Sandisk Wireless SD card

July 17, 2005 4:59:51 AM

Does this card support WPA-PSK security?

The literature says it supports WPA, but it doesn't mention WPA_PSK and
I'm a bit concerned about paying out over a hundred bucks for one
without knowing!

Al

Trust me, I'm a chemist....

More about : sandisk wireless card

July 17, 2005 11:07:22 AM

No I haven't, you don't appear to be able to contact anyone at sandisk
apart from sales by email (technical support is only available if you
open an "ebox" with them... whatever that is).

I was rather hoping to find if anyone on this group had experience with
the card, this being a pocketpc group and all......

Al

Trust me, I'm a chemist.....
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 17, 2005 2:55:56 PM

<alchemist@bigfoot.com.au> wrote in message
> Does this card support WPA-PSK security?
>
> The literature says it supports WPA, but it doesn't mention WPA_PSK and
> I'm a bit concerned about paying out over a hundred bucks for one
> without knowing!
>
> Al

You emailed Sandisk and asked?
a b F Wireless
July 17, 2005 10:55:25 PM

Reply to message from alchemist@bigfoot.com.au (Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:07:22)
about "Re: Sandisk Wireless SD card":

a> No I haven't, you don't appear to be able to contact anyone at sandisk
a> apart from sales by email (technical support is only available if you
a> open an "ebox" with them... whatever that is).

a> I was rather hoping to find if anyone on this group had experience with
a> the card, this being a pocketpc group and all......

I have a 128 meg Compact Flash wireless card that is a year old. The WEP
security types listed are HEX, ASCII, and PHRASE, all in either 64 or 128
bit.

FWIW.

JPinOH
Jon Porter <jporterDropthis@netwalk.com> Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:49:13 -0400

July 17, 2005 11:49:51 PM

Thanks Jon,

The problem is I'm not sure about the WPA support on the card, not the
WEP.

My home wireless network uses WPA-PSK encryption with a 40 character
key and the SANDISK card won't be of much use if I have to go and
change the routers security level every time I want to log onto the net
with my ipaq.

I'm looking at the SDIO wireless card, does the compactflash version
have WPA support? How about WPA-PSK?

Al

Trust me, I'm a chemist....

Jon Porter wrote:
> Reply to message from alchemist@bigfoot.com.au (Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:07:22)
> about "Re: Sandisk Wireless SD card":
>

> a> No I haven't, you don't appear to be able to contact anyone at sandisk
> a> apart from sales by email (technical support is only available if you
> a> open an "ebox" with them... whatever that is).
>
> a> I was rather hoping to find if anyone on this group had experience with
> a> the card, this being a pocketpc group and all......
>
> I have a 128 meg Compact Flash wireless card that is a year old. The WEP
> security types listed are HEX, ASCII, and PHRASE, all in either 64 or 128
> bit.
>
> FWIW.
>
> JPinOH
> Jon Porter <jporterDropthis@netwalk.com> Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:49:13 -0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 18, 2005 5:49:36 PM

Sorry, I can not give you an answer, but suggest also checking out the
socket site as the socket card and sandisk card are the same. Socket offers
much better support, as well as a nice forum, where you might get an answer.
(Their drivers for the card are better also) http://www.socketcom.com

HTH
Kent

<alchemist@bigfoot.com.au> wrote in message
| Does this card support WPA-PSK security?
|
| The literature says it supports WPA, but it doesn't mention WPA_PSK and
| I'm a bit concerned about paying out over a hundred bucks for one
| without knowing!
|
| Al
|
| Trust me, I'm a chemist....

August 4, 2005 2:31:33 AM

Well, I finally gave in and wrote to sales at SANDISK. I asked, will
their wifi card support WPA-PSK in my rz1710 (their compatibility chart
lists IPAQ 1710 as being OK with both their wifi cards)...

This was the response:

SanDisk Response: (08/02/2005 04:01)
Please note that the model of PDA is not on our compatibility chart at
this link:

http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/retail/wi-fi-sd-compatibilit...

As for supporting WPA, it does support. However, these are the steps
that must be taken for it to work:

HOW TO ENTER WPA / WPA-PSK

Tap on the two arrows on the top right corner of the PDA
or go to START/SETTINGS/CONNECTIONS/CONNECTIONS/ADVANCED/NETWORK CARD/
Now tap on the ACCESS POINT or network connection you would like to
connect to, then tap NETWORK KEY
Now under AUTHENTICATION you will have the option to select OPEN,
SHARED, WPA OR WPA-PSK
Select WPA or WPA-PSK (DEPENDING ON YOUR SECURITY ALGORITHM SET ON YOUR
ROUTER OR AP) and then under DATA ENCRYPTION you can select TKIP. Now
enter the NETWORK KEY.

PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR SOFTWARE CAN ONLY ALLOW HEXADECIMAL KEY FOR WPA
(WPA-PSK) YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOUR ROUTER CAN SET WPA KEY IN
HEXADECIMAL FORMAT.

The above settings can only be obtain if the correct driver has been
installed. You can download the correct driver at the link:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/256mb-wifi-sd.asp

So... apparently it DOES support WPA-PSK (albeit with a hexadecimal key
only....)

However.... they now seem to think it won;t work in an IPAQ rz1710

Not getting any more confident about this.....

Al

Trust me, I'm a chemist......
!