Sign in with
Your question

Why did AMD choose Tunisia to laucnh their next big thing?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2007 11:06:12 PM

Seriously, ever since I heard about that, it's been bugging me :? any idea?
April 21, 2007 11:07:26 PM

another stupid amd move in a long line of stupid amd moves?

that's my guess!
April 21, 2007 11:10:29 PM

Tunisia?? something is just weird about the whole thing...I just don't get it :o 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 21, 2007 11:15:06 PM

they wanted to get suntans
April 21, 2007 11:47:07 PM

Quote:

They are not launching anything in Tunisia --- they are wining and dining the HW press and showing a demo of R600 along with Barcelona.... makes sense.

It would have been embarassing to need to use an X6800 to release the potential of an R600 GPU. ;) 

The Radeon launch has been pushed out to end of May, and Barcelona will likely paper launch in June with production shipment in Julyish/Augustish timeframe.

Yeah, 100% agreed, but why Tunisia and not for example San Jose, California or London, UK? It's not like they even saved money by going to a cheap place because I heard they rented an entire luxury hotel. Is the location a good tourist resort, maybe?
April 21, 2007 11:52:02 PM

pure genius - none of those press types will even suspect the x6800 is in the demo systems! pure amd genius!
April 21, 2007 11:55:42 PM

Under Tunisian law breaking an NDA is punishable by death.

I googled it; honestly.
April 22, 2007 12:05:52 AM

Quote:

I googled it; honestly.

Give this man a beer.
April 22, 2007 12:12:38 AM

Quote:

I googled it; honestly.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

:trophy:
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2007 12:34:03 AM

What, you guys didn't know that Tunisia is the most technically advanced country in the world? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Hey, as long as someone leaks the results, I will be happy.
April 22, 2007 12:35:17 AM

Quote:
What, you guys didn't know that Tunisia is the most technically advanced country in the world? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Hey, as long as someone leaks the results, I will be happy.

And get Lethal Injection??... Count me in :D  !!(* Rolls up sleeve for Injection)
April 22, 2007 12:38:49 AM

and why not???
April 22, 2007 1:35:16 AM

Quote:

I googled it; honestly.

Ahaha gold.
April 22, 2007 2:27:16 AM

actually, tunisia is one of them countries where the rich are really rich and the poor are really poor, then there is a thin line of people in the middle, but by comparison the poor are still really well off, think of it as a bit like saudi arabia, it is in the middle of a dust bowl, but its very rich. Plus, if you think about it, tunisia is not that bad, i'm actually thinking if they might be opening a fab there or something...
April 22, 2007 2:40:46 AM

Quote:

Well, the Life of Brian was filmed in Tunisia...
April 22, 2007 2:47:54 AM

Masybe they are gonna announce something besides the barcelona aqnd r600, maybe it has something to do with the olpc project, another announcement perhaps.
April 22, 2007 2:48:47 AM

Honestly, I don't see what it could be.
April 22, 2007 2:49:13 AM

Quote:
Masybe they are gonna announce something besides the barcelona aqnd r600, maybe it has something to do with the olpc project, another announcement perhaps.
Hello crap that first word in my last post made me sound like jar jar binks
April 22, 2007 10:51:18 AM

Quote:

They are not launching anything in Tunisia --- they are wining and dining the HW press and showing a demo of R600 along with Barcelona.... makes sense.

It would have been embarassing to need to use an X6800 to release the potential of an R600 GPU. ;) 

The Radeon launch has been pushed out to end of May, and Barcelona will likely paper launch in June with production shipment in Julyish/Augustish timeframe.

Yeah, 100% agreed, but why Tunisia and not for example San Jose, California or London, UK? It's not like they even saved money by going to a cheap place because I heard they rented an entire luxury hotel. Is the location a good tourist resort, maybe?

Who knows, AMD reserved an enitre wing of the Sheraton for the occasion, room and board for all the Journalists -- perhaps Hector knows someone who knows someone and saved them some money...It's because the Sheraton-Tunisia is the only hotel that will rent entire wings, for Air-Miles reward points. :D  :D 
April 22, 2007 11:21:17 AM

Because they are booking the whole entire luxury hotel for like $70 and to get away from fan boys like Baron. :D  And maybe a special appearance of Osama as the host and speaker.
April 22, 2007 11:30:43 AM

So was Star Wars EP 4
April 22, 2007 12:31:04 PM

FFS, c'mon people, seriously, reasons, its closer to one of their Fabs so getting the chips there will be less security, it is slightly cheaper, it is quiet, I'd second the person that said it may have something to do with the one laptop per child thing, maybe it has something to do with the "new compound" that they were going to stick in their line of chips after barc, maybe it has something to do with a new fab (?), these are probably the most realistic answers that i could think of.
April 22, 2007 12:50:20 PM

Quote:
FFS, c'mon people, seriously, reasons, its closer to one of their Fabs so getting the chips there will be less security, it is slightly cheaper, it is quiet, I'd second the person that said it may have something to do with the one laptop per child thing, maybe it has something to do with the "new compound" that they were going to stick in their line of chips after barc, maybe it has something to do with a new fab (?), these are probably the most realistic answers that i could think of.
You're dreaming. Cheaper to get there? Now i've heard it all. I would expect excuses like that from BM. If that's the case, they would have demo'd 4x4 there(twice as many cpu's, therefore twice as expensive to get there). :roll:
April 22, 2007 1:23:21 PM

I think its because they want to make sure they don't want any information to leak otherwise they are going to slaves them on ebay.

April 22, 2007 1:23:28 PM

For what it is worth, looking at expedia... for a flight and a 1 night stay in a motel in Tunesia was $4046. Similar flight and motel in Dresden was $3876.
April 22, 2007 1:42:52 PM

Tunisia is dirt cheap from the UK however, just like Morocco.
April 22, 2007 1:56:08 PM

perhaps the reason for having the demo in Tunisia, is less to do with the technology, and more do do with good PR, would anybody be discussing this if it was in the USA or Europe? probably not..
April 22, 2007 9:05:08 PM

1. When the Demos crash and burn they can blame all the sand that got into the PCs.
2. At least the locals will be impressed because they still run Pentium 2s and TNTs.
3. AMD’s management want to go out in style before they are sacked/beheaded/publicly humiliated.
4. Tunisia doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the US and the management are planning on absconding with what’s left in the bank before all their share options turn to dust.
5. Because the new products are so bad ass they wanna kick back and have a big party to celebrate.
6. The cousin of the main guy in marketing at AMD works for the Tunisian tourism council and they offered them a good deal.
7. The executives’ bonuses are zero so they really could do with the air miles.
April 23, 2007 2:33:21 AM

Quote:
1. When the Demos crash and burn they can blame all the sand that got into the PCs.
2. At least the locals will be impressed because they still run Pentium 2s and TNTs.
3. AMD’s management want to go out in style before they are sacked/beheaded/publicly humiliated.
4. Tunisia doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the US and the management are planning on absconding with what’s left in the bank before all their share options turn to dust.
5. Because the new products are so bad ass they wanna kick back and have a big party to celebrate.
6. The cousin of the main guy in marketing at AMD works for the Tunisian tourism council and they offered them a good deal.

:lol:  makes sense, especially Tunisia's weather forecast shows definitely dark days ahead
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/TSXX0010.html
April 23, 2007 3:08:21 AM

Quote:

Maybe it is to isolate the journalist so they can frame them with hookers and blackmail them into perpetuating AMD's lies about K10 performance. 8O

I wonder what option #2 for a location was, Dr. Evils Volcano :?:
April 23, 2007 4:00:05 AM

Quote:
I think its because they want to make sure they don't want any information to leak otherwise they are going to slaves them on ebay.

They could also be reminded, "What's buried under the sand, stays under the sand".
April 23, 2007 4:47:18 AM

Well just the very fact that this thread was created should be enough to answer your question.

Having the launch in Tunisia gets people talking. First people will talk about the location, then they'll want to know more about the products that were launched there.

After all, it must be a big deal to have the launch in such an unconventional place.
April 23, 2007 9:49:21 AM

waaaaw !! Thx guys !!

why all that !!! Any body have some day been here ?? you think that we still noobs ?? and dummies ???

i didn't understand !! we are not running in Pentium 2 and TNTs as you said go there and you will understand!! : www.scoopinformatique.com .. We host the World Summit on the Information Society in 2005 and all big companies were there !! its not strange that AMD choosed Tunisia .. AND STAR WARS, was filmed in the sahara and it has no relation with that !!!

Any way iam really disapointed to hear all that .. Me i am going today to see the demos in live .. Thx, all ur really KIND :) 
April 23, 2007 9:59:33 AM

and could you explain why it can be a reason that AMD has choosen Tunisa ??
April 23, 2007 10:00:46 AM

Quote:
and could you explain why it can be a reason that AMD has choosen Tunisa ??

Because AMD has extensive experience in shoveling camel crap. :lol: 
April 23, 2007 10:03:35 AM

OK !!
April 23, 2007 10:31:08 AM

:? yeah !!
April 23, 2007 10:49:48 AM

Ok, geek talk;

The city of Tunasia is known to be the Green city on the Mediterranean Sea...
A spot of Green surrounded by sand.

Now needless to say but AMD is also known to be Green...

I think you got the point now

Later dudes :-)
April 23, 2007 11:19:20 AM

nice analyse ;) 
April 23, 2007 11:40:32 AM

Hey, don't blame me. This is the Tunisian Inventions Linkage:

A wheelchair with pedals...
Glow-in-the-dark sunglasses...
A submarine with a screen door...
A helicopter with an ejection seat...
A wooden fireplace...
A fireproof match...
A sliding glass door with a peephole...
And a solar-powered flashlight.

I think you may wanna add fake CPU and GPU benchys to that list! :lol: 
April 23, 2007 12:08:21 PM

AMD has the right to choose whomever they want to launch their next big thing.Who does everyone think they are critisizing AMD for their choice of vendors?C'mon people,will you all just give AMD a break for a change.Try being supportive of them and stop being so damn negative.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
April 23, 2007 12:49:01 PM

Our being "supportive" of AMD does absolutely nothing (that's right, it's the equivalent of bullshit) to affect them in any way. This isn't a sports team where a "home team advantage" will help them to win. Our negativity does nothing to affect the way AMD does its business or how their products will stack up against the competition's. The only support AMD can get from positivity is in investor feeling and until they produce, I'm within my rights as a shareholder to be pretty fucking negative.
April 23, 2007 1:24:12 PM

Quote:

I would buy that, a bike with a better seat and it doubles as a chair, what's not to like? Where do I sign up?
April 23, 2007 2:04:16 PM

Quote:
Try being supportive of them and stop being so damn negative.

I completely agree with Ninja. AMD does not operate in Neverneverland where they can make up the rules of the game. With a collapsing share price; admissions that they're out of cash and thanks to a loanshark deal with Morgan Stanley can't raise any more; and nothing but a dusty whoosh coming from the Tunisian desert today, AMD should just rearrange its initials and call itself MAD.

I've been an AMD fan for many years. All I'm asking is for something solid, tangible and real to be a fan about now!

Quote:

I would buy that, a bike with a better seat and it doubles as a chair, what's not to like? Where do I sign up?

Claim your priority position in the queue. Send your $1,000 deposit via credit card today to CRA@scam.com. :twisted:
April 23, 2007 2:13:38 PM

Quote:
I'm within my rights as a shareholder to be pretty fucking negative.

Not a good thing to be right now after the $611M bomb last week and Intel chopping the prices on C2D. It looks like the red ink is going to get bigger in spite of the optimistic opinions of Q2 at the conference call.
!