Your question

3-D desktop on SuSe?

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Configuration
  • Linux
Last response: in Open Source Software
January 8, 2007 1:57:14 AM

Does anyone know what package the 3-D desktop is for SuSe Linux? Also... if it's already there... how do I configure it because it looks bad@$$

More about : desktop suse

a b 5 Linux
January 8, 2007 4:42:58 PM

As I made the mortal mistake of getting the cheap Radion9200 I've not bothered playing with it but I assume you mean Xgl, which does indeed look kick @ss! :wink:

Using Xgl on SUSE Linux

OpenSUSE page on Xgl

Seem to have what you are looking for.
a b 5 Linux
January 8, 2007 9:28:14 PM

None at hand to play with.. And as I'm stuck on AGP I'm not in a hurry to upgrade without a new motherboard :( 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 8, 2007 10:11:11 PM

Thanks man, I'm definitely going to enjoy this! :D 

EDIT: I'm not able to install it... it says I need Gnome... and I'm running KDE... anyone know where I can get XGL for KDE?
a b 5 Linux
January 9, 2007 10:34:00 AM

That seems a little strange. It might possibly depend on a few libraries but...

I had another look and this Novell guide states at the top Gnome and/or KDE.

Failing that I suspect Linux_0 would know the answers...
January 9, 2007 8:07:06 PM

Ok.. I'll see if that works.

EDIT: Well... I had it installed... or so I thought. I followed everything in that link... and now my SuSe isn't booting. I can get to GRUB and choose my OS, that's all great. But... SuSe just isn't like... getting to a login screen. I just gives me a black screen with like code and stuff and then it'll ask me for my login (I've used Gentoo before so I kinda recognize this) so I try to login as the admin. Well... it won't let me enter a password. Once it gets to the password the keyboard stops working.
a b 5 Linux
January 12, 2007 5:18:10 PM

Ouch.... :cry: 

It looks to me that the x server is not configured or at the very least it is not configured for automatic login. I'm really sorry if that link has left your system like that. I hope you can appreciate that I'm not in a position to test articles like that.

I'll drop Linux_0 a line and see if he has any suggestions as I hate to see a system down.
January 12, 2007 5:41:47 PM

It's ok... I'll just do a reinstall... there wasn't anything on it anyways.
a b 5 Linux
January 12, 2007 6:01:51 PM

I sent him a PM anyhow. He's a really helpful guy and it might just be a couple of commands to see it right. You can always boot off a live CD to be able to edit the config files.

It was a long time ago since I played with these sorts of things on Unix boxes so I would be out of my depth trying to get in much deeper here. I'm glad you haven't lost any data. As Geeky pointed out just the other day as he did a re-install, its all a learning curve... Besides there are plenty of people who end up with broken windows boxes... :wink:

Up to you how you want to proceed. If you just want a quick play with XGL there are a couple of LiveCD distros that offer it. I know I always plug it but Ubuntu offers it as a click and install package, there are things it does very differently to Suse but it is an alternative.

If I can help I will. If I don't know I'll say. Glad no harm done :lol: 
a b 5 Linux
January 13, 2007 3:52:20 AM

Just to chime in here, I have this stuff installed on both my laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon 9700) and my desktop (NVidia 7800GT, as stated in my sig). Both run extremely well and use little in the way of resources, but it definately takes some tweaking even with a great guide to follow. On my laptop I had to change some deep config files in GDM and on my desktop I had to download and debug the latest Java (1.6.0) since any Swing application wouldn't display correctly. Submitted the patch but haven't heard back from Sun yet :?

As for your issues Dante_Jose_Cuervo, sounds like there is a mixture of config files setup to start/use X (the original) and some setup to start/use XGL (the new) or even some typo/misconfiguration. It's trying to start things up but is borking something somehwhere.

This stuff is really new and, unfortunately for you both, ATI support sucks in Linux. It's better but still pales in comparision to NVidia. I'd suggest (as you were planning/have done) reinstalling in light of the fact that you had nothing important on there. You might want to give 10.2 a try as apparently they made things very simple (link)
The most important part is to ensure that you've installed and enabled the closed-source, vendor-provided binary drivers. Here are some instructions (follow the correct one for your distro version) then, after rebooting (or at least restarting X) check to make sure that the ATI-provided openGL libs are being used[code:1:9a89d8884e]//Open a terminal
glxinfo|grep -i vendor
//Make sure it lists ATI, not MESA[/code:1:9a89d8884e]

This is a usually stumbling block on the road to wobbly goodness. Good luck and stop on back if you have other problems/questions.
a b 5 Linux
January 13, 2007 9:48:26 AM

A little off topic but..

Just a quick question on hardware for XGL. Is something like the integrated Intel on board stuff up to running this at any sort of pace? I only ask as I've seen a few posts lately about how good the drivers are getting for the Intel stuff.
January 13, 2007 3:29:40 PM

Quote:
This stuff is really new and, unfortunately for you both, ATI support sucks in Linux. It's better but still pales in comparision to NVidia. I'd suggest (as you were planning/have done) reinstalling in light of the fact that you had nothing important on there. You might want to give 10.2 a try as apparently they made things very simple (link)
The most important part is to ensure that you've installed and enabled the closed-source, vendor-provided binary drivers. Here are some instructions (follow the correct one for your distro version) then, after rebooting (or at least restarting X) check to make sure that the ATI-provided openGL libs are being used
Code:
//Open a terminal
glxinfo|grep -i vendor
//Make sure it lists ATI, not MESA

This is a usually stumbling block on the road to wobbly goodness. Good luck and stop on back if you have other problems/questions.

Well, just to let you know... I have a Geforce 5700LE (I know it's old, but this comp is just for like my dad... and a few of my photos... so I didn't really need to go all-out on this). I'm doing a fresh install of SuSe and I'll try it again... I think I know what I did wrong...
a b 5 Linux
January 15, 2007 12:35:43 AM

Ok, then with an NVidia card, it's mucho easier since the latest NVidia drivers have built-in AIGLX-support.

Basically, you don't, I repeat, don't need to install XGL at all, just use X. Basically, I will try to, through the magic of ASCII graphics, show the difference between XGL (older NVidia binaries, ATI binaries) and built-in AIGLX (newer NVidia binaries, open-source ATI, open-source Intel for chipsets i810 and later)

[code:1:D e38e5ef7d]
XGL

[Card]<->[Driver]<-->[3d XGL Server]<-->[Graphical Desktop]
\->[Other X libs]------/

Built-in AIGLX
[Card]<->[Driver+AIGLX]<->[Regular X Server w/ new libs]<->[Graphical Desktop]
[/code:1:D e38e5ef7d]

As such, you should not need to install XGL, rather just install compiz or beryl, make some slight changes to X to enable and start AIGLX capability, and you should be golden (except when viewing Swing applets, let me know if you need a custom Java build ;) ) Here's a pertinent HOW-TO I found.
January 15, 2007 1:08:16 AM

Oh... well I already installed XGL... oh well... not much disc space wasted. Ok.. so I'll get back to you once I get this done... or if I have any questions concerning linux. Ya... I'm still a newb when I comes to linux.. but I'm learning and loving it!
January 15, 2007 1:48:31 PM

Quote:
Ya... I'm still a newb when I comes to linux.. but I'm learning and loving it!

and that is the most important part :) 
learning and loving it!!

Windows is dead!
Long Live Linux!

Lol... I'm putting Vista Ultimate on my new comp... and SuSe as well. I'm only using Vista because... read/writing to NTFS is a pain with linux... as I found out.
January 16, 2007 8:44:37 PM

Coolness, I'll definitely check that out.