Transfer data SE to XP?

April 23, 2005 11:46:25 PM

Hi,
I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and I just
got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring data from my
old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could hook up my old HD
with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data that way. Would that work?
Emails, contacts, spread sheets, favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95 and
Win 98 programs will work in XP.)
Thanks,
jll
fake addy

More about : transfer data

April 23, 2005 11:46:26 PM

jll wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and I just
> got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring data from my
> old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could hook up my old HD
> with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data that way. Would that work?
> Emails, contacts, spread sheets, favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95 and
> Win 98 programs will work in XP.)
> Thanks,
> jll
> fake addy

yes
you may transfer data from your old pc to your new one...
many ways to do it:
network the two machines or use a USB data transfer cable...
or even just take the drive out of the old machine and (temporarily)
install it in the new

with apps , however you need to reinstall
April 23, 2005 11:46:26 PM

jll wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and
> I just got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring
> data from my old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could
> hook up my old HD with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data
> that way. Would that work? Emails, contacts, spread sheets,
> favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95 and Win 98 programs will work
> in XP.)

If you have a network card in both computers, use file-sharing with a
router. If there is no router, use a crossover cable.
April 24, 2005 2:50:20 AM

"jll" <jll@nobodyhome.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and I just
>got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring data from my
>old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could hook up my old HD
>with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data that way. Would that work?
>Emails, contacts, spread sheets, favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95 and
>Win 98 programs will work in XP.)
>Thanks,
>jll
>fake addy

The easiest way of doing this is to use the "Files and Settings
Transfer" wizard that comes with Windows XP to transfer your user data
files and program configuration settings. Application programs will
have to be reinstalled.

1. Run FASTW on your new XP machine (Start - All Programs -
Accessories - System Tools - Files and Settings Transfer Wizard) and
choose the option to create a Wizard disk to run on your other
computer.

2. Take the diskette that is created in step 1 to your old computer
and run the program on it. Create a new folder named C:\Transfer and
tell the program to save the results there.

3. While FASTW is gather the data install the various application
programs you need on the Windows XP machine.

4. You have several options for getting the data from the old computer
to the new one when FASTW is finished, including
- Network the two machines with a crossover cable.
- Remove the hard drive from the old machine and install it
temporarily as a second hard drive in the new machine. This is best
done by using the data lead and power cable from the CDROM/CDRW/DVD
drive in the new computer (normally these are on the secondary IDE
channel) so as to avoid any complications with master/slave drive
jumper settings. Run FASTW on the new machine and tell it to import
the saved data from the (D:\)Transfer folder.
- Use a USB external drive enclosure as you proposed and import the
data as above.

For more detailed information see MVP Gary Woodruff's article on FASTW
at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Good luck

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:22:36 AM

Thanks to all, especially R. Martell, for the useful information. It may not
be that bad afterall. BTW, I'm using OE 5.5, will OE 6 accept my old stuff?
Thanks again,
"jll" <jll@nobodyhome.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and I
just
> got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring data from my
> old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could hook up my old HD
> with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data that way. Would that
work?
> Emails, contacts, spread sheets, favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95
and
> Win 98 programs will work in XP.)
> Thanks,
> jll
> fake addy

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:22:37 AM

> Thanks to all, especially R. Martell, for the useful information. It may
> not
> be that bad afterall. BTW, I'm using OE 5.5, will OE 6 accept my old
> stuff?
> Thanks again,

Yes.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

You can use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard within XP. If you insert
your cd into the 98 machine, run the wizard to collect the files and settings
and follow instructions for transferral.

"jll" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and I just
> got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring data from my
> old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could hook up my old HD
> with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data that way. Would that work?
> Emails, contacts, spread sheets, favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95 and
> Win 98 programs will work in XP.)
> Thanks,
> jll
> fake addy

July 9, 2005 11:17:01 PM

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "jll" <jll@nobodyhome.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I'm new to this NG and I just
> >got a new computer with XP on it. The thought of transferring data from my
> >old PC with SE to XP seems daunting. I thought I could hook up my old HD
> >with a USB 2 external enclosure and transfer data that way. Would that work?
> >Emails, contacts, spread sheets, favorites, etc.(Assuming my old Win 95 and
> >Win 98 programs will work in XP.)
> >Thanks,
> >jll
> >fake addy
> >

> The easiest way of doing this is to use the "Files and Settings
> Transfer" wizard that comes with Windows XP to transfer your user data
> files and program configuration settings. Application programs will
> have to be reinstalled.
>
> 1. Run FASTW on your new XP machine (Start - All Programs -
> Accessories - System Tools - Files and Settings Transfer Wizard) and
> choose the option to create a Wizard disk to run on your other
> computer.
>
> 2. Take the diskette that is created in step 1 to your old computer
> and run the program on it. Create a new folder named C:\Transfer and
> tell the program to save the results there.
>
> 3. While FASTW is gather the data install the various application
> programs you need on the Windows XP machine.
>
> 4. You have several options for getting the data from the old computer
> to the new one when FASTW is finished, including
> - Network the two machines with a crossover cable.
> - Remove the hard drive from the old machine and install it
> temporarily as a second hard drive in the new machine. This is best
> done by using the data lead and power cable from the CDROM/CDRW/DVD
> drive in the new computer (normally these are on the secondary IDE
> channel) so as to avoid any complications with master/slave drive
> jumper settings. Run FASTW on the new machine and tell it to import
> the saved data from the (D:\)Transfer folder.
> - Use a USB external drive enclosure as you proposed and import the
> data as above.
>
> For more detailed information see MVP Gary Woodruff's article on FASTW
> at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> Good luck
>

> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I would like to transfer information by CD. When I save or send to E drive,
I get a message that there is no disk in E drive. How do I save to E drive?

July 9, 2005 11:18:04 PM

!