A Few Questions on an Install

Rapier587

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I just got my new 250GB SATA drive to replace my tired old 40GB ide drive. But before I get started I have a few questions. I have the upgrade version of windows XP and I need to install windows 98 before I can install XP. I was wondering if I can install 98 on my new hard drive? and if not am I SOL and need to buy a new copy of windows?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You do not have to install W98 first.

You REALLY do not want to do this. Because it sets up XP as FAT32 - and then you have to go through the process of conversion, because XP runs like crap with that file system.

Pop in your Upgrade XP cd and start the install. Somewhere early in the process it will ask you to insert your prior Windows cd. It'll look at it for about 5 seconds - then resume the install and ask you to put back the XP.

pcjim

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
pscowboy is sooooo correct. Do Not install windows 98 first. there is no need and would just cause problems. during the install you will be prompted to insert the "qualifiying" older os version. bingo all there is to it

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
has anyone tried doing an upgrade from early operating systems stepping up to each version of windows all the way through to windows vista yet?? LoL and then see how badly f**ked your comp is after that.