ashiplikethat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Does anyone know if there is a limited amount of times you can reinstall windows XP home? I want to wipe my hardrive completly and start again using my old copy of xp home. Would i run into problems with the serial number as i would be using the same one again?

pcjim

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Yes you can reinstall as many times as you like. About every 5th time you may have to call microsoft to get an authorization number - but its painless and fairly quick. You can even install home/pro with sp2 (my orig xp disk has no service packs) and use your original cd-key for a better install.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
This time I would suggest making an image of the fresh install using Norton Ghost 2003 once drivers have been installed and the OS re activated. You can make a hardcopy or store this image on another partition/drive where you should also be keeping your office files, music, movies, downloaded internet program installers, etc. This way, the next time you want to reformat/reinstall the OS, all you have to do is tell Ghost to restore your system to the image you made. Takes only 5 minutes instead of 50, and no need to call MS.