Removing directory containing unused "System Volume Inform..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

One of my hdd's had been partitioned into 3, using partition magic. I
merged one small, empty partition into one of the remaining 2. PM
placed the files on this small, now defunct partition (Recycler & System
Volume Information) into a folder in the partition to which the smaller
partition was merged. When I try to delete this folder, I get the
infuriating "access denied" (ever have your car tell you "access denied"
when you attempt to make a left turn or open the glove box? ;-). How
can I get rid of this file? I tried resetting its attributes to remove
"read only", but it keeps resetting them immediately. Also tried
deleting it from a safe mode command prompt (ever miss dos???), no dice.
It takes up no space, but just as a matter of principle I want to get
rid of it ;-)

TIA

Dan
5 answers Last reply
More about removing directory unused system volume inform
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Dan,

    Recycler is the Recycle Bin from the deleted partition.
    System Volume Information is where System Restore stored it's files
    for that partition.

    You will have to take ownership of the folders to delete them.
    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/


    Dan" <"prograde49 NO SPAMMIN wrote:
    > One of my hdd's had been partitioned into 3, using
    > partition magic. I merged one small, empty partition
    > into one of the remaining 2. PM placed the files on this
    > small, now defunct partition (Recycler & System Volume
    > Information) into a folder in the partition to which the
    > smaller partition was merged. When I try to delete this
    > folder, I get the infuriating "access denied" (ever have
    > your car tell you "access denied" when you attempt to
    > make a left turn or open the glove box? ;-). How can I
    > get rid of this file? I tried resetting its attributes
    > to remove "read only", but it keeps resetting them
    > immediately. Also tried deleting it from a safe mode
    > command prompt (ever miss dos???), no dice. It takes up
    > no space, but just as a matter of principle I want to get
    > rid of it ;-)
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Bert-Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew what the files were, I was just
    surprised that since they weren't the files for the current OS (actually
    on another hdd altogether) that I could not access them. The process
    you pointed out did the trick, but what a rigamaroll!!! I noticed when I
    checked the "ownership" (What a concept! Silly me, I thought I had
    "ownership" when I BOUGHT the damned machine! ;-) that it had it set as
    "administrator", rather than the "name" I picked when installing the OS
    (which I did just recently). I could have sworn I set my "name" as
    having "administrator" privileges! How can I once and for all get ALL
    access to ALL aspects of the PC under my default log in? I am the only
    one using this box, frankly I've always found all this "name/login
    id/administrator" stuff to be a real pita on a single user PC.

    Thanks again!

    Dan

    Bert Kinney wrote:
    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Recycler is the Recycle Bin from the deleted partition.
    > System Volume Information is where System Restore stored it's files
    > for that partition.
    >
    > You will have to take ownership of the folders to delete them.
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Dan" <"prograde49 NO SPAMMIN "@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uiISSkPSFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    > Bert-Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew what the files were, I was just
    > surprised that since they weren't the files for the current OS (actually
    > on another hdd altogether) that I could not access them. The process
    > you pointed out did the trick, but what a rigamaroll!!! I noticed when I
    > checked the "ownership" (What a concept! Silly me, I thought I had
    > "ownership" when I BOUGHT the damned machine! ;-) that it had it set as
    > "administrator", rather than the "name" I picked when installing the OS
    > (which I did just recently). I could have sworn I set my "name" as
    > having "administrator" privileges! How can I once and for all get ALL
    > access to ALL aspects of the PC under my default log in? I am the only
    > one using this box, frankly I've always found all this "name/login
    > id/administrator" stuff to be a real pita on a single user PC.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Dan

    If the OS is WinXP, certain folders and files 'belong' to the operating
    system, not to you. Not even to the Administrator.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    You're welcome Dan and thanks for the feed back.

    Frank Saunders has answered you question concerning ownership.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/


    Dan" <"prograde49 NO SPAMMIN wrote:
    > Bert-Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew what the files
    > were, I was just surprised that since they weren't the
    > files for the current OS (actually on another hdd
    > altogether) that I could not access them. The process
    > you pointed out did the trick, but what a rigamaroll!!! I
    > noticed when I checked the "ownership" (What a concept!
    > Silly me, I thought I had "ownership" when I BOUGHT the
    > damned machine! ;-) that it had it set as
    > "administrator", rather than the "name" I picked when
    > installing the OS (which I did just recently). I could
    > have sworn I set my "name" as having "administrator"
    > privileges! How can I once and for all get ALL access to
    > ALL aspects of the PC under my default log in? I am the
    > only one using this box, frankly I've always found all
    > this "name/login id/administrator" stuff to be a real
    > pita on a single user PC.
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > Bert Kinney wrote:
    >> Hi Dan,
    >>
    >> Recycler is the Recycle Bin from the deleted partition.
    >> System Volume Information is where System Restore stored
    >> it's files for that partition.
    >>
    >> You will have to take ownership of the folders to delete
    >> them. How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks Frank, I guess what confused me was that on this particular file,
    the owner was said to be administrator. Under safe mode as Bert
    explained I signed in as my log in (not administrator, since I thought I
    had all those privileges, the log in name is listed as having such in
    control panel/user accounts) yet still I had to add my log in to the
    owner list, although it had administrator listed there already. If my
    log in is named as administrator in cp/user accounts, does this mean I
    have as much access as I am going to without taking "unusual" measures,
    like the safe mode dodge? Is there a particularly good site for info on
    all these access/privileges issues?

    Dan

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    > "Dan" <"prograde49 NO SPAMMIN "@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:uiISSkPSFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    >
    >> Bert-Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew what the files were, I was just
    >> surprised that since they weren't the files for the current OS (actually
    >> on another hdd altogether) that I could not access them. The process
    >> you pointed out did the trick, but what a rigamaroll!!! I noticed when I
    >> checked the "ownership" (What a concept! Silly me, I thought I had
    >> "ownership" when I BOUGHT the damned machine! ;-) that it had it set as
    >> "administrator", rather than the "name" I picked when installing the OS
    >> (which I did just recently). I could have sworn I set my "name" as
    >> having "administrator" privileges! How can I once and for all get ALL
    >> access to ALL aspects of the PC under my default log in? I am the only
    >> one using this box, frankly I've always found all this "name/login
    >> id/administrator" stuff to be a real pita on a single user PC.
    >>
    >> Thanks again!
    >>
    >> Dan
    >
    >
    > If the OS is WinXP, certain folders and files 'belong' to the operating
    > system, not to you. Not even to the Administrator.
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Partition Windows XP