Rusti

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I am having a horrible time since I have rebuilt my computer. After I installed a new mobo and processor, The existing install of Win XP wouldnt work. I reinstalled it, and it worked, but then I suspect my hard drive went bad. I tried formating that hard drive but it would not finish the format. I tired reinstalling windows but it would stop and freeze up some time during the install and not continue. I have since bought a new hard drive, and I am encountering the same problem. It stops while it is copying the windows setup files after I have finshed the quick format.

I dont understand why this is not working. Please help.

I thank you in advance for any help you offer.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Looks like your Windows cd might me dirty or scratched.

Also, if you're using a SATA drive, try pressing F6 when Windows prompts you to load a custom RAID driver and use the driver disk that came with your motherboard - even if you aren't using RAID. Some motherboards include their own SATA driver with the RAID drivers.

Rusti

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I have 2 or three win xp disks. I've tried two of them. So I really dont think its that. I will try the sata driver idea though.

Rusti

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
actually, I made that post before my computer froze. I tried again several times. I tried three different cd drives. 2 different hard drives, and three different win xp cds. The only other problem could have been the motherboard. Anyways, the motherboard was RMA'd through asus( I have the ASUS P5N-E SLI) There was no sata driver disc that I could find. It is not among the accessories of the box, so unless I need to download it off the web, I really dont think I need them. Anyways, I will now be dismantling my computer tommorrow. Unless anyone has anymore Ideas

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
you shouldnt need to add drivers to your windows install for sata with that motherboard, it should be setup automatically so i dont think that would be an issue.

have never really seen an issue like that before though, at what point was the windows install freezing up? Id be interested to hear that side of it.

if you rma'd the board though perhaps that will fix your issues once you get the new one back.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Diplomat696 is correct in that you don't need a seperate SATA driver for that board.

If you haven't sent it back yet - try reseating RAM, video and PCI cards. If that doesn't fix it, then check your RAM - if you have 2 sticks, try booting with one at a time.

Rusti

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
The install is freezing up usually are around 11%. I have noticed that it mostly freezes when It gets to "copying drivers.cab". Although sometimes it passes that, So I really dont know what to think. I will try to reseat everything. I really think they are all in fine though. And I will try with just one stick of ram. I have not RMA'd the item yet.

For reference, this is my system

Intel C2D 6300
Asus P5N-E SLI
Kingston HyperX PC2 5400 (2 X 512)
Seagate Sata Hard Drives.
-80 (these two will eventually be in Raid 0 when Vista comes out)
ATI Radeon X700 Pro ( I badly need to upgrade this, but I am waiting for the DX 10's to come down in price)
Creative audigy 2 ZS
Netgear NIC
Zalman 9700

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Same problem on a brand new hd? I would suspect the mobo last.

The install cd's still may be an issue. How carefully were they stored - scratched?? - you have 3 xp's?????????????

You didn't tell us if your memory checked out with Memtest?

The next suspect is cpu overheating. Heat transfer problems between cooler & cpu. Only takes 10 minutes if there is a SERIOUS problem. You can check this in the BIOS.

The next suspect is the power supply being funky. You can check this out by borrowing one from a friend and swapping out.

Rusti

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
ok, here is an update, Sorry I haven't been around, but with my computer so screwwy right now, it is hard for me to post.

I installed windows. I installed most of the drivers. However, the system is very unstable. It doesnt always boot, it usually takes me at least two tries to get it running. It wont boot with both sticks of ram in(so I am only running 512 right now). Ive heard that Nvidia chipsets dont work well with creative, so I took that card out. I would like your input on this guys. I am at a loss. This is the most trouble I have ever had with a computer.