Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Fellow Forumites,

A friend of mine is running Windows XP Home, and using IE7 to surf. When I went over to help him with a Wi-Fi connectivity problem, I found that when typing a URL into the IE7 Address Bar, when I hit enter, I would see a Windows Box pop up telling me that it couldn’t find the URL.

When I type a URL into my IE7, the “http://www.” is automatically added. I never have to use the “CNTRL/ENTER” trick that actually does work on his PC for each URL that’s typed.

I have no idea, at this point, how I managed to get that feature to remain constant on my IE7. I know it also did it in my IE6, so it’s been years since whatever option was selected had been turned on, and probably just migrated to the recently upgraded IE7.

I looked through his Internet Advanced Options and couldn’t find a single one that seemed to do the trick.

Does anyone know what has to be set on for him to be able to save so much typing, (he had been backspacing and typing in his URLs with the old “http://www.” That was in the bar originally,) to even avoid having to “CNTRL/ENTER” each time he chooses to type in a URL?

I’m guessing not a few of you are more familiar with the operations than I am.

Thanks In Advance,
“Gyro1949”

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
first let me say with firefox and opera around I can't believe there is still people working with the crappy ie.
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif

having said that, if you enter "kltforums" in the address bar then you go to search but if you enter "kltforums.com" then it should automatically put the http://www. in there.

here is more reference for you

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/attachment/715071.ashx

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Edklite,

Well, in another thread, I’ve already expressed my views about switching from IE to those other browsers. Whatever floats your boat. They’re not my preference.

I seem to always enter the “.com” portion when typing a URL. It’s automatic, anymore. And I’m guessing that if a URL is already in his browser’s cache, it’d automatically complete it, too. But one doesn’t always visit places we’ve been before.

Using the “CNTRL/ENTER” deal is something explained even by MS.

But I don’t have to do that with this PC. I’m wondering what it is that I’ve done to make it so automatic.

“Gyro1949”

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
IE not being as good as firefox or opera is not a matter of preference its a matter of a lesser browser.

you keep having all this problem with the crap and you still prefer it.

in ff and opera you can set all of these real easy how you prefer it.

what makes no sense to me is why you prefer the one that has less preferences to accommodate your preferences. ;)

If its not obvious to you, then let me bring it to light for you, it seems you prefer the one that is least configurable to your liking and has the most headaches and also the most security issues ;)

no if having a less customizable, less reliable, with most security issues is the one that floads your boat then go ahead and knock yourself out, but don't tell others they are the same and its a matter of preference, cause its not, ie is a lesser browser compared to others, on security isusses alone.

I hope you understand that all of the above comes from a caring place, I have nothing to gain by what browser to use, however I can't not say anything when I see that you can be doing so much more and easier with another browser I just have to say something, I have all 3, I have used all 3 and IE can't not even compare to ff and opera when it comes to ease of use and customising.

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Edklite,

I’m sorry. I thought you had read what I posted.

I’m not having a problem with IE. A friend of mine is. I just can’t recall what was done to make mine work the way he’d like his to work.

In another thread, I explained the problems I had after wasting half a day downloading all the stupid files for Opera. (I was a dial-up user way back then.) It was worthless when I went through the installation.

Since I get what I want out of IE, I’m not in any rush to change my browser.

I don’t do things that require something that IE doesn’t accomplish.

If you need something else, fine. If IE isn’t your cup of tea, then switching is the intelligent thing to do…For you.

If you feel you need to spread the joy, or simply want to enlarge the non-MS-browser club, then please go look for someone who is at his wits’ end with IE.

It happens to not be something I want to do. And no amount of silly bad-mouthing of whatever you think I get from IE is going to change a thing.

This all comes from my “caring place.” And, if you can’t see it…I just DON’T CARE to switch.

“Gyro1949”

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
if its your work and you can't change it thats one thing. but again, I'm sorry if you think the fact that ie is less secure then other browsers is silly then apparently you are just in denial.

good luck

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Edklite,

I’m sorry that you feel that insecure that IE isn’t your cup of tea.

I have no security problems.

If I felt a need for security, I might go with some mongrel browser, too.

In the meantime, I’ll just use what I got, and what’s working for me.

And you might want to know that no one is automatically superior to an IE user, no matter how often they throw themselves and their personal insecurity concerns into the limelight whenever the term “browser” seems to be broached in an Internet post.

I’m sure that a lot of Apple users would agree that PC users are “insecure,” too.

So what? No one who’s not insecure, or able to be made to feel insecure cares.

“Gyro1949”

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
lol, the only problem is that you are going on how you feel and I'm going on facts, do I need to list all the security issues that have been patched this past month alone?
cheesy2.gif

how you feel has nothing to do with facts ;)

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Edklite,

You might ask me if I’ve had a single security breach.

I’m not denying that the browser used by most folks is the likely target for attention-seeking weenies who want to try to write code to mess with others’ PCs.

I’m just saying that I’m not an insecure person, worried about something that hasn’t happened to me. And I don’t really care if it’s happened to others. A whole lot of people go places they shouldn’t be and download and open files they shouldn’t have.

I don’t.

So why are you trying to make it appear as though security was ever even mentioned as a problem in my post’s obvious question? You're the one who imagined something about security being at issue. Not me. So what you've been saying has nothing to do with this thread.

With all your knowledge about how bad IE is, do you even have a thing to say that would resolve my request? You know…About a friend’s Address Bar automatically adding “http.” and stuff….

Do you mongrel browser people get paid to recruit insecure folks?

:)
”Gyro1949”

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I’m just saying that I’m not an insecure person, worried about something that hasn’t happened to me.

man you are right on top of everything, you idea of "it has not happen to me so it won't" or just plain "it can't happen to me" is surely going to keep your security holes covered. why even bother using the patch in that case?

And I don’t really care if it’s happened to others. A whole lot of people go places they shouldn't’t be and download and open files they shouldn't’t have.

a security hole in ie has nothing to do with where people go, it has to to do with ie being vulnerable to attacks.

Do you mongrel browser people get paid to recruit insecure folks?

no they don't this is what happens to people who feel they are safe instead of being safe ;) but then again that is not possible since it can't happen to you ;)

gee what is this? must be edklite's imagination

oh look 50% unpatched holes but yours is safe ;)

some articles on ie from the past and present

New York Times

USA Today

eWEEK

plenty more where that came from

BTW none of this is for you, this is for the other people reading this thread, the ones that understand the meaning of prevention ;) and people who care about others ;)

Gyro1949

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Whatever.

I'm still hoping that a person who is atuned to how to fix what the thread's about will tune in and respond.

All this obssessive and mindless advertising for products that have nothing to do with the question is getting old.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
first let me say with firefox and opera around I can't believe there is still people working with the crappy ie.
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif

having said that, if you enter "kltforums" in the address bar then you go to search but if you enter "kltforums.com" then it should automatically put the http://www. in there.

here is more reference for you

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/attachment/715071.ashx

I already answered you which is why nobody else has, in your darling ie you can't do what you want ;) outside of what I just explained.

unless you wanna install a third party toolbar
whistling23gj.gif

and oh ya since when is showing with facts that one app is less secure then the other advertising? its nobody's fault but ms that their app is not secure.