new pc new opp sys

normski001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
8) iv'e just orderd the parts for my new pc and i will use partition magic to put 3 opp sytems on it
why 3 ?
one will be for win xp until im up and running with Linux
the other 2 i thuoght i would try 2 of the 3 linux systems ive read about in the main post
A GUIDE ON CHOOSING LINUX
susie and fedrora or ubunto
i have just a few questions for the great brains in this forum
1 what is the best format to use on each partition ntfs or ?
2 in bios do i have to enable non os2 opp sys
3 what is a good firewall
4 what is a good antivirus
5 do i need a reg edit program or do you not get crap like on xp
6 drivers for new pc
intel E6600 nvidia 8800gtx asus p5b delux mboard ( on board lan sound and usb drivers)
i also plan to plaay games and have looked at cedege to make games run on linux

if you guys could find the time to answer my questions i would be greatfull

Just a few questions there...

Linux does not really support NTFS. It can be made to read and write NTFS volumes but its at a level that I'd not really want to bet valuable data on. Windows can be made to support EXT2/3 type file system with read write support and this works quite well. Linux will also work fine with FAT32 volumes.

My suggestion would be to use a common partition formated in FAT32 to allow you to transfer data between them.

It does not really matter. But the correct setting would be non OS/2.

IP Tables comes as part of Linux distributions. Try having a look at FireStarter which provides a nice graphical front end.

ClamAV works well and there are others.

No reg edit type program. All the settings are in text files (a bit like the old versions of Windows) so all you need is a text editor. You should get a graphical one like Gedit or Kate when you install or you can use a command line one like Nano.

6 drivers for new pc
intel E6600 nvidia 8800gtx asus p5b delux mboard ( on board lan sound and usb drivers)

The 8800 is a very new so I'm not sure how things stand with Linux driver support just yet. You will need to install the latest drivers direct from Nvida or the distro provider.

The bad news is that the MB does seem to have issues with Ubuntu as do a few of the 965 based boards. Given that Intel has a reputation for working with the open source community I hope this will be solved soon. Have a look at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core_2_Duo_Support
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=504353

I would expect that the 7.04 release will support the board. I'm not to sure about how things stand with Suse or Fedora, possibly a bit better.

normski001 said:
It all depends in how you want to set up your multi-boot system. Do the OSes need to look at what's in the My Documents or /home folders of other OSes? If they need to look, do they need write access too? Here are some of the common FSes in Windows and Linux and some info on them.

Windows FAT32: Old-style, un-journaled FS. Prone to corruption and fragmentation over time. The Windows installer will only make up to 30 GB FAT32 partitions (but the FS can be put on larger partitions by other tools and Windows installed afterwards.) It is fully readable and writable from within Linux. I don't believe that Vista will install on FAT32 IIRC, and Linux won't install on it either.

Windows NTFS: Most modern FS that Windows can install to. It is journaled and relatively stable, although still prone to some fragmentation. Partition sizes are up to 128TB with the current spec of NTFS. NTFS is basically read-only from within Linux, although there is extremely minimal NTFS write support emerging for Linux.

Linux ext2: Oldest Linux FS still being used. Not journaled but reasonably stable and has low fragmentation. Windows has full, native ext2 read-write support by a third-party filesystem driver.

Linux ext3: Ext2 with a journal. Widely used and rather reliable. Windows also has full native rw support of ext3 via the same third-party driver used for ext2.

Linux ReiserFS 3: Modern journaled filesystem written by developer Hans Reiser with some interesting features such as tail packing (such as packing two 2K files into a single 4K cluster rather than putting each file in a cluster as most FSes do.) Very high performance on dealing with lots of small files (10K and less) and it has negligible fragmentation. Read-only in Windows via third-party tools such as reiserfstools.

Linux Reiser4: New version of ReiserFS 3 with a lot of new features, but it's rather new and generally not well-supported in most Linux distributions. That may very well be due to issues surrounding its inventor- google Hans Reiser if you want that info. Reiser4 is not accessible at all from within Windows.

Linux XFS: Originally developed by SGI for use in IRIX machines, this journaled filesystem is known for excellent throughput with very large files (hundreds of megabytes+.) XFS has almost no fragmentation due to intelligent packing techniques. XFS is not accessible from within Windows.

Linux JFS: Invented by IBM, this journaled filesystem has some Linux support. I've never used it, so I can't make any comments on how it works. JFS is not accessible from Windows.

If you want to be able to read and write data freely between OSes, I'd recommend making the following partition setup:

1. Windows on NTFS.
2. Linux on ReiserFS 3 or XFS
3. A large partition on ext3 that all documents reside in. Make this /home in Linux and remap C:\Documents and Settings to this partition.

I assume you're talking about large disk access mode as set in the BIOS. I haven't seen any difference if it's set to DOS or "other" as I think this dealt with older OSes like Windows 9x that had disk-size addressing issues. Windows NT variants and Linux don't have these issues, and any Linux you'll find also has LBA48 enabled, which gets around the HDD > 120 GB issue, as does XP with Service Pack 2.

I'd recommend a decent NAT hardware router for a firewall as a good one of these is better than most software firewalls. If you have a hardware firewall, don't bother with a software one. If you plug straight into the Internet, Zone Alarm for Windows isn't bad and you'd use iptables in Linux to do firewalling. Iptables is far, far more powerful than Windows firewalls but is also harder to set up.

In Windows, I use Symantec Corporate 10 that I got from school through their distribution program. It's similar to Symantec Anti-Virus 10 but doesn't require a yearly subscription :D

Linux is not very vulnerable to viruses for a number of reasons. The best way to defend a Linux box is to disable unneeded services and have a firewall set up somewhere (same goes for Windows, too) because Linux boxes are attacked more by breaking in than by viruses. If you do want to run an anti-virus under Linux, HBEDV's AntiVir or ClamAV are decent. They mostly look for Windows viruses, though.

There is no registry in Linux. Configuration settings are stored in plain-text files. On my machine, most are in /etc/conf.d. Other distributions may vary where they put a specific file, but they will generally not be hard to find.

6 drivers for new pc
Intel E6600: Supported in Linux and Enhanced Intel SpeedStep is enabled by cpufreqd. You should not have to mess with anything to get it to work perfectly out of the box.

Nvidia 8800gtx: Go to the NVIDIA website and download their Linux display drivers. The 8800 series were supported on launch day by NVIDIA with Linux drivers.

Asus P5B Deluxe mothterboard
1. LAN is Marvell PCI/PCIe gigabit. Recent kernels should support it out of the box, otherwise support is in the kernel if you are willing to compile.

2. USB: USB ports are standard devices and the USB HCI drivers will make them work properly.

3. Sound: Probably will work, but I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the ADI AD1988B chip. The Intel Azalia HD chip on the board *does* work though.

4. SATA will work fine, but setting up a RAID array in BIOS probably won't be visible as an array in Linux.

5. The PATA port is driven by a JMicron JMB363 chip, which should be supported in Linux, but at least in Gentoo, the driver is not in the stock compiled kernel. You'd probably have to recompile your kernel to get that to work.

I don't game, so I'm not much help. You're probably better off gaming in Windows as it would be faster.

normski001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Thank you for the info

ive been checking out sites all weekend and i agree i may not need to much in way of virus protection
also i checked partition magic and it can partition to linux ext2 or linux ext3 so i will go for ext3 unles install disk lets me go ReiserFS 3 or XFS
i will be running a raid drive so looks like im in for fun
i managed to get some ebooks today, suse from beginner to expert
federa linux all in 1 for dummies
so i got lots of reading to do as parts wont be here till end of week
i have a zoom x5 router with firewall so this may help
partition magic hides all drives as it boots in dos you then choose what drive you want to run and the others stay hidden to swap you need to reboot not as simple as vm but it does what i want
my worry is when it comes to programing my capability is switching from bbc1 to itv :oops: many years ago i did basic on the commadore 64 and manage dreamweaver and some basic coding for my website
I also have install DVD's for Alinux, Suse 10.2, Ubutu 6, Fedroda core
i intend to start with suse 10.2 as i have the most information on this

the help you have given me gives me a starting point if i get stuck i will be back for sure once again 8) Thanks 8)

also found this http://gentoo-wiki.com/ASUS_P5B_Deluxe
and asus site has linux drivers for sound and lan so wish me luck