Replacing Mobo, Processor, but not HD. Can it be painless?

thelastsaint

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
The final two components for my revamped PC should be arriving within the next few hours. I've read Tom's hardware's Guide to to the actual construction process and it seems straight forward enough. I know, however, that replacing these crucial components changes quite a bit about my machine and it is making me enter a realm of computers that I'm very unfamiliar with. I wanted to see if I could save hours or days of troubleshooting and frustration after putting it together by seeing if there is anything I need to know or do before I take my machine apart. I have vague notions about registry entries and BIOS, but my knowledge in these areas is painfully miniscule. What is Changing these parts going to require me to do from a software standpoint? What about my OS? What am I going to need to change? Is there anything I can do to my computer beforehand to make it easier to set up afterward? I hope this question isn't to vague, and if it's been asked before, please direct me to the thread it which it was discussed. I took a look around, but didn't find anything that quite matched my circumstances. If you need any details about what I'm running to help me solve this issue, just post what you need to know.