New marketing plan at Dell - offer XP - major media release?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Wow i am impressed with dell, well i build systems so yes i am biased, but Dell has made a new major corporate decision to offer XP! :roll:

mike you r the man!

How will Dell implement this major change? They might get out their old hard drives - the ones they use to fix the computers they built last year and ghost xp on to the systems they build this year! :roll:

This is impressive technology, and gladly deserved the media attention it got! :?:

Good job dell! :evil:

Ranks right up there with switching to amd when C2D came out! :twisted:

or the top of the line 700 series that did not have adequacy designed cooling - that most of the kids here on THG could have helped fixed! :twisted:

Dell drives technology don't they?

Don't forget when the cool it freezeone came out - dell bought on the idea and has been selling as its own patented technolgy!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Dell is only doing this because they are getting pwned by HP.

Last quarter market share:
HP +25%
Dell -5%

I wouldnt say thats the only reason. Even though MS has been touting the relase of Vista as 'the second coming of Christ' retailers and analyists have been saying otherwise, and the use of the word "dissapointing" seems to be at an all time high. Initail sales were higher than XPs, but proportionate to the number of PCs in the market, initial sales were below those of XPs and they havent been burning up the race track. This is looking at the number of copies purchased through OEM lisense or retail, i.e the actual number purchsed by consumers. MS has been touting its sales, which are to the OEMs and retailers. In short, Vistas been flying to, but not off the shelves.

You know the rule of thumb....never buy a windows OS until SP1 is out. Just enough people seem to have caught on to that to make a difference. Not to mention that the prices for Vista are just plain stupid, especially considering that without the new file system all it is, is a bloated version of XP with DX 10.

Just MO, but I think offering XP as an option is brilliant, even if all it is, is a desperate scramble for business.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/20/dell_offers_xp_again/

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Nicely put, Turkpit. In addition, SP3 is just about to be released, well sort of!!!!...this might make XP more noticeable than Vista itself when it gets released.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

Aside from this, M$ will be cutting short the life expentansy of XP by Jan 2008...lol...this is what I call FUD at its best! nothing to do with the OP's intended thread of discussion.

NP

I couldn't agree more, Kudos to Dell. Vista is just plain boring and expensive :?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Dell is only doing this because they are getting pwned by HP.

Last quarter market share:
HP +25%
Dell -5%

getting pwd cause they sux so bad! unbelievable what lack of technology dell puts out.

dell should be rank with P&G (tooth paste and soap) as far as their busines type

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Nicely put, Turkpit. In addition, SP3 is just about to be released, well sort of!!!!...this might make XP more noticeable than Vista itself when it gets released.

Aside from this, M$ will be cutting short the life expentansy of XP by Jan 2008...lol...this is what I call FUD at its best! nothing to do with the OP's intended thread of discussion.

NP

Yeah, the shorted life of XP seems a desperation move by MS.

"What, people arent buying Vista. Well, lets make it their only option. They'll have to buy it then"

Lol, just thinking about it.....how much ya willing to bet that MS decides to cut service pack 3 for XP.

SMU_Pony

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006

"What, people arent buying Vista. Well, lets make it their only option. They'll have to buy it then"

Might be the only way they get me - I've already decided to try and stretch XP out until they've replaced Vista with whatever comes next. As long as I can replace this computer and get XP on a new one, that's what I'll end up doing....

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Might be the only way they get me - I've already decided to try and stretch XP out until they've replaced Vista with whatever comes next. As long as I can replace this computer and get XP on a new one, that's what I'll end up doing....

Yeah...Ive bought a couple of 939 AMDs...just to keep some old non Vista non DRM systems around.

Of cousre, MS hasnt learned its lesson, and theres no real competitor around to teach it to them, so what comes after Vista may be even worse. :cry:

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Pretty much anyone buying a new PC now should opt for Vista. While they should offer a choice. Vista for the less computer skilled is far better choice which will be supported for quite some time.

I've been using it Vista 64 for 6 months and rarely enter my XP install. It is a nice OS and more enjoyable to work in than XP by a long shot.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Vista is the last monolithic OS (installed in one big chunk). The next one will be incremental, of sorts, moreso than Vista is now. You will only buy what you want in the OS, and yes, it will have more DRM than you can shake a stick at.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Pretty much anyone buying a new PC now should opt for Vista. While they should offer a choice. Vista for the less computer skilled is far better choice which will be supported for quite some time.

I've been using it Vista 64 for 6 months and rarely enter my XP install. It is a nice OS and more enjoyable to work in than XP by a long shot.

this is true!

"if vista was made by amd it be called XP+" quote from me just now!

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

Yeah...get limewire and try downloading any music or movie (illegal) file; I hope you have plenty of patience with that task! Of course, I'm not against any software based solution to try to step on illegal activity, but those are my 2 cents.

NP

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

NP

Lol, just thinking about it.....how much ya willing to bet that MS decides to cut service pack 3 for XP.

Hell, knowing how M$ is I don't doubt them cutting off the list SP3 for XP. If something like that happens, I believe an action law suit can be brought up on M$ for that...seriously.

NP

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah...get limewire and try downloading any music or movie (illegal) file; I hope you have plenty of patience with that task! Of course, I'm not against any software based solution to try to step on illegal activity, but those are my 2 cents.

NP

What are you talking about? I've been using Vista and Limewire for three months almost, and it works fine. (Back-up copies to movies and music I already own. [For the moderators and administrators.])

As for a class action lawsuit, there wouldn't be much going for it, other then wasting a lot of people's time. Of course, the European Union will now probably fine Microsoft just for the thought of cutting a service pack.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

NP

What are you talking about? I've been using Vista and Limewire for three months almost, and it works fine. (Back-up copies to movies and music I already own. [For the moderators and administrators.])

As for a class action lawsuit, there wouldn't be much going for it, other then wasting a lot of people's time. Of course, the European Union will now probably fine Microsoft just for the thought of cutting a service pack.

If only they would have fined them for the thought of Vista :wink:

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

Exactly, you own those movies and music but I'm referring to stuff downloaded from limewire. I have a handful of songs, not movies so far, which Vista will prevent me from burning. If you want more info, regards my case, I can PM you; perhaps I'm doing/did something wrong, although I sincerely doubt it.

About the EU union comment...lol...please, don't say that aloud as they might be able to hear you. :lol:

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
My main complaint about Vista is it's lackluster performance in games and benchmarking compared to XP. I wouldn't have a problem moving to Vista if they could straighten that out.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i am not a linux user but i am thinking about buying a dell - the cheapest they make so i can use their tech support to train me!

dell linux traing for $400 and then i sell the pc for $250!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
My main complaint about Vista is it's lackluster performance in games and benchmarking compared to XP. I wouldn't have a problem moving to Vista if they could straighten that out.

Exactly, most people here will move to vista once SP1 comes out.

It seems plausable, but I wouldnt bet money on it

I'll be sticking with Win XP for a while. I see no need to upgrade to Vista, unless there is some type of mega uber 64-bit app that I must have. Unlikely.

DX10? Meh. I do play games, but I'm not a hardcore gamer. I figure my Radeon X1900XT 512MB should last me another 1.5 years.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I deal with a small law firm in Europe. They upgraded their 15 or so PCs with 2GB RAM or more and upgraded video for Vista. They have run that OS for two months. And last week, they reinstalled XP on every single computer. Comments: Wasn't worth the trouble; Drivers didn't work; Many functions overly complex and counterintuitive; and worst of all, their proprietary software would crash constantly.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I deal with a small law firm in Europe. They upgraded their 15 or so PCs with 2GB RAM or more and upgraded video for Vista. They have run that OS for two months. And last week, they reinstalled XP on every single computer. Comments: Wasn't worth the trouble; Drivers didn't work; Many functions overly complex and counterintuitive; and worst of all, their proprietary software would crash constantly.

Similar instance with my school. They thought about running Vista, but none of the programs would work. XD

Also, I myself am hesistant about moving to Vista. I bet all my printer/camera/mobile phone/MP3 drivers are all just gonna go down the drain. :[