Page File Usage slowly and inexplicably increases over time.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hey guys.

I'm having a bit of trouble. For some reason, over some time while I have my computer on, my Page file usage/commit charge seems to steadily increase, with no explanation, or application to blame. For instance, right now, it's at around 1.37 GB, and the most memory using application currently is Firefox, which is only at 54 MB.

So far, the only way I've been able to solve this is by restarting my computer, but that's a real pain in the rear.

I've tried to pick out some patterns in this, but it's just got me stumped.

Do you all think this is some sort of virus, or do you think it's a crummy Windows installation?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've also tried to use CleanRam to fix the problem, but the program just isn't working right for me.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
specs please

Alright. I was hesitant, cause I didn't wanna look like I was showing off or anything.

Anyways!

Core 2 Duo E6600
2GB DDR2-800 RAM
Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo
XFX 7950GX2
Some 300GB SATA 3.0GB/s Hard-drive.

And I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Anything else? :)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
disable your page file, you don't need it and your PC is not running as fast as it could. disable it and use it for a week and then enable page file again, at that time you will notice the difference between the two and you will never enable page file again. ;) you PC can easily handle it, I have c2d laptop with with 2GB of ram also and page file is disabled, my desktop p4 3.8 4GB of ram and page file disabled, got another older PC p4 2.0 1GB of ram and page file disabled.

once you run your PC for a while without page file and then try and go back to page file you will think your PC has turned into a turtle comparing to page file disabled ;)

set your PC free and write straight to ram, set yourself free ;)

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you've got FF open for 3-4 hours doing stuff, that's your culprit. Just come in & out of Firefox every hour or so. That's good practice with IE too.

With 2g of ram, you can force more of it to be accessed by using Ed's suggestion.

Right-click My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Performance Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory Change. Choose No Pagefile.

XP will set one up anyway, but it will only be 50-60mb, and it'll be dynamic.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Huh! I had never thought of that.

I will give it a try. Thank you all for your help.

EDIT: Wow! My Computer just tore through startup! Crazy! I never knew PF usage could be so hindering.

Anyways, I'll keep an eye on this and see if it help any. Thanks again. :)

If you've got FF open for 3-4 hours doing stuff, that's your culprit. Just come in & out of Firefox every hour or so. That's good practice with IE too.

I sorta noticed that Firefox was acting buggy, but for a browser to eat up my computers memory.. It just didn't make sense. :p

Thank you!

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
36_1_12.gif
36_1_27.gif

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hmm. Well, the problem is still occurring, albeit a lot slower now.

Do you guys think that the new firefox has a memory leak or something?

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Well, my CPU usage isn't really being bugged at all, just the commit charge.

It's really puzzling.

But, I dunno.. I really like firefox. Is opera any good?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
If you ask me yes, it can do everything ff can if not better, but becarfull if you use it for a week you may not go back from it ;) :lol:

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Well, it isn't just firefox. This is really annoying. =\

Does anyone have any other recommendations, or do I have to reinstall windows? Maybe a repair installation?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Go to Start - Run - and type msconfig.

Disable all your Startup programs except your anti-virus. Reboot.

Monitor the pagefile commit for 2-3 hour stretches.

As long as it remains low, bring back one program at a time every 3 hours - rebooting after each enable.

Hopefully this may find the culprit.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Go to Start - Run - and type msconfig.

Disable all your Startup programs except your anti-virus. Reboot.

Monitor the pagefile commit for 2-3 hour stretches.

As long as it remains low, bring back one program at a time every 3 hours - rebooting after each enable.

Hopefully this may find the culprit.

Haha, alright.

Good thing I don't have any classes today.

rsouter

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I observed a similar problem on my older laptop recently (Dec 2012), it being a
Dell XPS M1710
Intel Core Duo
T2700 @ 2.33GHz
2.00 GB Ram
Windows XP Pro SP3
The problem began after buying a replacement internal wireless card,
Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini Card, once the card was installed and "working",
programs that used to run perfectly began hitting virtual memory warnings and crashes.
The Windows Task Manager Performance tab showed an inexplicable slow accumulation of PF Usage,
slowly rising over time (a couple of hours) until all Virtual Memory was consumed.
(Also suggest, looking at Processes tab, and add extra columns to view - Page Faults, Peak Memory Usage, Virtual Memory Usage and look for maximums to identify culprits)
After some interminable Googling that led me here, and yonder, I found my problem
(http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19303621.aspx)
A Massive Memory Leak on some driver that was installed, the suggested fix of
renaming C:\windows\system32\BCMWLTRY.exe to BCMWLTRY_BAD_Wireless_EatsMemory.exe
disabled some tray application to control the wireless card, now I just let windows do that using their
Wireless Zero Configuration service (enabled using the console Start->Run->services.msc)
Memory Leak Gone, Situation Normal

Moral of story: could be a bad driver loaded at boot up that eats your memory and some simple but not entirely satisfactory solution will have the machine running like a top again.
Don't Let the Perfect Become the Enemy of the Good - referring to the fact that the solution worked so ...