Case Suggestion for 8800GTX

leej009

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Hi All-

I'm looking for a good exhausting case that will fit a 8800 GTX...i was looking at the gigabyte aurora 3d but just read a review from somebody saying that a 8800 gtx won't fit in there so any suggestions would be great...

thanks

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
3D Aurora 570 is an awesome case. If you want to fit a 8800GTX you should look at longer full towers such as Thermaltake Armor and Kandalf, Coolermaster Stacker 832, 830 and 810, NZXT Zero, Silverstone TJ09, TJ07, TJ03, some Lian Li cases. Not only these fill house your card but you can also put a large PSU in any of these which is also important. These are all quality cases, get something that will sere your needs and be nice-looking in your opinion.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hi All-

I'm looking for a good exhausting case that will fit a 8800 GTX...i was looking at the gigabyte aurora 3d but just read a review from somebody saying that a 8800 gtx won't fit in there so any suggestions would be great...

thanks

Hehe, reminds me of a quote from Sin City...

"Get me a hardtop with a decent engine, and make sure it's got a big trunk..."

Nearly any full atx case should work, just look at reviews and pics online before you buy. You don't need to spend a ton to get a decent case. Anything under $50 will actually work and you're better off spending cash on hardware that actually makes a difference in performance. Just make sure you replace any cheap PSU's that come with your case. At least you're doing your homework. I bought a case for my ATI AIW card and the card didn't fit the case. I worked around it, but how annoying is that?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
The kind of case he gets should depend on his budget and how long does he want it to last. I suggested a bigger case only because it will last him longer, through a few upgrades and may be even his next build. I don't know how much he plans to spend on his system, but if it's a higher end system he is much better off with a quality case, with good airflow and plenty of room to hide various cables. A substandard $50 case just won't do if that is the case. If he can't afford the best then there are some good cases in the $100 to $150 range that will have room for a 8800GTX. This is just my opinion though, ultimately it's his choice.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The kind of case he gets should depend on his budget and how long does he want it to last. I suggested a bigger case only because it will last him longer, through a few upgrades and may be even his next build. I don't know how much he plans to spend on his system, but if it's a higher end system he is much better off with a quality case, with good airflow and plenty of room to hide various cables. A substandard $50 case just won't do if that is the case. If he can't afford the best then there are some good cases in the $100 to $150 range that will have room for a 8800GTX. This is just my opinion though, ultimately it's his choice.

Just because a case is $50 or less doesn't mean it's "sub-standard" and many people prefer to get a new case when they build a new PC. Most of the cases I've seen at LAN parties look like crap because people abuse them. There are perfectly nice, spacious, easy to use cases that will suit almost ANYONE's need for under $50. It was just opinionated advice. Of course he can take it or leave it. I don't need you ringing my bell and complaining. K neighbor? Everyone on these forums wants to get into a heated argument. I don't have time for you. Sorry. I've bought three cases in the last year. One full sized ATX Thermaltake case, one mATX case, and one solid HTPC. All were about $100+ I also have a case sitting downstairs that is brand new from Ultra that retails for about $60. It's perfectly fine and I'll probably use it in my next build. Sure it's SECC steel. But it's fine. It came as part of a combo.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Not looking to pick a fight with you, friend. I just wanted to share what i'e learned because i was throughly researching cases for my own build. If he wants to go to LAN parties, then by all means he should get a lighter and cheaper case, this is exactly why i told him to get something that would serve his needs and his budget, something that appeals to him. Yes, my reply is opnionated, many suggestion type replies are, but i did say it was only my opnion, just because our opinions differ it doesn't mean i'm trying to get on your case.

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Wouldn't a heavier, more robust case be better for lan?

Anyway, google is your friend:

http://www.tosk.co.uk/8800/

I like the p180 personally, keeps the psu air separate from the case air and is soundproofed.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Not looking to pick a fight with you, friend. I just wanted to share what i'e learned because i was throughly researching cases for my own build. If he wants to go to LAN parties, then by all means he should get a lighter and cheaper case, this is exactly why i told him to get something that would serve his needs and his budget, something that appeals to him. Yes, my reply is opnionated, many suggestion type replies are, but i did say it was only my opnion, just because our opinions differ it doesn't mean i'm trying to get on your case.

Maybe I just got irked by how you worded it. No hard feelings anyway. Umm, lighter cases = good for lan because you don't have to heft around a 40lb case. My Thermaltake Kandalf is VERY heavy, and so I built another gaming PC. It's in a mATX box, a tiny little Aspire X-Qpack. I love it. It's like 1x1x1.5 ft. It's a $90 case (which I took the PSU out of) so who cares if it gets banged up a bit. The mobo is a mATX board too, so it wasn't that costly either. Two 120mm fans, a vid card cooler and CPU cooler and we're good to go. Only thing better is water cooling. That's my future build if I get more serious about LAN'n. The raptor I have in it is pretty loud too, but the PC overall isn't that noisy. It beats out a lot of the machines at the LAN (80+ people last time it met) and is smaller than just about any there I think. The party is in a big building with stairs...so lugging my huge Thermaltake Kandalf up it time and again is out of the question. It weighs probably at least 50lbs.

So if you're LAN-ing I recommend shooting for a cheap, fast, and light system. If you're serious about gaming, forget the lights too, they can be annoying in dark areas. Make sure you have good cooling as LAN parties tend to be warm. Who cares about noise too, over other systems and all the gaming you won't hear much anyway.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Oh, and my X-Qpack case will fit the longest cards. I have an X1950GT in it and there's at about 2 inches to spare.

Here's a few links if you're interested in looking at some cases.

http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?dp=1&categry=134&dt=2&ob=a&nl=50&anchor=#displaytop

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=7&name=ATX-Computer-Cases

(Mini-ATX cases@ZipZoom)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=110203
U can click links to see other sizes.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=32

That ultra-Xblaster is the one I have that's not in use. And that Microfly one is about like my X-Qpack. Small systems can be a pain to build though, word of warning.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Agreed, no hard feelings. Like you said, it would've been nice if he had given us a little more to go on before asking for advice, things like system specs, what he is looking for in a case, LAN parties or no LAN parties. Saying that he needs a case to fit an 8800GTX is not really enough therefore it is diffult to suggest something concrete. I think leej009 should look at the list of cases which support 8800GTX which was brought up by one of the earlier posters and pick something from there or if he needs a smaaler light-weight LAN party case get something you suggested.

leej009

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
sorry guys...thanks for all the response so far...basically it's going to stay put once it's put together...like i said before i'm just concerned about the card fitting at all first most...and i want to have a good ventilating case as well...here are the specs that i'm planning so far...i've checked out the list of compatible cases and it's been very helpful

evga 680i atx motherboard
2gb pc-6400 ddr2 ram
e6600 core 2 duo cpu
2x 150 gb hd in raid 0
620 hx corsair psu

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
That list was for the UK wasn't it? Cases vary by continent.
Before buying ANY case, I recommend you google for several reviews on a case you like. At least, if you care about plunkin' down $100 or so.

If you want good ventilation, I'd say try to find a case with 120mm (12cm) fans/fan slots. They're much quieter and move more air. If you can't, go for one that has 92mm fans, although they are louder than 120mm typically. Steer clear of the horrid 80mm fans and even worse, 60mm fans. Eww!

It's funny that they say aluminum cases dissipitate heat better. It's a load of crock. SECC steel tends to be much thinner than aluminum (which bends more easily, thus aluminum cases are thicker). Sure aluminum might radiate more heat, but it also absorbs more heat. When it's that thin and just internal temps, you might notice a .5 degree difference. Basically, none. The problem with cheap steel cases is that they can make a rattling noise sometimes, and cut your fingers a little (although aluminum can too) when you're building it. Not all steel cases have sharp edges though. There are some that wrap or bend the steel so that it cna't hurt you. Grinding down edges helps too sometimes.

The advantage of steel is that they're typically cheaper and lighter weight than the big heavy aluminum cases.

For the average first time builder I'd recommending buying a steel case without acrylic windows, possibly black in color (goes with anything), and probably mid-atx size. CoolerMaster has some nice cheap cases. I was recommending those in another forum awhile back. They had a great one for $30. Ultra and Antec put out a few nice affordable cases as well. Just remember to read reviews so you have an idea of just what you're getting.