Strange temps dropdown!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Temperature
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2007 11:43:03 AM

WTF is it??? I mean, it's great, but I want to understand what's going on! It was on the 10th minute of Orthos test and seems to be permanent. Famous Arctic Silver 5 "break-in"???
Quote:
On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

More about : strange temps dropdown

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2007 6:57:58 PM

Quote:
WTF is it??? I mean, it's great, but I want to understand what's going on! It was on the 10th minute of Orthos test and seems to be permanent. Famous Arctic Silver 5 "break-in"???

dr_kuli, perhaps your motherboard is possessed!!! :lol:  Seriously, TIM breakin occurs gradually, so it would be helpful to verify this shift in thermal values by re-testing for Idle / Load temperatures with Core Temp or Everest and SpeedFan, to rule out the possibility of random software corruption. I generally don't prefer to speculate, however, the cause is more likely hardware related.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
April 22, 2007 10:14:25 PM

Well, it was possessed, for a while at least :lol:  Some weird binary creature did it and now is gone :cry:  Since then I can't reproduce such behavior, tested it few times. Now everything is dully normal, flat diagram, no shifts, it's a pity...
Related resources
April 24, 2007 11:25:44 AM

OK, I've reproduced the behavior, accidentally. But I was prepared :lol:  Going from FSB 450>460 I've found it unstable, Orthos had an error on one core in 16th minute. So I've bumped Vcore 1.4>1.425. After restart I gave it about 30 mins idle to stabilize and run Orthos again. In some 20 mins few things happened simultaneously - Vcore under load bumped itself 1.328>1.344 (according to CPU-Z) and temps drop DOWN on both cores 8/10C, and Orthos script on core 0 stopped or slowed down a lot (but there were no change in load, according to RMCpuClock). It stayed like this for some next 20 mins and then BSOD! After restart it's like in previous scenario - everything normal. Orthos is running since 1 hour, temps&voltages as expected, and I'm typing this post :lol: 

Something must be wrong with voltage regulators. What do you think?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2007 3:15:54 PM

Since it seems that you've quite thoroughly examined other possibilites, is your motherboard still eligible for RMA replacement?

Comp 8)
April 24, 2007 3:34:34 PM

It is, although I put some heatsinks on mosfets... but I think it's too early, mobo is working less than 1 month, maybe it's not "burned-in" enough...
!