Dealing with the Puerto Rican heat...

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I currently own a P4 Socket 478 system, and my temps run around 60 degrees plus when gaiming. I live in Puerto Rico without an air conditioner. My room temperature ranges from 80-90 degrees.

I am going to do a ultra high end upgrade to my system and I am a bit worried about the heat so I wanted to ask people if I should worry or not.

Heres what I plan on purchasing;

E6600
2 x 8800 GTX for SLI
BenQ 241w

Im getting rid of my current case in favor of a P180 cause I know that that alone will help with the cooling. Im buying two additional fans for intake.

I do not plan on OCing cause I will be gaming at 1920x1200, no real benefit from OCing there.

Can I keep my stock cooler? Do I need to consider better cooling methods for my SLI? Should I purchase a small individual fan just for my PC? Am I too paranoid?

silentassassin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I think he means farenheit!

Summer 2006 in the uk was 36 degrees celcious & almost fried my old pc, so i know how worrying these things can be.

The core2 processors generate less heat than the p4's so definatly stick with the e6600.

I would recommend using a better cpu cooler than stock because its so poor & messes up with the rest of the temp in a pc's case.

The 8800 is going to be the main problem of heat generation.

What size fans can u fit on that case, & how many.In areas with loads of heat, the trick is to make sure that no air stays in ur case, it has to go in, then straight out, so if u can give me detailed info on ur planned set up, ie where the psu & mb go & where the fans can be located, ill be able to tell u whats would be best.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
You can't fit the 8800 GTX in the P180, unless you leave some hard drive bays empty. Try the Antec P900 maybe, it doesn't have this problem and it also has better cooling. It's not as quiet as the P180, unfortunately.

pat

Expert
I currently own a P4 Socket 478 system, and my temps run around 60 degrees plus when gaiming. I live in Puerto Rico without an air conditioner. My room temperature ranges from 80-90 degrees.

I am going to do a ultra high end upgrade to my system and I am a bit worried about the heat so I wanted to ask people if I should worry or not.

E6600
2 x 8800 GTX for SLI
BenQ 241w

Im getting rid of my current case in favor of a P180 cause I know that that alone will help with the cooling. Im buying two additional fans for intake.

I do not plan on OCing cause I will be gaming at 1920x1200, no real benefit from OCing there.

Can I keep my stock cooler? Do I need to consider better cooling methods for my SLI? Should I purchase a small individual fan just for my PC? Am I too paranoid?

I don't know, but the heat generated by the 2 video card may be a bit hard to manage. Maybe you could try with one first, then if really necessary, add the other one later.

By the way, I spent 2 weeks travelling aroud PR island and I really enjoyed the weather over there.. If not too indiscret, from which place in PR you are?

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

E6600
2 x 8800 GTX for SLI
BenQ 241w

I don't know, but the heat generated by the 2 video card may be a bit hard to manage. Maybe you could try with one first, then if really necessary, add the other one later.

By the way, I spent 2 weeks travelling aroud PR island and I really enjoyed the weather over there.. If not too indiscret, from which place in PR you are?

Weathers alright as long as theres a breeze but the beach breeze doesnt get into my room as often as id like. I live in San Juan in the Santurce area. Where did you hang around?

I plan on doing exactly that. I want to purchase one 8800 GTX and as soon as I decide to play a game that doesnt cut it at 1920x1200, ill buy the second one. Might happen when Assasins Creed or Brothers in Arms Hells Highway come out.

I also read that the 8800 GTX will be dropping to $450 as soon as the 8900 GTX comes out. Anyone know when that might be happening?

Anyway, Ill obviously see how my case is doing with the heat with the first one, and ill know for sure what will happen with the second.

@dsidious

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on keeping the middle bays empty, and possibly removing the cage so it should not be a problem, however I see your point and should plan for future HD additions. I googled p900 and couldnt find it. Are you sure thats the correct model #.

Do you have any other suggestions? The thermaltake Armor looks good but I would have to pay too much for shipping since the P180 can be purchased locally.

@SilentAssassin

I was planning on purchasing the P180 and adding two 120mm fans to the front for intake.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
gentrinity said:
E6600
2 x 8800 GTX for SLI
BenQ 241w
If you can afford the above-mentioned hardware, purchasing a 6000 BTU air conditioner for your room should be no issue for you. You can probably find a 6k BTU AC for 125USD easily, and it'll give you better results than any high-end coolers using high temp ambient.

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
You make a valid point, however strange it may be, I actually do not want an air conditioner. I like the heat and am very happy with just my fan keeping me cool. I dont want to get into details so its suffice to say that I wont be purchasing an AC unit.

Thank you for you suggestion though.

pat

Expert
You make a valid point, however strange it may be, I actually do not want an air conditioner. I like the heat and am very happy with just my fan keeping me cool. I dont want to get into details so its suffice to say that I wont be purchasing an AC unit.

Thank you for you suggestion though.

So, if I remember right, you live near the Bacardi plant??

You don't have to AC all your room, but you can find an old refregerator that is still working and use the compressor and all the stuff to cool your case. It can be a lot of custom fitting, but might be interresting.

The noise might be annoying thou...

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Yes you are right, I wont put up very long with the noise.

Im a bit far from the Bacardi plant. Id say about 20-30 minutes or so. I live about 5 minutes from the airport.

Im reconsidering another alternative to my purchase, I dont know if this would be recommended but I like the idea.

I will start off with a 22" inch screen, holding off the upgrade for the Benq for now, thus saving me over $700.

I would then purchase two eVGA 8800 GTS for SLI. Then, at around the 75th day, ill send one by one in for the eVGA step up program and get my two 8800 GTXs, or possibly the 8900 GTXs.

Making that purchase right now would be about the same cost as one 8800 GTX and I would get better performance. Then upgrading to the 8900 GTX set up would be fairly inexpensive.

I just need to get a 850W PSU upfront.

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I have an idea...

How about going case less?

What are the pros and cons of that?

One pro I can think of is the instantaneous resolution of the cooling problem.

I have one question though, can I have two PSUs with my system? In this manner, I could probably purchase a seperate lower capacity PSU instead of a $300 1KW PSU to power everything.

The dust would be a problem but I still get plenty of dust inside my case anyway, so its just a matter of it accumalating more rapidly. However, caseless allow for much much easier cleanup.

sailer

Splendid
[Do you have any other suggestions? The thermaltake Armor looks good but I would have to pay too much for shipping since the P180 can be purchased locally.

I had originally planned on buying a Thermaltake Armor case but ended up getting their Eureka case. It is a bit deeper and thus provides plenty of room for either a 8800 GTX or the R600, if and when that ever is released. It has two 120mm fans and I'm planning on putting a third fan on the top to exhaust hot air. So if you can get one locally and not have to pay high shipping, I'd suggest the Eureka for an easy fit of your 8800 cards.

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Im going to have to call the local vendors to see if its available. CompUSA doesnt have it locally, they only have the P180. Ill continue to look but the case looks very very good, I might consider it if its not too much more expensive. Its 25 inches in depth so this freakin thing should the 8800 GTX and then some.

Thanks for the find.

brer_squid

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
You're probably being a little bit paranoid about the heat, but as long as you didn't drop $200 on a watercooling rig no harm has been done yet.

You can certainly assemble your new machine, turn it on and use SpeedFan to check the temps. If you're not OCing then the stock cooler may be enough.

If things are too warm for your liking then work on getting airflow to the parts you need to cool. This can be done for free by cleaning up your cables (folding works better than round cable cable folding example) and using cardboard ducts to direct the air where you need it to go.