Cursor frozen

I recently reformatted the C drive on an older desktop computer that
had slowed down because of an accumulation of spyware. Windows 98 was
reinstalled and everything worked fine for a few days and then on a recent
boot up the cursor froze and remains that way. There was no connection made
to the internet prior to the freeze and only a few basic programs were
loaded. The mouse on this machine is a serial mouse and I suspected that the
mouse might have become defective. This machine has only a serial connection
for a mouse. So I used a connector that converts a PS2 connection to a
serial connection with a PS2 mouse in order to use a different mouse. The
cursor is still frozen even with a different mouse. I also get a message on
boot up instructing me to install a PS2 mouse. This message appeared even
before I used the PS2 mouse. How do I solve this problem.

--
Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
All messages are checked for viruses before being sent.

Install a functional mouse. Unfortunately unless the mouse itself supports
PS2 to serial conversion, just using an adapter won't get the job done.
However there is also the possibility, in this instance, that the serial
port is what is causing issues rather than the mouse itself.
About all I can say with hardware of this vintage, is good luck on finding
hardware. You might try finding a PS2 splitter so that you can hook the
keyboard and mouse up to the same port.

--
Walter Clayton

"Joseph Childs" <jchilds1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> I recently reformatted the C drive on an older desktop computer that
> had slowed down because of an accumulation of spyware. Windows 98 was
> reinstalled and everything worked fine for a few days and then on a recent
> boot up the cursor froze and remains that way. There was no connection
> made to the internet prior to the freeze and only a few basic programs
> were loaded. The mouse on this machine is a serial mouse and I suspected
> that the mouse might have become defective. This machine has only a serial
> connection for a mouse. So I used a connector that converts a PS2
> connection to a serial connection with a PS2 mouse in order to use a
> different mouse. The cursor is still frozen even with a different mouse. I
> also get a message on boot up instructing me to install a PS2 mouse. This
> message appeared even before I used the PS2 mouse. How do I solve this
> problem.
>
> --
> Joseph Childs (jchilds1@nycap.rr.com)
> All messages are checked for viruses before being sent.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e41TCPESFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Joseph Childs <jchilds1@nycap.rr.com> had this to say:

> I recently reformatted the C drive on an older desktop computer
> that had slowed down because of an accumulation of spyware. Windows
> 98 was reinstalled and everything worked fine for a few days and then
> on a recent boot up the cursor froze and remains that way. There was
> no connection made to the internet prior to the freeze and only a few
> basic programs were loaded. The mouse on this machine is a serial
> mouse and I suspected that the mouse might have become defective.
> This machine has only a serial connection for a mouse. So I used a
> connector that converts a PS2 connection to a serial connection with
> a PS2 mouse in order to use a different mouse. The cursor is still
> frozen even with a different mouse. I also get a message on boot up
> instructing me to install a PS2 mouse. This message appeared even
> before I used the PS2 mouse. How do I solve this problem.

Keep in mind that this is an XP group but what the heck? I answer XP
questions in those groups and don't see why I won't over here though, to be
honest, I don't actually HAVE an answer for you at this time. Instead I have
a question. The serial port might have bit the dust but for now what happens
if you try to get into safe mode? Once you're into safe mode, if you can,
try removing the drivers for the old mouse and installing new ones. Can it
be done without a mouse? Yes but you'll need to be pretty keyboard savy. I
don't suppose that this old computer has USB ports?

Galen