CPUu code error

fadge_eater2001

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Hey, ive built a new pc and everything seems fine except when i start the pc when it runs its checks etc b4 loading XP it pops up with a message saying Cpu u code error, press F1 to resume, ive had a mate look at it who is above average with pcs and he cant work out what it is, i was hoping someone could help as it kinda puts a downer on my nice new system.

Spec:
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi
Core2Duo 4300
2gb Corsair XMS
Hitachi Deskstar 320gb
BFG 8800GTS OC
Creative Audigy

Any help would be welcome, thanks for looking!

fadge_eater2001

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
how do i back up my bios because thats what my mate said but a few people with Asus's mobos who have updated have said bye bye to it, mind u that is going off things ive read on the net looking 4 problems

fadge_eater2001

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Rebels haven, ok ill look at it later, thanks. What exactly is bios flashing, is it just updating the software? You see thats my point, id rather have to press F1 every time then it not load, are there any risks involved, im guessing yes but how great are they? Thanks all for ur input so far!

We're not sure what it could be, that is true, but reseting and flashing is often a default technique. It can end up bricking the system, but only if you don't follow the instructions.

CPU error codes are usually found when the processor's speed is incorrectly detected by the board.

There are a lot of fixes to this potential problem. Reseting and flashing is one. It could also be the CMOS battery that may be bad, but this is doubtable. It could be the possibility of a weak PSU not providing enough juice to the board. But looking at his overall component list, I doubt that also. So flashing the BIOS is the best option so far, and also the most widely recommended.

Yes they are. Incidentally though, I've seen the problem persist for some people even after clearing the BIOS. That's why I'm really pushing the flashing.

BTW:
2007-04-21_215504.png

Just a bit of foolery.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
The best of both worlds;

If you are confident enough to try and manually set your bios to the specs of your hardware - ie fsb, memory voltage (this can be a problem if the bios default is below what your RAM needs although is more likely to result in no post), etc, OR....

If you're not happy doing the above; try flashing the bios as it is actually an easier process. You will be able to find copies of your current bios for download if you need to roll back, be aware that the latest version of the ASUS flash tool, which allows you to flash the bios from windows, will NOT allow you to roll back but you can find an older version in the event that you need to (you need the newest version of the flash utility to install the latest bios though).

You can also flash the bios from a floppy - this is the safest way to do it.

If all that fails its RMA time, send back the mobo first - its the most likely culprit.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
On the contrary I believe, I always flash the motherboards on any computer I build as one of the first things I do. Why would they put out a new bios if the old one was perfect? New versions are meant to be more stable and with more options.

And you'll only brick your computer if you're REALLY stupid and turn off your computer while it's flashing or something equally dumb. It's not rocket science, especially on an asus motherboard.

fadge_eater2001

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
verndewd said:
CPU error codes are usually found when the processor's speed is incorrectly detected by the board.

Thats exactly what it is u know, a 4300 should run at 1.85 or is it 7ghz x2 shouldnt it well my pc states 2.40ghz, anyway gotta go to work now but ill have look in greater depth later, thanks for the help again

fadge_eater2001

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
ye it has i downloaded version 1101 from 711. Only thing now is Asus Probe doesnt show me the temp of the mobo or cpu but i can just download something else. Thanks for all ur help !

fadge_eater2001

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
not great really is it, its a really good board as well, its just the drivers that suck haha. Kinda like creative really, i like creative hardware but the drivers are pretty my audigy drivers gave me the blue screen until i downloaded another set the other day.
check for new smbus drivers
What are they sorry?

that just means your bios doesnt recognise your cpu, update your bios and it will go away, or otherwise in the bios disable the option to halt on error with F1 or something, its in the far right menu, i forget the exacts...