Silversone Zeus 750 or PCP&C Silencer 750?

Ok, I am about to batch order some new 750W PSU's. However, after several reviews, I am still unsure about which ones to order. PCP&C has been very reliable in the past times I have used them, but these Silverstones seem to be as good quality, yet I can get them for substantially cheaper cost to me. Both PSU's are considered Tier 1 by both Perkam and JohnnyGuru....

Which of these two PSU's do you prefer, and why do you prefer them?

Silverstone Zeus 750 ST75ZF

or

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I would get the PCP&C psu. Single +12v rail, modular cabling doesnt really matter to me, and I just perfer the PCP&C brand.

The Enermax Galaxy line is pretty good as well.

Edit: Damn, thanks for pointing that out timehopper.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
The statement about the Silencer having more 6 pin PCI-E connectors is incorrect, both units have 4 6pin PCI-E. Another thing you should consider when choosing a PSU is noise levels, if you are quiet freak you may want to go with the Silencer, from what i've read it is quieter than the Zeus which gets somewhat loud under load (above 350-400W). I'm in a process of picking out a PSU for my own build and i've considered the Zeus myself (the 850W model) and i decided to go with Enermax Galaxy DXX, which is pretty quiet and has 2 8 pin connectors which will allow you to run those new video cards. No matter what you choose all 3 PSUs are of the highet quality so you can't go wrong with any of them.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Interesting reading, so does this mean that any single rail PSU is better than a multirail due to multirail's inability to be used to it's fullest? And if that's the case why aren't PC Power & Cooling singlerails are the top suggested PSUs around here?

Thanx for the replies!

My distributor doesn't have the Enermax PSU's, or I probably would have looked at them too... :(

The Silverstone Strider is a little more power than I will need for the new builds of systems I am building, but thanx for the advice on it.

I guess when I was looking at specs, I didn't notice part about modular rails. Ugh. Realizing that makes the decision easier.....Thanx MPILCHFAMILY and APT403, for pointing that out.

I just ordered 72 (I got a deal on shipping!) PC&P Silencer 750's from distributor. Anyone wanna foot the bill for that? LOL!!!

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I think you rushed into the purchase of PC P & C Silencer, i've just learned that they have revised the copper model of this PSU and now it has 2 6 pin PCI-E and 2 6/8 pin PCI-E which support PCI-E 2.0 video cards, the black model is in the process of being revised as well and soon it will have the same connectors as the copper model. The revised edition can be purchased at their site, i don't think retailers have it in stock yet.

here's the link to the specs:

http://www.pcpower.com/products/assets/S75Q/specs.pdf

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I use a silverstone 650 zeus and it is a 0 problem part. It can peak at 720 watts. But I know PCP&C has a great reputation if you got the dough spend it on that.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Why do you need 72 powerful PSUs?

Unless your setting up some sort of buisiness that involves many high PCs for highly detailed CAD and CAM work. But whats the chances of that...

randomizer

Champion
So while the PSU offers a max of 60A you will only be getting about 50A from it.
At least you cant overload it easily then. Just stick in 2x 8800GTX and OC you cpu till it breaks with as much voltage as possible. Combine that with a case so full of cathodes that you need sunglasses and about 30 fans and you should be able to get that 60A or pretty close to it.

LOL!!! Wow....such interest....

Taco and oswald....I own and operate a custom build computer shop, and we build an average of 25 computers a week...

I actually only need 60 of the power supplies, but added the extra 12, to get a MUCH better deal on shipping. I can easily sell the dozen extra in systems that I build.

Taco...As for the Strider, the requirements for the systems I am building don't require PCIE 2.0, and so the company won't pay for unnecessary things like that. By the time they get around to upgrading these particular systems again, these PSU's will have most likely reached MTBF specs anyway. As it stands, it took me 6 years to convince them to use good power supplies. To give you an idea, these new workstations will be replacing a batch of 60 Pentium III-900's that I built for them in 2001. However, as I found out yesterday, much like Timehopper explained in a previous post, the PSU's I will be getting will be PCIE 2.0 compliant, as well.

Oswald...actually, the chances are very good! LOL!!! Actually, I am building CAD workstations (60 in all) for a local video editing/advertising firm that services the insurance industry. The requirements for them are steep enough that I demanded that they go with better PSU's for the next set of builds I do for them, especially with sensitivity of the data they work with. The nice thing is that they buy bulk systems, making it easier on me for servicing them...

Timehopper...luckily, I am getting the copper quad silencers. My distributor did not have enough of the black on hand (It seems that PC&P stopped production and didnt have enough to ship to my distributor...), so my distributor is shipping the copper ones. Lucky break for me, no restocking fee!! :D

randomizer

Champion
The idea then is to get close to 18A per rail and then you make full use of the psu. Not that it really matters if you cant get 60A, if you need it, then try and use it, using 60A isnt that eaasy unless you have a power hog of a system. Although you chuck in two 8800s with a high power cpu and a few HDDs and you would use pretty close to it I guess, but few people really are gonna have a system with 2 8800s anyway.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I thought that there was a max load of 20amps on a rail....

If I'm wrong.. why do I think that? I swear I read that on johnny somewhere..

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Well, as long as your distributer has the revised edition of the PSU you are ok, though i'm surprised that he does, they only released the revised ones about 10 days ago, that's why i said it would be better to buy direct from PC P&C.

slyck

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
"pci_e 2.0 rails"?? 8O 8O 8O
I build a new computer rarely(try to last at least 4 years) but just bought an OCZ GameXstream 700w for my new build. Sorry to threadjack but please tell me i won't need a different PS to run a PCIe 2.0 GPU when i probably get one in a year or two?

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Ive been using a Silverstone STF675 for over a year now and its worked flawlessly. I have a lot of experience with electronics at the component level both at work and my diy audio hobby. I can tell you the Silverstone Zues and Decathlon series use very high quality parts and the build quality is excellent. The only things I didn't like about my STF650 was that it didn't have modular cables and was a bit noisey until i added the PP02 power supply acoustic cover which brought noise down to acceptable levels. You may also want to check out the Decathlon DA750 its got a single 60a 12v rail and modular cables for almost the same prices as the Zues750. Goof luck Silverstone and PC P&W both make excellent products you really cant go wron g with eiter one.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
From what i understand you will be able to run a PCI-E 2.0 GPU with the help of an adaptor, they are supposed to come in the package with the new cards, however, to my limited knowledge, you won't be able to run SLI/Crossfire with the new GPUs since you'll need 2 6 pin to create 1 8 pin, and i think your PSU only has 2 6 pin. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong about this, but i think that is the case. Also, i don't know if there will be any performance difference between the video cards using an adaptor vs the native 8 pin connector, if anyone has any info on this please post a reply.

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I am going to be building a new system in the next few months and I'm also looking for a power supply in the 700w range. Ive had good experiences with Silverstones products so I would like to stick with them. But Im having a hard time deciding whether to go for the Quad rail Zeus750 or the single rail Decathlon750. What are the advantages/disadvantages of quad verses single rails??

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Silverstone is an excellent choice, however if you want your PSU to have 8 pin connectors i would take a look at Silverstone Strider 850W, it also has modular cables. If you would prefer a single rail and 8 pin connectors then take a look at the abovementioned Silencer Quad. As far the Zeus goes, it doesn't have the 8 pin, but by the time you'll be putting your system together they may revise it and add those connectors, but it is only an assumption on my part. To answer your question about single rail vs. multiple rails i recomend you read the PSU 101 & 102 thread, there is a section there that deals with this very subject. Good luck.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-101-ftopict198276.html

nicolasb

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Both PSU's are considered Tier 1 by both Perkam and JohnnyGuru....
No they aren't. The Zeus is tier one (according to JonnyGuru). PCP&C's "TurboCool" range is tier one. But the Silencer range is tier two.