Should I get Vista when it comes out or should I wait?

pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to vista when it comes out or wait at least a few months until more drivers and software are compatible with it.

What I mainly use my computer for is schoolwork, multimedia, games, internet.

Solution
my general rule of thumb...for a system that you depend on....wait till at least the first service pack is available.

if on the other hand you have spare system, give it try. I've been running the full(ultimate) version for the past 2 months.[via MSDN/technet) There are many nice GUI things.
Worth it? not really. XP ran much faster on this system and I had more functionality. I've turned off all the security annoyances.[like everytime you open an application, it asks if you want to run it] It has a lot better PnP, found my router and configured it automatically. The windows explorer annoys me, and crashes every so often. Divx it has alot of problems with, you constantly get 'com surrogate' errors when playing divx movies. The start...

needcaffeine

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
my general rule of thumb...for a system that you depend on....wait till at least the first service pack is available.

if on the other hand you have spare system, give it try. I've been running the full(ultimate) version for the past 2 months.[via MSDN/technet) There are many nice GUI things.
Worth it? not really. XP ran much faster on this system and I had more functionality. I've turned off all the security annoyances.[like everytime you open an application, it asks if you want to run it] It has a lot better PnP, found my router and configured it automatically. The windows explorer annoys me, and crashes every so often. Divx it has alot of problems with, you constantly get 'com surrogate' errors when playing divx movies. The start menu, is annonying especially if you have several apps installed, instead of opening a new submenu, it scrolls within itself, the alt+tab in 3d is cool, but not enough for me to recommend the total OS for it.

Thought it does seem like some things are going quicker, like general response time w/in windows and boot up. Though the moving of files b/t drives or folders, takes even longer then ever...now it has to calculate everything out before it even starts...so moving say 5gb takes 3x as long as it used to.(w/ xp it's always calculating during the move, well estimating anyhow). Being a person who learned on DOS, I'm avid fan of it, so it's often a lot quicker to delete or move w/in DOS then w/in the windows explorer.

Solution