neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Hello there. I have this old laptop hard drive that I need to get files from but I dont have a laptop. (this is the drive here - http://www.impactcomputers.com/45h8791.html

I tryed googling for some kind of converter but they all seem to be for a different kind of laptop drive plug. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, can you please help me? Thank you in advance.

can you get a pic of the interface on the drive?
there are many ide to usb adapters. if it fits i would get an all in one ide(and laptop ide{whats the technical name for that?}) and sata one. This way you can work with other drives in the future.

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I guess i'll just describe it then. It's like a trapezoid looking plastic connector, with metal fingers on the inside. The connector faces down, not to the side like a regular drive. It's to an old ibm thinkpad so maybe its a proprietry connector? I looked all over google and I couldn't find it so if anyone could please help me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

dortmund371

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
use a usb stick (flash memory) plug it into your lappy and send the files by right clicking on them send them pop the stick out and trans for if you need more ino pm me

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Unfortunately, the laptop died and now its in a million pieces in a cardboard box somewhere. What i'm really looking for is a convertor (or someones old outdated laptop :wink: ) The problem is that I cant find the right converter anywhere for the type of connector it uses. Thank you for trying to help though.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If it has a 44 pins its an IDE drive with PS connections. You can get STD IDE adapters for under ~$10. This will allow you to connect it to your desk top.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
How do I put a picture into a post from my computer?
[/img]

How do we post pics here?

Vista 32bit | Core 2 Duo E6600 | BFG GeForce 8800 GTX | Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2X1GB DDR2-800 | 3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID Controller with BBM | WD 150GB Raptor x2 RAID 0 - OS | WD 150GB Raptor x2 RAID 0 - Data | SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series | Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T | Asus Striker Extreme | PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR | Silverstone Temjim TJ07 | Zalman CNPS9700 NT | Coolit Beverage Chiller (pride of the system)

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Why are you asking me if I don't know lol. Well, the hard drive doesn't have any pins, it has a bunch metal contact fingers. On all the websites I go to the interface always says other. I'm thinking that maybe it's some kind of special ibm connection, but i'm not too sure. I know someone has to know what I'm talking about, It's not that old of a hard drive.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Gotta see some pictures of it for us to begin to guess.

Can you post the pictures on another web site (personal home page, etc.) and then post the links here?

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
It's easy once you figure it out. It's always hardest the first time around.

0559-badluck.jpg

Vista 32bit | Core 2 Duo E6600 | BFG GeForce 8800 GTX | Patriot EP 2X1GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-9| 3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID Controller with BBU | 150GB Raptor x2 RAID 0 - OS | 150GB Raptor x2 RAID 0 - Data | 150GB Raptor - Swap/Backup | SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series | Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T | Asus Striker Extreme | PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR | Silverstone Temjin TJ07 | Zalman CNPS9700 NT

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Its not mine in the pic, it just shows what kind of connector it uses because I couldn't figure out how to post a pic (but I just figured it out now myself while reading other posts). That pics is good enough right? All I have is a crappy cell phone pic.

Well, it says it's in a caddy. remove it from the caddy and see what you have.

what he means is that the drive is in a holder. try to get the drive out....look for screws. My Compaq drive looks messed until i take the special plug off.

Is it possible(way out in left field) that IBM used some kind of SCSI device. that connector looks to have too many pins for IDE

does this look like the other end?

Mini_Centronics_60.jpg

if it does....dont take any scews out and look for an old scsi card from ibm and what ever adapter you need

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Well I have the drive out of the laptop already. Theres no screws even near the connector piece so thats how it must connect. It looks just like that pic where it plugs into, so it might be scsi?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The link you posted was just for the caddie, so it must seperate. The connector looks like a scsi. But you want know for sure untill you figure out how to get the caddie off.

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Didn't you read my post? The caddy is just to show what kind of connector it uses, its not mine. I wouldn't be selling it on ebay if i was trying to recover it lol.

Ok, if its scsi, how would i convert that to ide?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I new your original post was to indicate the sled connector. Have you figured out how to take the sled apart to get to the HD?

You need to pull all of the markings off of the HD and do a search. The reason I say this is that some MFG use the same connector on IDE sleds. You need to confirm by the markings on the HD that it is a SCSI. NO Guess Work hear, or you could fry something. And there are may flavors and connectors for them. They make a lot of adapters for SCSI. BUT SCSI cables and adapters can be outrages in price.

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Well the HD was originaly in a laptop, but i have it out sitting around. I dont really know what kind of connector it is, but that pic from ebay is exactly what it looks like.

913f_1_b.JPG

915c_1_sbl.JPG

Theres 2 screws at the top, but it seems like its for the drive, not an extra converter. Is that what a laptop scsi looks like?

jcrews

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I can't see the screws you're talking about, but if they're on the side closest to the connector (top vs bottom), and near the corners, then they would be the disk drive mounting screws. My 560Z laptop had a caddy that was intuitive to disassemble.

The best way to go about this is to look up the FRU for this drive on the IBM web site. There are often manuals, exploded views, etc for each part. FRU is the same as an LRU, meaning "Field replaceable unit."

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I tried searching google and ibms site, but I couldn't find a manual. The screws I was talking to is in the second picture on the very bottom right, and the other one is ajacent to that one. It looks like its part of the drive though. Is there a difference between laptop scsi and regular scsi?

jcrews

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I just can't see them. I just see what look like sprue hole marks on the bottom molding. I must be going blind or my portable display doesn't handle low contrast well :) It does look like you have a clamshell type case that pops apart for access to the bare drive. There may be screws near the connector that help keep it together.

I doubt it's SCSI. Most laptops have IDE, and I've never seen an IBM with a SCSI disk. A lot of manufacturers put a custom connector on the disk drive by using an adapter in the disk caddy/frame. This makes the connection more robust and/or easier to service rather than risking using the bare pin-type connector which is easily damaged. What's the FRU # on yours?