I'm having a bit of trouble. For some reason, over some time while I have my computer on, my Page file usage/commit charge seems to steadily increase, with no explanation, or application to blame. For instance, right now, it's at around 1.37 GB, and the most memory using application currently is Firefox, which is only at 54 MB.
So far, the only way I've been able to solve this is by restarting my computer, but that's a real pain in the rear.
I've tried to pick out some patterns in this, but it's just got me stumped.
Do you all think this is some sort of virus, or do you think it's a crummy Windows installation?
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I've also tried to use CleanRam to fix the problem, but the program just isn't working right for me.
disable your page file, you don't need it and your PC is not running as fast as it could. disable it and use it for a week and then enable page file again, at that time you will notice the difference between the two and you will never enable page file again. you PC can easily handle it, I have c2d laptop with with 2GB of ram also and page file is disabled, my desktop p4 3.8 4GB of ram and page file disabled, got another older PC p4 2.0 1GB of ram and page file disabled.
once you run your PC for a while without page file and then try and go back to page file you will think your PC has turned into a turtle comparing to page file disabled
set your PC free and write straight to ram, set yourself free
I observed a similar problem on my older laptop recently (Dec 2012), it being a
Dell XPS M1710
Intel Core Duo
T2700 @ 2.33GHz
2.00 GB Ram
Windows XP Pro SP3
The problem began after buying a replacement internal wireless card,
Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini Card, once the card was installed and "working",
programs that used to run perfectly began hitting virtual memory warnings and crashes.
The Windows Task Manager Performance tab showed an inexplicable slow accumulation of PF Usage,
slowly rising over time (a couple of hours) until all Virtual Memory was consumed.
(Also suggest, looking at Processes tab, and add extra columns to view - Page Faults, Peak Memory Usage, Virtual Memory Usage and look for maximums to identify culprits)
After some interminable Googling that led me here, and yonder, I found my problem
A Massive Memory Leak on some driver that was installed, the suggested fix of
renaming C:\windows\system32\BCMWLTRY.exe to BCMWLTRY_BAD_Wireless_EatsMemory.exe
disabled some tray application to control the wireless card, now I just let windows do that using their
Wireless Zero Configuration service (enabled using the console Start->Run->services.msc)
Memory Leak Gone, Situation Normal
Moral of story: could be a bad driver loaded at boot up that eats your memory and some simple but not entirely satisfactory solution will have the machine running like a top again.
Don't Let the Perfect Become the Enemy of the Good - referring to the fact that the solution worked so ...