Radeon X1950 pro PLZ HELP!!!!!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2007 12:29:29 PM

Hi

I switched to a X1950pro from a 9800pro.
My CPU is an AMD64 3400 clawhammer with 2GB of ram
I could run hitman blood money reasonably on the 9800 pro but when i switched to the X1950pro it stutters like hell!!!!

I dont understand it?? my nephew has a 1650pro and he can run it fine, along with battlestaions midway which also stutters like hell on mine.

Im having similar problems with a few other games, can anyone shed any light on this for me???
Forgive my noobiness :) 
Thanks.

More about : radeon x1950 pro plz

April 21, 2007 12:48:26 PM

whats your power supply like??

and you do realise your cpu is a massive bottleneck on that card.
April 21, 2007 12:52:29 PM

Quote:
and you do realise your cpu is a massive bottleneck on that card.

Of course.

That's why a X1950Pro plays worse than a 9800Pro. :roll: No matter what CPU, the card would perform better than a 9800Pro!

A 3400+ wipes the floor with a 2.5GHz P4, so you cannot compare the two situations.

I agree on the power supply, it could be a major issue.

I would also use DriverCleaner to wipe out all graphic drivers, and install fresh.
April 21, 2007 12:56:10 PM

* fair enough, edited my post :p  *

just saying what iv been through.

it may or may not have anything to do with his situation, but then it may :) 

speaking of which...iv wondered.......can a low end cpu bottleneck faster cards more than slower cards?? as in will in such cases (sometimes) the slower card perfomr better than much faster ones in some games?
April 21, 2007 12:56:13 PM

Even if the CPU was 100% bottlenecking, the worst that would happen is that the game wouldn't play any better, but not slower!

If on a highway there are enough lanes so that every car can move at full speed, adding more lanes will not make them move faster, but it can't slow them down! Same logic here.

So obviously it's either a problem with drivers or PSU.
April 21, 2007 1:02:00 PM

yeah makes sense...

though my situation was definitely odd then, cause i could have sworn my 9800 pro performed better than my x1950 pro at the same settings on all my games, then i changed the cpu and it went up to where it should have been.

ah well....

any who, back to helping the OP out.

sooo yeah.....whats ur psu like? :lol: 
April 21, 2007 1:54:58 PM

Quote:
* fair enough, edited my post :p  *

just saying what iv been through.

it may or may not have anything to do with his situation, but then it may :) 

Yea, didn't need to edit post really. :) 
April 21, 2007 2:12:03 PM

my PSU is a 700w X-power ATX SLi
April 21, 2007 2:28:10 PM

is it this stuff??

click me

if it is, then hmmmm....i would have assumed that would be enough. Im not quite familiar with the company...so im not sure how stable the power may be.

as for the drivers, have you tried using different ones??
April 21, 2007 2:35:04 PM

yeah thats the one.

the last time i tried a different driver my comp would get to the windows loading screen, then restart itself.
April 21, 2007 2:47:31 PM

:? :? :?

okaaay, i didnt know drivers could do that.

are you willing to try one for me now??

this is not an official ati driver, but modified for better gaming performance (or so it claims).

link: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat...

pick Radeon Omega Driver 3.8.330

make sure u uninstall your current drivers completely though, including catalyst control centre. You may also wanna go into safe mode once uninstall is complete and with the help of driver cleaner pro, get rid of any remaining ati files.

driver cleaner pro: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

no go back to normal windows and install the omega drivers. when asked, pick normal drivers, and no multi res, you can have tray tool if you want, its a good prog to enhance your card.

you'll be asked to restart, and will have to sort out ur resolution again as it may have gone to the 800x600 settings.

check if that does anything to your performance.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2007 2:54:31 PM

I have upgraded several Radeon cards over the years, and in my experience, you must make sure that you have completely removed ALL the previous ATI drivers and software prior to installing new drivers and software for a new card. If you don't, the new card likely will perform horribly.
April 21, 2007 3:09:09 PM

Hi, u must be using catalyst 7.3. It stutter like hell. I was experiencing the stutter and I thought it was my harddrive so i purchase a Seagate 7200.10 perpendicular reading technology drive but it still stutter like hell. The day I got the harddrive = the day catalyst 7.4 release and I am so pleased with it.

Get the 7.4 which just release few days ago. It works like charm. The stutter is almost gone! It reduces more than 80% :) 

Hope this help :) 
April 21, 2007 4:13:16 PM

this is agp i assume?
April 21, 2007 4:39:20 PM

i tried the omega driver with the same results, thanks anyway.

yeah its agp.
April 21, 2007 4:46:33 PM

I'd look at a bios update. I agree too that a CPU can bottleneck a newer card. I had the ATI X1900 AIW card and upgraded to an X1950GT and got lower benchmarks. I think maybe some newer cards rely more on the CPU and are more optimized for multiple cores because I was running mine on an FX-55 single core. Always remove old drivers before installing a new card. Check to see if your friend lowered his settings in the game also. :-P Try downloading 3DMark and running it on both systems, let us know how it scores.
April 21, 2007 5:41:15 PM

I am thinking of getting a new motherboard and processor anyway.

However i dont want to have to buy a new graphics card aswell as most of the newer boards are pci-e.

can anyone recommend a motherboard and processor i could possibly buy that will take my X1950pro AGP and improve things drastically?

i have about £300-400GBP to spend, i think thats roughly $600-800 US.
April 21, 2007 6:12:33 PM

ive never used 3D mark before so i dont know what this means but the score was 1007??
April 21, 2007 6:43:16 PM

studdering on AGP as always happened when....

1.- you combine a high end videocard with a bandwith eating sound card ( audigy series and similars)
this is caused by IRQ problems.. changing the placement of the sound caard sometimes helps

2.- setting the AGP speed...
certain mobos, dont know why ( It happened in a Socket 939 ASUS a8v-deluxe and before a p4 mobo ) have the tendency of studdering like sh1t in agp 8X ..
the studdering starts to dissapear if I lower the AGP speed to 4X or 2X
April 21, 2007 11:04:28 PM

Quote:
I am thinking of getting a new motherboard and processor anyway.

However i dont want to have to buy a new graphics card aswell as most of the newer boards are pci-e.

can anyone recommend a motherboard and processor i could possibly buy that will take my X1950pro AGP and improve things drastically?

i have about £300-400GBP to spend, i think thats roughly $600-800 US.

I'd say put your vid card up for sale and switch to PCI-E. If you're upgrading your whole system, might as well swap out everything.
July 27, 2007 7:39:55 PM

Hey, I came across this posts because I was having the same problem. After playing several games this is a problem with the game and not your video card. I have a Intel 3.0Ghz 1GB RAM and upgraded from a 9600XT to a X1950Pro (also upgrade my PSU to an OCZ GameXtreme 700W so PSU is not an issue fo me). The game played better on my 9600XT as compared to the x1950Pro. Why i know it's not a video card issue is because I have noticed alot of improvements in all my games except for hitman (call of duty 2, NFS MW, Battlefield 2, Swat 4, Rainbow six vegas- not even playiable before).
WHy I know there is a problem with hitman is because of the following
1. The Stutterring is there regardless of the resolution I play at. I get the same FPS at 1024X1080 or 800X600. Same with the details. I get 15FPS in the mental hospital level with settings on low and on setting on high 16X AF and 4XAA.
2. The temp on my video card (displayed in game using ATI-TOOLS) shows that the GPU is really not under load. It is about 10 degrees lower than when I play other games.
Whatever it is this game has problems diverting resources to the GPU. My CPU must bottle neck the card but that's in terms of optimal performance. I am still seeing alot of improvements in all my other games. Hitman is the only one with this prob.
!