Power supply for new build. Please advise.....

crup

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Ok... here we go. I'm putting together a new system and would like some power supply advice. Here are the components I have selected:

Core 2 duo - E6420
Asus P5B-E
2 GB (2X1GB) DDR2
A 7600GT based Video card
3 Sata II HDs (2 raided and one for OS)
1 Sata DVD/RW

I'm thinking about getting this Thermaltake power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153028

Will this PS work for me? The total amps on the combined 12V rails is fine but I'm concerned I'll run into problems on 12V1 (HDs, vidoecard... etc).

If not, are there any other good PS in that price range (~$50) that will work?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Forton makes quality PSUs, and if you are looking for a quiet PSU i'd recomend a Corsair 520W, it's a great unit, though it may cost more than you are willing to pay $114 after MIR at newegg, but may be you'll be able to find it for less elsewhere. If you are planning to add another video card and run SLI that should be taken into an account when select your power supply.

crup

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
So am I putting too much weight on the dual 12V rails? I notice that most of the time when the power supply brains post, they only refer to total 12A. I was under the impression that one rail (12V2 I think) is used exclusively for the CPU. that would leave the other rail to handle everything else (HDs, PCI-e, etc). With the current limiting that they have now on the Dual 12V power supples, won't I be pushing 14A on the non-cpu 12V rail with my setup?

crup

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Gotcha! I can't thank you guys enough. This has given me some great info..... Its a great public service you perform.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Also a thing to not is the amp ratings per rails are max amounts that rtail can handle and not what will actually be supplied to that rail. Real world numbers will differ and may be 2A under it's max rating.

Or more...I have seen specs that when added up exceed the total INPUT from the wall outlet for the PSU.

As you know I don't like multi rail units at all.
If your going to use high end parts to build with you should use the best PSU you can get...now is not the time to skimp or try to save a few $.
A further benift of starting off with a better PSU is that when you upgrade GFX/CPU or more/larger HD's you don't have to shelf the old unit and buy that 2nd one.

I would also point out that even though newer HD's use less watts overall than those of even 4 years ago that ALL units take about 3 times the running watts durring spin up.
Better to figure 3 amps per HD and/or stage the spin up for your drives if your MB supports that function.