sethm1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Have an Acer Netbook, N270 Atom
1.66 Mhz
160 HHD
1 GB RAM – soon to be 2
XP SP3

Ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor, all but a Widcomm Bluetooth software (which I M/S says there
Is an update driver) all green check marks.

Will I lose battery life (currently getting about 7 hrs)?
Any other negatives with moving to Win & Home Premium?

7 won't be quite as quick as XP, but the difference should be minimal. You might not even notice one. You should also wind up with slightly better battery life, as Windows 7's power management is quite a bit better than that of XP.

Actually you don't, at least not with the specs the OP provided. I have an Asus Eee PC 1000HE which I upgraded to 2GB of ram (Intel Atom N280 CPU) and 7 runs great with a bunch of apps installed. By no means is it a gaming system, but that's not what netbooks are for...

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I have two netbooks with nearly identical hardware. Gateway and Samsung N130.
One has Windows XP and the other Windows 7 Starter.
Honestly, I would stick with XP over 7 (Starter). Seems faster and you can customize it more.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

I couldn't say. I have VISTA 64 on desktop, lots of XP machines. I haven't used WIN 7 HP but I doubt it would run well on a netbook. I think you'd have to have the ion chipset in there and dual core Atom or it would run poorly if at all.

RAVC1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I also have an ASUS 1000H as djcoolmasterx describes above. I am concerned regarding the performance of the 32-bit Win7 on the netbook Atom N270 system so, I chose to purchase a Seagate 1TB SSHD ST1000LM014. It remains difficult to determine if I should implement this upgrade because I remain uncertain about how Win7 will perform. Has anyone else attempted to improve the technology race by upgrading to an SSD or SSHD when migrating the OS to Win7?

In fact, I asked at school today about 'Win7 Ultimate' and it simply contains all the language packages.

Lastly, I forgot to ask about the overclocking utility, 'eeectl', originally written for the 700-series EeePC Netbooks. I have read of a few reports (...was it www.overclock.net?) of people successfully implementing this after editing it for the 1000H, but there are far too few "legitimate" reports of using this apparently marvelous utility for the 1000H.

I will certainly listen to any responses I receive.