What is "processor thermal margin"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhart333

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
I just built a system with a QX6700 and am trying to test the CPU temperature. Intel's hardware monitor utility says I have a "processor thermal margin" of 52celcius. Does anyone know what thermal margin means? thanks

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
thats a good question!

i am guessing its the point at which the chip begains to throtle the speed and voltage????

possobly the utility takes room temp of which is ~25c and adds the 58c to give you warning or shut off at 83 c which is little high - of coarse a pc i build was at 88c this morning i guess i should have taken the plastic off the windows vents

omg!

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

I like how Tom's was quoted as a source for the definition...

I can't image 52degC being a limit for 'processor damage'. It feels like that could be a temp where the internal throttling may begin to take action... but CPUs are usually rated to 'survive' up to 100 degC. Our underhood microcontrollers are spec'd to operate up to 125 degC.... but non-under hood chips might only be rated to 80-90 degC.

My Q6600 would get into the 70s during a Prime95 run, but a new cooler got it down in the mid 50s. Anyway, I'd prefer to keep it well below the 80s, but you shouldn't see damage until you get into the 90s.

dyspraxia

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
From http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/biosglossarybymenu_v09.pdf

Displays the processor's thermal specification minus its
current temperature, giving you a general indication of how
much hotter it can get before it is running hotter than what it
is designed to handle.
Example: Processor Thermal Margin = 10°C
This processor can get about 10°C hotter than it is
currently running before it will exceed its thermal
specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.