Sign in with
Your question

Having MAJOR Hardrive(bootup) problems*video + photo footage

Last response: in Windows XP
January 14, 2007 10:20:22 PM

Hey everyone

I cant seem to get to windows with my hardrive. If you watch the clip below this is what happens.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JBzX2whZLos

I put the hd back into my old machine and it worked fine.. so i reformatted with my old machine and put it back into my new computer and the exact same thing happens.

If i try to reformat on my new machine - when it loads all the files off the cd and then trys to copy files to the hd i get this:

my spec is:

250gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 - IDE
ati radeon x1300 xt
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
2gb Crucial 5400 Dual Channel
Gigabyte DS3

please someone help - its my first pc i have put entirely together by myself..

I APPRECIATE EVERY LITTLE BIT OF SUPPORT
January 15, 2007 1:27:59 AM

First of all you can't take a hard drive with windows already on it and just hook it up into a new system without some work. At least that's what it sounded like you were doing in the beginning.

Then it sounds like you were trying to format the drive in your new system and are getting the error in the picture? There should be utilities that came with your HDD to verify that it's ok. Run that first and if it comes out ok then write zeros to it. That should also be included on the disk.

If you don't have the disk, then go Seagate's website.
January 15, 2007 5:20:54 AM

dmroeder's advice is a good place to start to check the physical health of your drive. Since it works okay on the old comp, it's probably good, but it wouldn't hurt to do Seagate's diagnostic.

But to use it inside of a new rig, you must clean install XP there.

Some points to check:
1. Jumper is vertical on the far left pins, 7 & 8.
2. You are connected to the Primary IDE connection on the mobo.
3. If there is a colored end on the ribbon - this goes into the mobo.
4. The hd is on the other end, not the middle.
5. That "overclocking" mobo has had compatability problems with Micron memory which is what Crucial happens to be. If you can RMA the ram, do it, and get a different manufacturer's sticks.
6. Up in the BIOS, the boot priority is cd drive, floppy, hd.

If you are trying to install XP with an OEM cd which came with your old unit - this could be (not always) problematic. At a point in the install, older oem discs check hardware.

Before any fresh install, you should kill any existing partitions. I like to do it with a W98 (or ME) boot floppy. After inserting & restarting - at the "A" prompt type fdisk and delete the partitions. Remove floppy & pop in the XP and restart. Install should go like candy.

Tell us about your XP flavor, the power supply, and what you've decided to do with the memory.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 15, 2007 11:01:45 AM

cheers guys

i got 580w Hiper PSU

my friend just gave me a custom xp cd.

I dont think ram is an issue as its reading it fine in the bios.

i'll try that stuff out now
January 15, 2007 11:02:50 AM

Quote:
First of all you can't take a hard drive with windows already on it and just hook it up into a new system without some work. At least that's what it sounded like you were doing in the beginning.

Then it sounds like you were trying to format the drive in your new system and are getting the error in the picture? There should be utilities that came with your HDD to verify that it's ok. Run that first and if it comes out ok then write zeros to it. That should also be included on the disk.

If you don't have the disk, then go Seagate's website.

could you give me a name of this disk?

i dont really know what im lookin for on seagates site.. didn't get any cd with the hd
January 15, 2007 2:03:28 PM

I totally agree with pscowboy that a bad disk is probably not the problem since it works with in the other system, but it's the easiest thing to check (which is probably why he agreed with me).

Here is the utilities needed to check your drive and and perform a low level format (write zeros).

Please post your results.
January 15, 2007 4:21:27 PM

i cant click low level format...
January 15, 2007 6:40:09 PM

Did you try reading the low level format FAQ? It would have told you that you need to download DiscWizard which is click-able in that link that I posted.
January 15, 2007 7:36:17 PM

You still have to address the points made in my previous post.

The only you're going to be helped is to give us the stuff we ask for!
January 15, 2007 10:21:21 PM

I have over 90gb of music over my 3 partitions.

Just tell me i gotta wipe it all clean and i will.
January 15, 2007 11:50:15 PM

Just pinch the turd off and wipe it for crying out loud.
January 16, 2007 4:22:22 AM

Ram is an issue. That brand you have is incompatible with that motherboard.

Memory showing up in the BIOS only means that there are modules in the slots. The Bios just counts what's there.

The power supply you have is of poor quality - considered tier4, not recommended.

Check this list out, and purchase something at least tier3:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Fix these two hardware issues and do a Repair install of the existing XP - and maybe you can save the 90g of music.
January 16, 2007 8:37:09 AM

Quote:
Ram is an issue. That brand you have is incompatible with that motherboard.

Memory showing up in the BIOS only means that there are modules in the slots. The Bios just counts what's there.

The power supply you have is of poor quality - considered tier4, not recommended.

Check this list out, and purchase something at least tier3:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Fix these two hardware issues and do a Repair install of the existing XP - and maybe you can save the 90g of music.

it does a memory test and it shows a 2 and a lot of numbers which im guessing is 2gb of ram..

what ram do you reccomend then ????

I want 2gb Dual Channel
January 21, 2007 4:13:01 PM

that RAM is compatible with my motherboard.

I just did a Low level Format Full

took around 19 hours.... tried to install windows but it gave me the blue screen after is says - setting up windows in the bottom left (where it loads all the other drivers and stuff)

did scans.... everything seemed good...

is there not settings in the bios i need to change or something :S:S:S

EDIT - I think its the RAM
January 21, 2007 8:15:33 PM

Quote:
cheers guys

i got 580w Hiper PSU

my friend just gave me a custom xp cd.

I dont think ram is an issue as its reading it fine in the bios.

i'll try that stuff out now

That may be your cause.

I have an old mobo with ide hdd that bsod's every time a fresh windows install boots up the 1st time. It tries to continue the install. Another time I tried a custom xp which bsod'ed on my sata hdd. There were 2 causes on 2 separate incidents: the 1st was a faulty mobo (the ide controller was f***ed); the 2nd was the custom xp that contained a wrong set of sata drivers.

If you think your parts are perfect, burn this iso to a cd & reboot to this cd & let it run for 5-10 passes.

http://www.memtest.org/

If there's an error, it may mean wrong memory settings in bios or bad memory.
January 22, 2007 3:21:45 PM

i left that test for about 2 hours 40 - i think around 5 or 6 passes and it didn't seem to find anything wrong? when it does will it say or put a 1 or whatever in the error column?

just tried it with a piece of 512mb OCZ 6400 and it didn't work..

i just ordered this

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/orders/index.html?rb=246...

comes wednesday ... if it doesn't work i might replace the ram the
!