blow-down idea, take a look at the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, it's very good and not a whole lot more money.

Lastly, do you really need a sound card? Most onboard nowadays are very
good actually, unless you're a total audiophile or have a $300+ sound system.

Just things to consider. As it stands, you have a good system setup, no doubt. But I think there are some better options, as well as ways to save money.

Do you have any suggestions on a better CPU cooler? I'm not familiar with the best options out there as it stands, it just looked like it'd do the trick in that case. I'm not sure which way the air should flow. I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to building computers, please forgive.

Yes, I am definately an audiophile, beyond that even. ;)

Thank you for the suggestions.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
If you plan on overclocking, then a good heatsink is necessary. However, if you're not overclocking, then a heatsink will still help keep your CPU cooler and much quieter as well. A few suggestions:

-Thermalright Ultra 120 (needs a 120mm fan though)
-Thermaltake Big Typhoon
-Noctua NH-U12F

All are good heatsinks, and will do the job very nicely. The Noctua is the most quiet, but it might be a bit harder to find. The Ultra 120 is very good and can be very quiet if you get a quiet fan to put on it.

Take a look at those and see if they're available in your area/online.

The CPU cooler you have selected will NOT work with your processor choice. You also want to get a GOOD cooler, as your processor will be a hot beast.

About the best cooler for your rig available currently would be the Thermalright Ultra 120, which seems to be sold out almost everywhere. Also, Thermalright is releasing the Ultra 120 Extreme in a few days, and that is a better version. You may want to look for either of those. If you buy one of these, just make sure that you get the AM2 backplate for either of these, and that you have the room in your case for either of these monsters, as they are HUGE!

Other good cooling that you may find would be the ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT.

You will find that AM2 coolers are not as prevalent as Intel C2D coolers.

Also, as Skyguy stated previously, I would look at a comparable C2D system. As of right now, the E6600 based system is cheaper and better than the 6000+ system. The E6600 system also can be overclocked better, and runs cooler.

The ram you have selected would be overkill, and you could save around $100 USD by getting different ram that could easily compete with that.

As for the power supply, power is one thing you do NOT want to skimp on. A power supply, when failing, can take out your processor, motherboard, and even the video card. It's probably one of the parts of your system that you would want to be picky about. According to Perkam at Extemesystems, who is well respected for his knowledge on PSU's, you do NOT want to buy a Xion power supply. You can get MUCH better quality for the same price.

Hard drive could be improved. A possible upgrade would be the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 series. They have better performance for roughly the same price.

Hope that helps...