Multiple HDD/Partition XP installaion question

mjcutri

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
I am in the process of upgrading my compter and I can't remember how to configure my hard drives for the best performance. Here are the essential specs.

Old Comp
amd xp 2000+
ECS crap mb (k7s5a pro)
512 (256x2) ddr 266
ati 9600 pro
various old pata hdds (10gb, 13gb, etc)
80gb pata 133 -> current primary drive to be moved to new comp

New Comp
intel pent d 820 (to be upgraded to core 2 duo later)
Abit IB9 p965 MB (its new, but it looks good so far)
1 gb (512x2) ddr2 667 (to be upgraded to 2gb later)
xfx 7600gt
Seagate 160gb sataII -> to be the new primary drive

I use this comp for internet, some audio editing, some CAD, some gaming - C&C mostly and I would like to play C&C 3 when it comes out in march.

How should I partition my drives and where should I install xp, my programs, and my data for the best perfomance?
Thanks.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
best way to install is to have your os on a seperate drive and your files.

also its best to have the os on a smaller drive.

if your 80GB drive is the same speed as your 160Gb hd then put your os on the smaller one.

however if the that is not the case then put your os on the fastest drive you have ;)

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I would partition a storage drive into meaningful compartments for you.

I would also disable the pagefile when you go to 2gb on the ram.

I would never partition the O/S drive. Guys make the argument it's easier to do fresh installs. Great, now you've got to re-install everything else as well.

No! Get your "C" drive set up & working perfectly - everything installed; all the updates & patches in. Then, with True Image (I love TI), throw an image of "C" onto the storage drive. Throw an image after each time you make a major change. You only have to keep the latest two.

If your primary drive starts getting funky - have TI restore the latest image.