Sign in with
Your question

How can i make my games hang's and Lagg's go away!!!!!wahhhh

Last response: in Memory
April 22, 2007 11:39:03 AM

How can i make my games hang's and Lagg's go away!!!!!wahhhh!!!!
April 22, 2007 12:45:02 PM

How 'bout telling your system specification so people get a chance to know what they are asked to give advice on?
April 22, 2007 1:06:00 PM

P4 3.4 HT, 2X SPEK TEK DDR2 4200 533 AND 2X EXTREAM MEMORY 4200 533 X2 NX 7600 GT X2 250GB HARD DISK please help me iam a newbie?can i overclock my system?how will my hangs and laggs go away?
Related resources
April 22, 2007 1:26:06 PM

My favorite game TITAN QUEST IMMORTAL THRONE kindly please advise im begging you!
April 22, 2007 1:28:05 PM

memory is set to 4-4-4-12 Sli is set to Sli8x and Alternate frame rendering thats it!
April 22, 2007 1:33:32 PM

all you should need to do is turn down your video settings.

if that doesn't work, upgrade :) 
April 22, 2007 2:03:38 PM

My bios is on default mode i didn't overclock it yet..i dont think turning down the grphics is not the answer cause i have quit a good rig???other alternatives?
April 22, 2007 2:07:28 PM

i think you should tell us what resolution you play your games at
April 22, 2007 2:10:18 PM

Well it looks like you are well with in the system requirements for the game. If you are playing online, firewall software could be an issue. Also I would go into start --->run ----> type msconfig ---> and see what is running at startup. I have been playing doom 3 and the only time I had problems was when my antivirus started scanning. I have played the game online in multiplayer and so far have not had any problems, except for the fact that I get killed before I can even get a higher end wepon.
April 22, 2007 2:34:30 PM

my resolution is 1024x768 actualy it lags a little not that much only when im entering shadowd rooms and runing with too much enemy on my tail but on my specs it should run smoothly.correct me if im not?
April 22, 2007 4:11:08 PM

Check the game's options for shadows and HDR. Lower your shadow level and if HDR is enabled turn it off.
April 22, 2007 5:41:27 PM

turn off background programs ie aim winamp or watever
scan for spyware/adware
tweak your windows xp (just look up tweakhound theres a nice guide there)
tidy up ur bios
tidy up diskspace
change resolution and quality on ur games

i hope this helps
April 22, 2007 11:24:10 PM

i was playing that game on 16x12 with no real lag issues, i have a x1600pro and a 3800 x2
April 23, 2007 5:59:36 AM

Damn! the resolution is too high?i have only a 17" monitor could it work on that resolution?please also teach me how to set my bios to make my pc faster.

p4 3.4 overclocked
p4n sli board
2gb memory
250gb hard
x2 nx7600gt overclocked
2 optical drive
atris 500T extream power supply
thermaltake cooling system
tigermax casing
April 23, 2007 8:09:34 AM

yeah that game dosn't need any AA or AF, just turn that to zero and that might help. Also check you have the latest drivers, and make sure your not forcing AA or AF. If you are set the setting to let the application decide.

(WTF when did i get member/100 posts....)
April 24, 2007 6:08:48 AM

what's AA and AF?
April 24, 2007 7:41:14 AM

Settings that make games look good, or lag, or both....

If you right click on your desktop and get to your nvidia control panel you can change their settings to : off/application controlled/forced values.
Try setting yours to aplication controlled/off depending what you have already.
Also check inside titan quest, make sure vsync is off, anti-anilising is off. You should be able to play with max everything else though.
April 24, 2007 8:37:41 AM

Thanks dude il try it later when i go home for work.i already ordered 2 new MSI 8800GTS 320MB OC edition,is this a good card?in performance and Quality..??i have X2 NX7600GT on a 2GB memory and HT P4 3.4 CPU i think its enough to make titan quest run smoothly without a glitch, correct me if im wrong.please advise?....
April 24, 2007 8:45:23 AM

Yeah, the 8800gts is an extremely fast card compared to your 7600gt, although 2 of 'em if overkill, one is more then enough for Titan Quest.

Your psu doesnt have enough power though, you'll need a new one.
April 24, 2007 9:08:53 AM

As strange as it sounds, try taking one of your grahics cards out.

SLi is well known to be CPU bottlenecked and even with the very fastest processors on some games only shows small increases over a single card.

Having such an old (slow) processor with sli could be bottlenecking your CPU when it comes to difficult areas that place the cards under strain. If all the cpu cycles are used up by the cards then not only will it lag the graphics but it could lag the physics as well as it could be leaving no cycles free to run the game. I'd try experimenting with a single card only and see if that helps the lag. It might be that you might have to run lower settings or put up with a little graphical lag in order to stop the freezes / pauses from your system running out of CPU power.
April 24, 2007 9:28:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks dude il try it later when i go home for work.i already ordered 2 new MSI 8800GTS 320MB OC edition,is this a good card?in performance and Quality..??i have X2 NX7600GT on a 2GB memory and HT P4 3.4 CPU i think its enough to make titan quest run smoothly without a glitch, correct me if im wrong.please advise?....

Forget about Dual MSI 8800GTS 320MB OC Edition.
Get an OC'ed 8800GTX instead.
as apt403 said you`ll need a new power supply if you are to upgrade your Graphics Cards.
April 24, 2007 11:32:45 AM

Please advise me of the correct set up for my system.kindly please help!!
i already spent a lot i dont have a deep pocket to spend too much, but i love computer and gaming so much thats why i put my passion building it not just for geting my time of it's my life!!!!wahhhhh!!!
April 24, 2007 11:57:21 AM

So P4 HT 3.4 is a slow CPU for Sli??it's surppresing my video card capabilities?? your saying that 1 card is better than 2
(on some other games??)i didn't upgrade to sli just too be like that?
April 24, 2007 12:04:06 PM

your power supply is the BIG problem for upgrading your video card.
off course you may need to upgrade your CPU too but first of all you need a better PSU.
April 24, 2007 12:31:07 PM

I agree with Farhang, first a more powerful psu, then a new cpu.

Which retailers/online stores can you buy from? I have a couple power supplies in mind that would work for your system, but they might not be avalible where you are.

The P4 you have is going to bottleneck your gfx card's performance, especially with an 8800gts. From what I can tell your current mobo doesnt support the Core 2 Duo line-up, and those are the only Intel desktop cpu's that are worth getting ATM. So a new mobo will be required when you upgrade your cpu.
April 24, 2007 12:54:02 PM

Quote:
So P4 HT 3.4 is a slow CPU for Sli??it's surppresing my video card capabilities?? your saying that 1 card is better than 2
(on some other games??)i didn't upgrade to sli just too be like that?

An E6800 Extreme Edition can bottleneck sli. There isn't a processor on the market that I know of that has been shown to not restrict an sli set up, at least on DX9. In theory sli should deliver twice the performance of a single card, in most setups / games, because of a shortage of CPU power increases tend to vary between about 6% and 50%, with some exceptions.

I found this old test on Behardware that explains a bit about cpu limitating 1/2 way down the page and how to test if its an issue:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/574-7/nvidia-geforce...

But basically, sli takes a lot of cpu power and 1 more powerful card could be better than 2 with your processor. although with such a slow processor its quite possible that you may still face some cpu limitation on modern games as some are very cpu intensive and a 3.4 isn't going to cut it at high graphic settings with a powerful GPU especially at P iv spec.

I'd seriously try taking 1 card out and see what happens, you have nothing to lose as graphics cards are easy to remove / replace. If the pauses stop then it probably is your cpu being maxed out. In which case either upgrade your system to something much more cutting edge or consider a more powerful single card. The single card might still be throttled back by your cpu, but I'd expect it to run a lot better than sli.

PS I agree on the PSU upgrade although I haven't seen what you have got. You really need to be over 450w-500w and preferably higher to be comfortable with an sli set up. Also most modern graphics cards require an ATX 2.0 standard supply and if your supply is old, it won't be able to supply enough current on demand irrespective of its wattage rating.
April 24, 2007 1:02:39 PM

I have an ATRIX 500T Extream Power supply with dual rail on 12v and its showing very good on my system.i dont know what to do?im fucked up!please help......other alternatives???
April 24, 2007 1:04:59 PM

My advice is before spending any money try removing 1 card and just see if the pauses stop. If they do just run it with one card and accept the limitations with a mind to buying a better setup when you can.

On the psu side, your graphics card manufacturers website will show recommended suppy sizes and specs for your card in an sli set up - check!
April 24, 2007 1:10:06 PM

Thanks il try it when i go home after work??hope it solves it....?the fastest processor i can put in my system is a pentium d 3.4 940 i think?is it enough???im sure my system is very good but i think it's potential is surpressed??thats what i want to know??
April 24, 2007 1:26:28 PM

Good advise from all. Here's what I'd do. Pull one video card and do a fresh WinXP SP2 install. Don't do all of Micro$ofts updates yet. Install .NET 2.0, Windows installer 3.1 and DX 9 from the Titan Quest disc. Insure you've got the latest chipset, Video and sound drivers. No OC'ing yet. Leave at stock or "spec" for now. This will give you a baseline for further troubling shooting. Try it. Is game play better? Worse? Then make one change at a time, add the second video card, Up the clk's.
I'm playing TQIT at 1280x1024, 2xAA, some shadows off on an XP 3000 K7, 2gig RAM, ATI 1950 Pro w512RAM AGP. Play is most satifactroy, smooth, no "stalling" or "hang ups".
April 24, 2007 2:13:09 PM

Realy????!!im using a crt monitor 17" LG flatron does the resolution 1280x1024 work???my system is much better than your but you play it well??Thanks il try it also later..
April 24, 2007 2:17:39 PM

TBH I doubt a 3.4 is going to cut it at the kind of graphical levels you seem to want. If you really need an 8XXX card or 2 x 7900 in sli to achieve the eye candy you want, then you really need the rest of your system to be at a much higher level as well.

If you have to change mobo, memory and cpu, then I'd be aiming at a project in the long run with a C2D setup, with maybe an E6600 as thats the current sweet spot for performance / price.

Its unfortunate but if you want high graphical levels then you can't just isolate the gpu from the rest of your system as everything has an effect. Whereas most current games should play on a p iv 3.4 at a lowish level, I think your high graphical aspirations make such a processor a unrealistic proposition for smooth gameplay.

Its possible Dark above has less problems simply because he isn't under the strain of being sli'ed.
April 24, 2007 2:49:12 PM

So i need to upgrade??no other alternative??damn!i told my mama to buy PS3 much cheaper than buying 2 x 8800 GTS im gonna tell it to mama!
April 24, 2007 4:44:11 PM

Yeah..........................................................................

Well anyway... if you do buy two 8800s of any kind, I believe you need two full 16x PCI-E lanes - so you would need to upgrade your motherboard - if you buy two.

Just do what this guy says and do the one card thing before you go blowing your money. Have a little patience.

Quote:
turn off background programs ie aim winamp or watever
scan for spyware/adware
tweak your windows xp (just look up tweakhound theres a nice guide there)
tidy up ur bios
tidy up diskspace
change resolution and quality on ur games

i hope this helps
April 24, 2007 11:59:55 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to be listening. If you want people to help you out, stop being a baby and whining about it, and listen to what they say.

A little maturity would be helpful.
Start saving your coin, $1500.00 today nets one a nice 8) system.
I running on a 19" LCD, once you get yours up with a clean install start at a lo-res, 800x600, experiment with the eye candy and work your way up until your system chokes.
If you want to play the latest and greatest at the higher levels, you gotta do the upgrade.
(One of the things that I like about computer games :lol:  )
April 25, 2007 1:10:32 AM

I'd also relax a bit. I can feel the tension reading your posts. Before you waste any more money, actually listen to what some people are saying here. Sequently upgrade starting with the PSU. Then drop in a new card. Proc should be next.
Wow, this sounds like someone trolling or high.
April 25, 2007 1:32:12 AM

Quote:
I can't help you until I know what the cause of all your problems are

If he knew he would not ask. :lol:  :tongue:
April 25, 2007 1:58:08 AM

Not out to get ya man, just messin around. Please do not think less of me :cry: 
April 25, 2007 6:07:07 AM

Dude Dude im not dumb?! im not saying that your suggestions are crap, but still i need to ask somebody or someone els to survey whats the best alternative to my problem, not just doing what they or you or someone els say. but stil thank you for your kind assistance.
April 25, 2007 7:47:27 AM

Quote:
Dude Dude im not dumb?! im not saying that your suggestions are crap, but still i need to ask somebody or someone els to survey whats the best alternative to my problem, not just doing what they or you or someone els say. but stil thank you for your kind assistance.

Damn...
I don't know what to say...Just...Get out of here you idiot! :evil: 
April 25, 2007 9:35:23 AM

Quote:

I don't know what to say...Just...Get out of here you idiot! :evil: 

He said they arent crap.

Well, how many options do you need ROBO_DUDE? We're all pretty much saying the same thing, you need a new psu for the 2x 8800gts you said you ordered, then a new cpu because your P4 is going to bottleneck the gfx cards, and along with the new cpu a new mobo because the one you have ATM doesnt support the Core 2 Duo family, the only line of cpu by Intel worth getting right now.
April 25, 2007 9:52:08 AM

Quote:
He said they aren't crap.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn...
my eyes suck big time! :(  :oops: 
I need to see a doctor!
Sorry Friends, My bad! :tongue:
April 25, 2007 10:09:30 AM

Thanks dude's i already bought a thermaltake 600 wats true power is this enough? and im trying to buy the MSI K8N SLiPlatinum board from msi because thats the cheapest here besides my problem is there not that much parts here?and if there are any its very much expensive. so please suggestion for my new Mobo thats cheap but very good both in quality and performance and a cheap memory but with a fast and good quality...i have already the power and the 8800gts oc i need a good board and memory. I realy appriciate all your help!my

P4 HT 3.4
P4N SLI MOBO
X2 NX7600 GT
X4 512 DDR 2 533 MEMORY
X1 250GB HARD DISK
X2 DVD DRIVE
ATRIX 500T EXTREAM POWER SUPPLY
THERMALTAKE COOLING KITS
TIGERMAX CASING
April 25, 2007 10:37:30 AM

If you're gaming you want 2GB of memory to match your motherboard requirements ie DDR, DDR2 depending on what your motherboard and processor require. If it accepts both DDR and DDR2 go for DDR2.

You also need to bear in mind the memory speed you will need, you want to be matching this to you processor FSB as a minimum and above to leave headroom for future increases. With DDR2 I'd be aiming at pc6400 (800 mhz) as on DDR2 this gives an FSB capability of 1600MHZ which gives you a little headroom as current processor aren't quite at this level. Anything slower than your processors fsb and you'll be bottlenecking your system again.

Also, check with the manufacturer about fitments for your board as many boards have restrictions on the number of memory sticks they can accept from a particular manufacturer (its all to do with the nuber of chips on each stick). eg. some board will have 4 slot and on the face of it say they can accept 4 sticks but you may well find that with many manufacturer's products they only accept 2 stick or require reduced timings with 4. So, 2 x 1GB is porbably the way to go but again check compatability BEFORE you buy.

You can get away with 1Gb of memory but in many games you will get pauses as the swap file will kick in to exchange data with the scratch disc.

Best advise is get 2GB. Good brands include Corsair, Geil, Kingston, OCZ.

Some do budget ranges eg. Corsair Value that are cheaper but probably adequate unless you want ultra tight timings / intend to overclock.
April 25, 2007 10:49:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks dude's i already bought a thermaltake 600 wats true power is this enough? and im trying to buy the MSI K8N SLiPlatinum board from msi because thats the cheapest here besides my problem is there not that much parts here?and if there are any its very much expensive. so please suggestion for my new Mobo thats cheap but very good both in quality and performance and a cheap memory but with a fast and good quality...i have already the power and the 8800gts oc i need a good board and memory. I realy appriciate all your help!my

P4 HT 3.4
P4N SLI MOBO
X2 NX7600 GT
X4 512 DDR 2 533 MEMORY
X1 250GB HARD DISK
X2 DVD DRIVE
ATRIX 500T EXTREAM POWER SUPPLY
THERMALTAKE COOLING KITS
TIGERMAX CASING

you are getting k8n motherboard??!!!?
don't be stupid getting 939socket board, for the same price or lower you could get AM2socket board with ddr2 support and Sli support
April 25, 2007 11:09:23 AM

First of all, which country are you in and which stores can you buy from? Prices on computer parts vary between countries, so a mobo that's cheap one place could be insanly expensive in another.

I'm with Malaga93, DO NOT get the K8N, 939 is a dead socket.
April 25, 2007 12:10:21 PM

Im working here in Saudi Arabia im not a citezen here, there not much tech.please advise me of mobo that i can afford as for now the mobo i saw is Asus, DFI , MSI as for now?Asus =is very expensive Msi = average DFI = expensive too any other alternatives? i think il go for Kingston kinda cheap? 1gb or 512 wat the best?
April 25, 2007 12:48:56 PM

You should try some of the solutions recommended by people here before you spend all your money!

E.g. try to clean up what you have by a clean windows install or complete cleanup.
April 25, 2007 12:57:44 PM

P6N SLI PLATINUM is this a good mobo?from msi it's kinda cheap but still high price?
April 25, 2007 1:13:32 PM

Can you teach me how to overclock my memory,i have cheap memory but still i wanna know?please my memory is Spek tek DDr2 533, do i always need to over clock the voltage also and the cpu whenever i over clock my memory?
!