internet won't work with sp1

The one computer I do have xp everytime I put sp2 on it gets rid of my
internet and I can't download until I get rid of sp2
5 answers Last reply
More about internet work

    "K_Wilferling" <K_Wilferling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The one computer I do have xp everytime I put sp2 on it gets rid of my
    > internet and I can't download until I get rid of sp2

    Make sure you clean your machine before installing SP2. First run an
    up-to-date anti-virus.

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack. Before
    you try to remove spyware, download a copy of LSP-Fix - a free program to
    repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
    http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    K_Wilferling wrote:
    > The one computer I do have xp everytime I put sp2 on it gets rid of my
    > internet and I can't download until I get rid of sp2

    Reading this article may make SP2 installation more successful:
    Installing Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2getinstall

    K_Wilferling wrote:
    > The one computer I do have xp everytime I put sp2 on it gets rid of my
    > internet and I can't download until I get rid of sp2

    How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to Act Smart on Usenet

    Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

    How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups

    Otherwise, you might as well try here:

    Psychic Friends Network
    (800) 592-7827

    For god's sake give it a rest. if you haven't got anything constructive to
    say which will help the original poster solve his problem the just don't
    bother.
    All you ever do is berate, belittle, contradict and generally be as
    obnoxious as you possible can. Go out and get a life!
    What difference doe it make if the OP doesn't post correctly, so long as we
    can read what he has to say then i have no problem with it.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    > K_Wilferling wrote:
    >> The one computer I do have xp everytime I put sp2 on it gets rid of my
    >> internet and I can't download until I get rid of sp2
    >
    > How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > How to Act Smart on Usenet
    >
    > Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
    >
    > How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
    >
    > Otherwise, you might as well try here:
    >
    > Psychic Friends Network
    > (800) 592-7827
    >
    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    I totally agree, I think Miss Prick finds it more entertaining to pick at
    people rather than help them.
    Regardless, with the internet issue, are you getting a "limited or no
    connectivity" message after you install sp2? Seems to be a common issue after
    the installation, ensure you have no spyware prior to install as someone else
    had mentioned. Also, see KB 892896 if that is the message you receive. Good
    luck!

    "John Barnett MVP" wrote:

    > For god's sake give it a rest. if you haven't got anything constructive to
    > say which will help the original poster solve his problem the just don't
    > bother.
    > All you ever do is berate, belittle, contradict and generally be as
    > obnoxious as you possible can. Go out and get a life!
    > What difference doe it make if the OP doesn't post correctly, so long as we
    > can read what he has to say then i have no problem with it.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
    > > K_Wilferling wrote:
    > >> The one computer I do have xp everytime I put sp2 on it gets rid of my
    > >> internet and I can't download until I get rid of sp2
    > >
    > > How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > How to Act Smart on Usenet
    > >
    > > Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
    > >
    > > How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups
    > > http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
    > >
    > > Otherwise, you might as well try here: