Comcast HD DVR

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 19, 2004 5:18:48 PM

I never thought I'd pay to record tv but... *sigh*

I read that Comcast's DVR supports HD. Can someone here give some
reviews and answer the questions below:

1. How good is the picture quality? Is there much artifacts when
pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding "live" tv?
2. Does Comcast throw in any ads that can't be skipped? I understand
tivo plans to do this next year...
3. How many hours of HD can be recorded? Wired mag claims about 10hrs
4. Is the menu as bad as Wired mag claims?
5. Any talk of upgrading the DVR to support better compression, e.g. mpeg4?
6. Any versions support 2 tuners (ie recording while watching another chan)?

I was thinking about buying another VCR, but the DVR would be nice to have,
esp since I wouldn't have to pay for the hardware. TIA

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance

More about : comcast dvr

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 9:13:43 PM

"CygnusX-1" <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
>I never thought I'd pay to record tv but... *sigh*
>
> I read that Comcast's DVR supports HD. Can someone here give some
> reviews and answer the questions below:
>
> 1. How good is the picture quality? Is there much artifacts when
> pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding "live" tv?

The picture quality is identical to that seen "live" since the recorder just
stores the normal data stream. The locally digitized analog channels store
also look fine.

> 2. Does Comcast throw in any ads that can't be skipped? I understand
> tivo plans to do this next year...

No... the DVR playback (for now) is completely under your control
There are however no guarantees for the future as the software on the STB is
remotely updated.

> 3. How many hours of HD can be recorded? Wired mag claims about 10hrs

Depends on your location - my Richmond VA SA8000HD stores 20 hours of HD, or
as I recall, 160 hours of normal digital cable content.

> 4. Is the menu as bad as Wired mag claims?

There are several software loads... but I find mine easy to use.
There aren't as many features as TiVo for selecting shows and the system
doesn't learn.
But it also cheaper and requires no hardware purchase (much cheaper).

> 5. Any talk of upgrading the DVR to support better compression, e.g.
> mpeg4?

The Comcast DVR doesn't recompress digital streams. I don't know if the
codecs are hard or soft.
If soft, additional codecs can be downloaded.

> 6. Any versions support 2 tuners (ie recording while watching another
> chan)?

My SA8000HD can record 2 channels while watching a stored show - all in HD
(pretty impressive)

> I was thinking about buying another VCR, but the DVR would be nice to
> have,
> esp since I wouldn't have to pay for the hardware. TIA
>
> Cygnus
> The Bringer of Balance

Forget the VCR, the HD DVR will change your TV viewing habits forever
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:26:33 AM

I agree (here in Mass.) c. all this. We are just getting the 2 tuner box
and I don't have it yet, but otherwise I'm very happy the the Comcast DVR.
"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "CygnusX-1" <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
> >I never thought I'd pay to record tv but... *sigh*
> >
> > I read that Comcast's DVR supports HD. Can someone here give some
> > reviews and answer the questions below:
> >
> > 1. How good is the picture quality? Is there much artifacts when
> > pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding "live" tv?
>
> The picture quality is identical to that seen "live" since the recorder
just
> stores the normal data stream. The locally digitized analog channels store
> also look fine.
>
> > 2. Does Comcast throw in any ads that can't be skipped? I understand
> > tivo plans to do this next year...
>
> No... the DVR playback (for now) is completely under your control
> There are however no guarantees for the future as the software on the STB
is
> remotely updated.
>
> > 3. How many hours of HD can be recorded? Wired mag claims about 10hrs
>
> Depends on your location - my Richmond VA SA8000HD stores 20 hours of HD,
or
> as I recall, 160 hours of normal digital cable content.
>
> > 4. Is the menu as bad as Wired mag claims?
>
> There are several software loads... but I find mine easy to use.
> There aren't as many features as TiVo for selecting shows and the system
> doesn't learn.
> But it also cheaper and requires no hardware purchase (much cheaper).
>
> > 5. Any talk of upgrading the DVR to support better compression, e.g.
> > mpeg4?
>
> The Comcast DVR doesn't recompress digital streams. I don't know if the
> codecs are hard or soft.
> If soft, additional codecs can be downloaded.
>
> > 6. Any versions support 2 tuners (ie recording while watching another
> > chan)?
>
> My SA8000HD can record 2 channels while watching a stored show - all in HD
> (pretty impressive)
>
> > I was thinking about buying another VCR, but the DVR would be nice to
> > have,
> > esp since I wouldn't have to pay for the hardware. TIA
> >
> > Cygnus
> > The Bringer of Balance
>
> Forget the VCR, the HD DVR will change your TV viewing habits forever

November 20, 2004 10:49:09 PM

Thanx for your response. I prob will get it. One more question:
can Comcast HD DVR be hacked to support a larger HD? According to
Wired, it supports only 10 hours of HD content.

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<T4udnfmX840t4APcRVn-hA@comcast.com>...
> "CygnusX-1" <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
> >I never thought I'd pay to record tv but... *sigh*
> >
> > I read that Comcast's DVR supports HD. Can someone here give some
> > reviews and answer the questions below:
> >
> > 1. How good is the picture quality? Is there much artifacts when
> > pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding "live" tv?
>
> The picture quality is identical to that seen "live" since the recorder just
> stores the normal data stream. The locally digitized analog channels store
> also look fine.
>
> > 2. Does Comcast throw in any ads that can't be skipped? I understand
> > tivo plans to do this next year...
>
> No... the DVR playback (for now) is completely under your control
> There are however no guarantees for the future as the software on the STB is
> remotely updated.
>
> > 3. How many hours of HD can be recorded? Wired mag claims about 10hrs
>
> Depends on your location - my Richmond VA SA8000HD stores 20 hours of HD, or
> as I recall, 160 hours of normal digital cable content.
>
> > 4. Is the menu as bad as Wired mag claims?
>
> There are several software loads... but I find mine easy to use.
> There aren't as many features as TiVo for selecting shows and the system
> doesn't learn.
> But it also cheaper and requires no hardware purchase (much cheaper).
>
> > 5. Any talk of upgrading the DVR to support better compression, e.g.
> > mpeg4?
>
> The Comcast DVR doesn't recompress digital streams. I don't know if the
> codecs are hard or soft.
> If soft, additional codecs can be downloaded.
>
> > 6. Any versions support 2 tuners (ie recording while watching another
> > chan)?
>
> My SA8000HD can record 2 channels while watching a stored show - all in HD
> (pretty impressive)
>
> > I was thinking about buying another VCR, but the DVR would be nice to
> > have,
> > esp since I wouldn't have to pay for the hardware. TIA
> >
> > Cygnus
> > The Bringer of Balance
>
> Forget the VCR, the HD DVR will change your TV viewing habits forever
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 3:05:46 PM

I am quite certain, for the time being at least, that the box will belong to
the cableco and only rented to you like the original cable/DSL modems for
broadband. "Hollywood", however, wants content control. I gotta doubt the
end user will have free reign on all possible uses for that content without
(some) restrictions.
YMMV
--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

> Thanx for your response. I prob will get it. One more question:
> can Comcast HD DVR be hacked to support a larger HD? According to
> Wired, it supports only 10 hours of HD content.
>
> Cygnus
> The Bringer of Balance

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 6:08:20 PM

The 10 hours sounds correct, possibly a little conservative. Naturally
non-HD channels use about 1/4 the space. You can set the records to delete
automatically when room is needed in case you're saving some old recordings
you're not sure you need. These are the Motorola DVR's so if you do an web
search you can find specs on them.

I just exchanged mine for the 2 tuner model, no fee and no change in price.
The menu's are different - some features I like some I don't. But it does
change channels MUCH faster. It also has a larger hard drive so it stores
more, sorry I can't remember how much but I think it's 30 to 50% larger.

"CygnusX-1" <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
>I never thought I'd pay to record tv but... *sigh*
>
> I read that Comcast's DVR supports HD. Can someone here give some
> reviews and answer the questions below:
>
> 1. How good is the picture quality? Is there much artifacts when
> pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding "live" tv?
> 2. Does Comcast throw in any ads that can't be skipped? I understand
> tivo plans to do this next year...
> 3. How many hours of HD can be recorded? Wired mag claims about 10hrs
> 4. Is the menu as bad as Wired mag claims?
> 5. Any talk of upgrading the DVR to support better compression, e.g.
> mpeg4?
> 6. Any versions support 2 tuners (ie recording while watching another
> chan)?
>
> I was thinking about buying another VCR, but the DVR would be nice to
> have,
> esp since I wouldn't have to pay for the hardware. TIA
>
> Cygnus
> The Bringer of Balance
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 6:06:48 PM

I ordered the HD DVR today and the 2 tuner model is available in my
area (chicago). Here are the specs: 2 tuners, 128GB, 15hrs HD, 60 hrs
analog/dig, PIP. I asked him about the FW port. He mentioned that it
will be indeed active, altho comcast does not officially support. Has
anyone used it to d/l video to a PC?? I will have to pay about $13
for the install, since I did not want to wait, and the fact that I
already have the cables.

He was really hyping On Demand as comcast's next big thing, their
killer app over satellite. I mentioned to him that it has
potential and cost savings (possibly elminating the need of
local cable access channels) but it could also affect sales of
the DVR service.

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance

!