Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5N-E Overclocking confusion

Last response: in Overclocking
April 21, 2007 6:58:52 PM

I am thoroughly confused on the overclocking. I perviously owned a DFI Lanpart UT Ultra-D and OCed my AMD X2 3800 to 2.6, and the overclocking options were obvious and clear. But as for this P5N-E and a Core 2 Duo E6300, it's a whole new ball game. the options are to change the FSB (stock is 1066), and there is a linked and unlinked option. Confuses the hell out of me, as I don't see a CPU Frequency option, just the FSB. I'm not sure, but as I remember, you add some numbers involving the RAM speed and the CPU frequency and you get your FSB, but I don't remember how that goes entirely.

I am using a Core 2 Duo E6300, 2 GB GeIL DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 (Micron D9G chips), and the P5N-E SLI motherboard.

So, when I change the FSB (it says "FSB [QDR] MHz: 1066"), I am dividing the number by 4 to get the true FSB number? Could one of you overclocking gurus explain what numbers to change to get to 3 GHz and what math formula needed to figure out my CPU's frequency? Much appreciated :D 
April 21, 2007 8:49:36 PM

Indeed... 1066/4 is your system clock
April 21, 2007 8:55:36 PM

So if I want to bring my processor's speed up to 3 GHz I'd need to turn the FSB up to 1720 MHz? I suppose I would also need to bring down my RAM speed from 800, but how far down (in most cases) would the RAM need to be lowered with this kind of overclock? Down to 667?
Related resources
April 21, 2007 9:13:54 PM

well if your math is right yes.

you cpu multipler is 6
the fsb multiplier is 4
and you can switch up your ddr multiplier to keep it near 800mhz
April 21, 2007 9:21:13 PM

Just run the ram unlinked and set it to 800mhz... then increase your cpu's fsb
April 21, 2007 10:16:11 PM

Uh...yea, in case you are not confused already..., here's an easy chart I made up for you:

hope this helps,

Good look, I didn't go higher because I think you will see the pattern
April 22, 2007 1:54:24 AM

You made a chart for me?! Dude thanks! This helps tremendously.
April 23, 2007 3:36:24 AM

I had to RMA the motherboard. Wouldn't POST no matter what I did, so I haven't had the chance to use that chart yet. I have heard that there is a FSB "hole" between 400 and 450 MHz. Can the Core 2 Duo E6300 handle more 3.2 GHz? Because it looks like I either have to settle for like 2.6 GHz or 3.2 GHz. I have the RAM to handle it, I'm just not too sure that the E6300 can though.
April 23, 2007 12:22:41 PM

Sorry to hear about your RMA, but yes, your Conroe should be able to easily handle 3.2 with good cooling. Any higher and you might need more complex cooling but its up to your chip. You may be able to go up to 3.3 or 3.4

Any higher and I would suggest water cooling. Be mindful of your voltages.
April 23, 2007 1:29:15 PM

Is it possible to change your FSB multiplier cuz I would think that 450 in your case1800 fsb would be a problem for your northbridge. I mean that is almost an 80% overclcok.
April 23, 2007 1:44:28 PM

In my case or his case?..., either way the answer is no. The E6400 is multiplier 7 or 8 only, the E6300 he is using, I believe is multiplier 6 or 7 only.

Going down would only make the FSB higher. That is why you need a good quality motherboard that can handle high FSB numbers. The Extreme CPU edition has unlocked multipliers but at that price...it should.

I'm waiting for the quad Penryn's to do a swap out in the future an OC'ed Conroe is a great value and a high quality mobo is a must.
April 23, 2007 6:10:42 PM

Apparently people have been able to reach 3.2 GHz with an E6300 on this motherboard, but I'm not sure how they did it. There is a Linked and Unlinked option, I'm assuming this is so you can overclock the FSB and the RAM independently. If I link the 2, is there a way to keep the FSB lower and still reach 3.2 GHz? I am using GeIL DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, which have the Micron D9G chips, which supposedly are great for overclocking. What settings do I use to reach 3.2 GHz if I have it set as linked?
April 23, 2007 6:25:15 PM

Quote:
Apparently people have been able to reach 3.2 GHz with an E6300 on this motherboard, but I'm not sure how they did it. There is a Linked and Unlinked option, I'm assuming this is so you can overclock the FSB and the RAM independently. If I link the 2, is there a way to keep the FSB lower and still reach 3.2 GHz? I am using GeIL DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, which have the Micron D9G chips, which supposedly are great for overclocking. What settings do I use to reach 3.2 GHz if I have it set as linked?

1828FSB will get you 3199Mhz and your mem won't run 1828FSB linked, unlinked 914FSB would be the closest to sync speed
April 23, 2007 6:39:19 PM

You can hit up to 500mhz easily on this board, just make sure you turn off voltage safety option(or whatever its called) its under hardware inside of your bios, it will cause shutdowns because it thinks that you are overvolting when vcore is set above 1.36.
April 23, 2007 6:44:49 PM

Ok so I just leave it unlinked, pump the FSB to 1800 or a tad lower, and leave the RAM alone? This RAM can hit 1000 @ 5-5-5-15, but I would think that having better latency would be more important than higher RAM speed.
April 23, 2007 6:49:08 PM

Well I am a little bumbed right now. If only conroe didn't wipe the floor with amd's cpus. I like HTT WAY better than FSB. It almost makes no sense to me to not allow you to change the fsb multiplier, like you can change a HTT multiplier. like I have a amd 64 4000+ plus running at like 2.7 wich isnt extrme or anything but my hyper transport is like 1150(2300)

edit

when i got that system I was against overclocking. but my computer overheated anyway(my house temp is hot). So I got water cooling and decided to overclock. to breath new life into it, so it will at least be comparable to my new system.... sorta.

amd 4000+ @2712
asus a8r-mvp HTT @ 4x226
4x512 kingston value(this stuff sucks for OC) @207 2.5-3-3-7(shitty timgings dammit
x1800xt 512 <--HEAT MONGER ATI AI Overclocked at max

e6600 9x333
EVGA 8800 gts 320 not OC'ed yet
DDR2 4x1gb patriot donno speeds right now
GA-965P-S3 (do you guys like this for OC?)
April 23, 2007 6:51:22 PM

It was even more fun when using an AMD dual core. But that's a little off-topic. But seriously, what voltage changes do I need to make?
April 23, 2007 7:03:34 PM

in my opinion you should start pretty hight then just keep working your way down till you get the lowest stable voltage
my e6600 is 1.18v
April 24, 2007 2:14:02 AM

I'm in the same situation. I have an E4300 Allendale with this board,this is my first time overclocking and i was trying earlier today to get to 3.0ghz. I was confused on the Link/Unlink situation. Do i go with Unlink? I am looking to achieve at least a 3.0ghz. CPU-Z and my bios are different with the CPU FSB, Bios 800/CPUZ 200. If i was to go with Unlink option, would i need to adjust my FSB (QDR) to 1133? and if so what do i need to adjust my MEM (DDR) to? I would keep the same multiplier x9. If there is something i am missing or if anyone knows a better way i would greatly appreciate it. I am new to OC so a few more instructions would be nice. Here are the rest of my specs.

PSU ANTEC|TP3-650 RT
CASE LIANLI|PC-7B PLUS II BLK RT
MB ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650I SLI 775 VGA
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR 8800GTS
CPU INTEL|C2D E4300 1.8G Allendale 775 2M R
Cooler Master Hyper 6+
DVD_BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S183L LS SATA
DDR2 2GB PC6400 DUAL OCZ 2X1GB SPEED 800MHz timings CL 4-5-4-15
400gb Western Digital HD 7200rpm
April 24, 2007 12:52:46 PM

to get the highest CPu OC, you have to unlink the mem FSB from the CPU. Then you can leave the memory alone if you want and just start bumping up your FSB as I noted in prior posts.

Divide your QDR by 4 that is your base FSB. Multiply your base FSB by your CPU multiplier and thats your CPU in Mhz.
April 24, 2007 1:51:21 PM

Not that this has much to do with the topic. I would think it would be cheaper to ger 2 200gb or maybe 250gb drives and put them in raid and you would get much beater performance.
April 24, 2007 8:15:40 PM

Quote:
to get the highest CPu OC, you have to unlink the mem FSB from the CPU. Then you can leave the memory alone if you want and just start bumping up your FSB as I noted in prior posts.

Divide your QDR by 4 that is your base FSB. Multiply your base FSB by your CPU multiplier and thats your CPU in Mhz.

One more question about OC before i start to proceed. Do i need to increase my ram speed as i increase my CPU? As of right now I have 800 CPU (QDR) MHZ and 800 (DDR) MHz reading in my bios; also I was wondering if someone can check my steps.

-open my bios;go to Advanced Jumper Config. FSB& Mem Freq. section
-Select Unlink
-Select (QDR) and Increase to 1333Mhz (looking for a 3.0ghz OC)
-Leave my ram (DDR) set to 800mhz
-F10 Save and Exit

Do i need to increas my voltage? and if so, will it be just on the CPU or on Ram also, i think my voltage is reading on 1.325 on CPU- I will need to just verify that number.
[/list]
Thanks for your Help!
April 24, 2007 8:53:41 PM

Quote:

One more question about OC before i start to proceed. Do i need to increase my ram speed as i increase my CPU? As of right now I have 800 CPU (QDR) MHZ and 800 (DDR) MHz reading in my bios; also I was wondering if someone can check my steps.

-open my bios;go to Advanced Jumper Config. FSB& Mem Freq. section
-Select Unlink
-Select (QDR) and Increase to 1333Mhz (looking for a 3.0ghz OC)
-Leave my ram (DDR) set to 800mhz
-F10 Save and Exit

Do i need to increas my voltage? and if so, will it be just on the CPU or on Ram also, i think my voltage is reading on 1.325 on CPU- I will need to just verify that number.
[/list]
Thanks for your Help!

On the RAM speed the answer is no. If it is unlinked than that means it is independent of your main FSB and it will remain 800Mhz as the other goes higher. The bios may automatically bump the RAM speed on its own either slightly up or down to maintain its on sync to the main FSB you are raising. This is normal.

You can leave all voltages alone both CPU and RAM until you hit a wall then and only then start raising them by .05
April 24, 2007 9:19:06 PM

Well I cant give you much of an awnser on your steps, they seem fine, but not all that similar to my bois it seems.

I would think you could leave your cpu voltage along core 2 duo's are not "gas guzzlers", make sure you dont overvolt your ram beyond specs.
April 24, 2007 10:18:43 PM

Thanks! for the responses, i have tried a few other sites but no response on those threads. I appreciate your time in helping a noob out. I will post my progress when i get done.

Take Care. :) 
April 25, 2007 2:11:51 AM

A friend of mine told me that i should keep it at a 1:1 ratio, is this true? If so do i select auto and then select the 1;1 ratio? Or do i try to come up with the ratio myself? Should i be even worried about what he said, he is new to OC too.

thanks.
April 25, 2007 3:18:44 AM

1:1 ratio is fine if you want to oc your system clock to 400mhz or more but other wise you need it higher 1:1.3 etc to keep your ram speeds up if you only oc your system clock to 350 1:1 would be dumb
April 25, 2007 3:49:09 AM

Quote:
1:1 ratio is fine if you want to oc your system clock to 400mhz or more but other wise you need it higher 1:1.3 etc to keep your ram speeds up if you only oc your system clock to 350 1:1 would be dumb

Let me know if this looks okay or not. What i did was selected Unlinked mode, and change my CPU to 1150, I left the Mem Mhz alone at 800Mhz. I ended up getting a CPU Mhz@2588 with same multiplier x9. Now for my Memory reading in CPUZ was:
Mem Freq. 398.1
FSB Dram. 13:18
My Clocks Stayed the same.

Does this look okay, i did try to go higher on the CPU fsb but it wouldn't boot up. Do i need to up the voltage on the CPU? or CPU and Mem?

Thanks.
April 25, 2007 4:07:42 AM

Are you running on stock cooling? What are your current voltages? Anything up to 1.4v is safe as long as you have a good after market cooler, And low temps. As for ram, leave it as unlinked the 1:1 ratio doesn't work well on that board and if you want to use a true 1:1 ratio you would use sync. You suffer NO performance loss for using your ram unlinked so i always like to set my own mhz.
April 25, 2007 4:15:11 AM

I haven't yet touched my voltages, but i probably would need too if i want to get to a 3.0ghz O'clock. All my voltages are in Auto mode, if i switch out of it i would need to select a voltage that they have pre-set. It doesn't look like i could do it manually but i can take a look again. So if i wanted to go to a 3.0 clock, Do i need to just up the CPU voltage or CPU/Mem?

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 6+ Heatsink. I am running at 45degrees on CPU-Z haven't yet checked the bios for temp but that has been about 6 degrees cooler then the mobo.

thanks for the feedback.
April 25, 2007 4:24:03 PM

hmm... I don't know. I t would seem to me that you are not OC'ed enough to need a higher voltage. how I would decide that is put it back to were it was stable, then manually set the voltage and keep decreasing it 2 or so spaces down the list till it wont boot. then you would have two things, your minumum stable curret OC voltage, and know that you at that time will probly need to up the voltage and have some guess on were to set your voltage for next level of OC.

but I dont think its your voltage, Maybe your norht bridge is too hot posibly. but I wouldnt think that either. Touch the north bride heat sink after do like a prime95 test for 10 mins or so, decide how hot you think it is compared to you cpu heat sink and if it seams a lot hotter that might be the problem..

I seem to hit a similar wall with my amd 4000+ no matter the voltage or HTT(fsb basicly), or ram multipliers or voltage I cant go any higher. But if I take 2 of my 4 ddr sticks out I can go up a little but not much.

OH, see if you can disable ANY more options, if you dont understand them just try it disabled then see if it boots. I squeezed 1mhz out of doing that LOL.
April 27, 2007 11:10:16 AM

I finally had some time to try to OC my pc. Could you please look this over, i seem to have hit a wall trying to get to 3.0ghz. To make a long story short i ended up using the Sync Mode on my bios, made my ratio a 1:1 when selected. I then up the CPU Fsb +33mhz until i got to a stopping point. As of right now i can not take it up any higher then 1133fsb=2.54ghz CPU shows 2.555, x9, Bus speed 283.3, rated fsb 1133.3 . My memory is at 566mhz, and on CPU it shows Freq. 283.3Mhz, FSD Ram 1:1,CL 4.0, 4, 4, tras 31, Trc16, 2t . If i try to go to 1166 it boots up to a black screen, and i have to shut the pc down. I did try to up the voltage to 1.4 on the cpu but no luck. Should i take the Voltage Higer? How High? I have not tried to up the voltage on the ram or NB. My bios is the Phoenix rev.0202, I have never flashed a bios so am not sure if i need to do that or if it would help any.

Thanks for your help.
April 27, 2007 4:39:33 PM

Since my P5N-E has this silly "FSB hole" between 400 and 450 MHz, I was curious if I would notice a difference in video games or general use if the CPU is at 2.8 GHz instead of 3.1 GHz? Also, if anyone knows about this FSB hole, is there a fix for it? I'm afraid to use BIOS version 0505 since I've heard some nasty things about it, but is there a better BIOS version? It looks like 0401 is the next step down, but I don't know if it's any better.
April 27, 2007 4:55:58 PM

Well I dont know much about that particular board. I would say you would notice very slight difference in just about everything if not more, cuz its not just your cpu that is faster its all your stuff. instead of trying to hit 3.1 maybe try to see how fast your ram can go. I think you would get the most performace boost out of that.

If you do flash your bois write down ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS even the ones that you dont think matter.
April 27, 2007 8:00:11 PM

A little explanation on your part would be helpful. I mean go do a F.E.A.R benchmark at 3.1 then at 2.8, see what the difference is 1fps? 0? with faster ram everything will load faster and so on.
April 27, 2007 10:46:21 PM

So is it safe to say that i can increase my ram speed, currently i am stuck at 1133 fsb on my cpu and my ram is at 566Mhz. Could i take my ram back up to 800Mhz? Is there a ratio i should stay away from? Also What about my timings will those go lower/higer then my current specs and will it hurt me in the end.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions.
April 30, 2007 2:37:39 PM

Well depends alot on your ram. it is much better to have a higher clock speed then lower timings. Basicly if I Were you I would put it at 800 test it 815 test it 833 test it see how far you can make it stable, then when you reach maximum speed thats stable see if you can bring down your timings, or raise your timings. for example your timings are maybe 4-4-4-12 try 5-5-5-15 See if you can get some more clock speed, and if it increases your performance.
April 30, 2007 6:31:11 PM

The RAM I am using has Micron D9GMH chips. Are those decent for overclocking?
April 30, 2007 7:17:44 PM

To be honest I have no Idea, sorry. :( 

Try searching for it in wikipedia, wikipedia is so great, but it probly isnt there so also try and google Micron D9GMH reviews.
!