legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I was told by someone else here to put in my xp disk and do a repair but not to press r but to wait for the next instance where I'm allowed to.

The only thing is there isn't any more options to repair my windows installation

I can press r

enter

or quit.

So i press enter and then press f8 when the license agreement comes up but after that there is no other option for repairing. How do I do it?

Please help!

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Cheers for the link.

Thing is that doesn't happen to me, it doesn't recognise that there is a version of windows installed on it.

I press f8 and i get taken to the bit where it's asking you whether you want to create or delete partitions?

What the hell is wrong with it?

Nothing is ever as simple as it should be for me...

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I guess i should reformat using ntfs (not quick) so it'll do a system scan and stop windows from installing on fucked bits of the drive right? I can't see what else I should do.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
One more thing to try before you give up.

The install is not seeing the windows partition. So, on the first screen that offers a repair - DO PRESS R. You will find your way to a prompt (if it asks for a password, just hit Enter).

Type in fixmbr (hit Enter)
Then type in fixboot (hit Enter)

Ctrl-Alt-Delete and try the Repair install again. If it still doesn't see the Windows, you will have to clean-install XP.