Samsung 46" DLP vs Sony 42" Grand WEGA

I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted to
the Samsung and
in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of the
Sony.
Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
$2499.

I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the Sony
is better (that I've read)
and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and King
of the Hill.

I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs that
you think are excellent,
in the <$2500. ish price range.

TIA!
14 answers Last reply
More about samsung sony grand wega

    Sony's electronics- scaling, etc are the best in the business, IMHO. When
    others complain about lousy picture quality on SD material, I just smile and
    thank Sony for their good guts. It really makes a difference on some stuff.
    Also for example, my Sony's de interlacer and scaler is much, much better
    than the one in my progressive scan DVD. So I just set the DVD to output
    480i and the Sony upscales it to it's native resolution much better than the
    DVD can.

    This is for a direct view crt model. But I think all WEGA electronics is
    tops.

    "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
    > the Samsung and
    > in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
    the
    > Sony.
    > Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
    > $2499.
    >
    > I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the Sony
    > is better (that I've read)
    > and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
    King
    > of the Hill.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
    that
    > you think are excellent,
    > in the <$2500. ish price range.
    >
    > TIA!

    I chose a GWIII over a Sammy in Oct '03 because it seemed to handle analog
    content more forgivingly than did the Sammy and I was fearful of rainbow and
    headache issues for other viewers though I haven't seen them. No one has
    been able to quantify the percentage of the population nor predict who will
    fall victim to these complaints.
    YMMV
    --
    "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
    - Anon

    "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
    > the Samsung and
    > in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
    > the
    > Sony.
    > Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
    > $2499.
    >
    > I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the Sony
    > is better (that I've read)
    > and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
    > King
    > of the Hill.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
    > that
    > you think are excellent,
    > in the <$2500. ish price range.
    >
    > TIA!

    "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
    > the Samsung and
    > in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
    the
    > Sony.
    > Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
    > $2499.

    I just did a fairly careful comparison and found that the Sony LCD (I fogot
    the
    size of the screen -- it might have been bigger than what you are interested
    in) had too much visible lag. The LCD had a very clear, sharp picture until
    there was significant motion.

    Note that in my high end SDTV equipment, I found that the noise reduction
    that has an effect that is similar to LCD lag to cause the image to be worse
    than leaving the video noise in the picture.

    When comparing between LCD/DLP/etc, the lag on the LCD became visible
    enough that I could never forget that it was there (especially when viewing
    scenes with lots of movement.)

    Given static scenes, I'd suggest that the LCD did look very, very good. On
    the other hand, with movement, the LCD became relatively less enjoyable.

    One other item of note: the default settings for the Sony LCD that I was
    viewing
    were set with MUCH TOO MUCH vertical and horizontal enhancement. The excess
    vertical enhancement did make the stairstep aliasing much more obvious.

    I wouldn't purchase a CURRENT Sony LCD with my own money, but I suspect
    that
    there might be other advantages to the LCD that could tiebreak my negative
    impression.

    My own judgement should be taken ONLY as personal opinion. I am sure that
    there are individuals
    who might disagree, or that a smaller LCD might create less lag.

    John

    My brother in law has the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD RP. The picture on that TV
    is excellent. I would look long and hard at the Sony. In my opinion you
    would not regret buying that TV.
    Norm

    "Norm" <rodeofan1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > My brother in law has the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD RP. The picture on that
    > TV is excellent. I would look long and hard at the Sony. In my opinion you
    > would not regret buying that TV.
    > Norm

    >>> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really
    >>> attracted to
    >>> the Samsung and
    >>> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
    >>> the
    >>> Sony.
    >>> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
    >>> $2499.
    >>>
    >>> I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the
    >>> Sony
    >>> is better (that I've read)
    >>> and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
    >>> King
    >>> of the Hill.
    >>>
    >>> I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
    >>> that
    >>> you think are excellent,
    >>> in the <$2500. ish price range.
    >>>
    >>> TIA!

    I have the Sony Grand Wega 42 and the picture is FANTASTIC! I picked it up
    about 2 weeks ago and I've been VERY happy with it. I took a look at a lot
    of televisions and after a ton of research, I chose the Sony. If you have
    any specific questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me on this NG.
    I'm no expert, but I did do a lot of legwork.
    Strychnine

    > I have the Sony Grand Wega 42 and the picture is FANTASTIC! I picked it
    up
    > about 2 weeks ago and I've been VERY happy with it. I took a look at a
    lot
    > of televisions and after a ton of research, I chose the Sony. If you have
    > any specific questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me on this
    NG.
    > I'm no expert, but I did do a lot of legwork.
    > Strychnine

    The main concern I have is with current analog signal input. One of the
    biggest
    knocks I read on the Samsung was shows like The Simpsons and King of the
    Hill have a poor picture.

    How well does the Sony render these?

    >> I have the Sony Grand Wega 42 and the picture is FANTASTIC! I picked it
    > up
    >> about 2 weeks ago and I've been VERY happy with it. I took a look at a
    > lot
    >> of televisions and after a ton of research, I chose the Sony. If you
    >> have
    >> any specific questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me on this
    > NG.
    >> I'm no expert, but I did do a lot of legwork.
    >> Strychnine
    >>

    > The main concern I have is with current analog signal input. One of the
    > biggest
    > knocks I read on the Samsung was shows like The Simpsons and King of the
    > Hill have a poor picture.
    >
    > How well does the Sony render these?

    Right now I have a DirecTV (not HD) going into the set. So my signals are
    all digital, but in the manual its says that the NTSC waveform signals are
    upconverted to near HD equalivents. When I used the autoprogram function I
    picked up 4 channels in HD and the picture is STUNNING! I don't know if
    this answered your question or not, but I'll keep on looking for you and
    I'll post if I find anything..
    Strychnine

    I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
    available in a week or so. The price was $2299.

    That seems to be the best non online price I can find.

    The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
    he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
    He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
    the TV at $2099. instead and charged
    $499. for the extended warranty.

    Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
    I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
    no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.

    This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100655

    I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really helped
    me out a lot.

    ~Thanks :-)

    $75 per year for years 2 - 5 seems like a small price to pay for peace of
    mind and far less than even a single repair might cost. Many times you can
    still purchase the extended warranty at any time the original warrantee is
    still in effect. I know that was the case with a Sony laptop I purchased
    from Circuit City. You may want to try to get the reduced price on the
    television and tell them you'll buy the warantee at a later date after
    you've had time to consider it.

    You are the buyer and it's certainly worth a shot.

    "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
    > $75 per year for years 2 - 5 seems like a small price to pay for peace of
    > mind and far less than even a single repair might cost. Many times you can
    > still purchase the extended warranty at any time the original warrantee is
    > still in effect. I know that was the case with a Sony laptop I purchased
    > from Circuit City. You may want to try to get the reduced price on the
    > television and tell them you'll buy the warantee at a later date after
    > you've had time to consider it.
    >
    > You are the buyer and it's certainly worth a shot.
    >

    > "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
    >> available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
    >>
    >> That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
    >>
    >> The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him
    >> if
    >> he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
    >> He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
    >> the TV at $2099. instead and charged
    >> $499. for the extended warranty.
    >>
    >> Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the
    >> manufacturer.
    >> I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
    >> no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.
    >>
    >> This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
    >> http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100655
    >>
    >> I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really
    >> helped
    >> me out a lot.
    >>
    >> ~Thanks :-)

    They tried the same offer for me, but told me that I could only purchase the
    extended warranty within 30 days. I'm going to get it. That way I can
    watch hassle-free for 4 years. When you get it home, have it scan for
    digital signals with the internal reciever. I hooked up my indoor antenna
    (a Terk regular indooor antenna) to the RF input and BAM 4 HD channels.
    That's if you don't already get HD. Great choice! You'll love that set.
    Strychnine

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:55:14 -0800, "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
    >available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
    >
    >That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
    >
    >The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
    >he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
    >He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
    >the TV at $2099. instead and charged
    >$499. for the extended warranty.
    >
    >Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
    >I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
    >no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.
    >
    >This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
    >http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100655
    >
    >I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really helped
    >me out a lot.
    >
    >~Thanks :-)

    If you decide to get it, make sure that it covers the bulb. Thats
    one mighty expensive lamp!

    dickm

    WJ wrote:
    > I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
    > available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
    >
    > That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
    >
    > The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
    > he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
    > He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
    > the TV at $2099. instead and charged
    > $499. for the extended warranty.
    >
    > Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
    > I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
    > no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.

    You probably are. We've had this discussion here - in depth - several
    times in the last year. I suggest a google search of this group on the
    topic of "extended warranty", or similar search terms.

    These warranties are very much overpriced, so much so in fact that they
    are one of the highest profit items sold by your store. That's why the
    salesman was so anxious to sell you the warranty. He makes a very
    healthy commission on it.

    But yours is an interesting scenario. You've effectively negotiated for
    a lower price on the set if you buy the warranty. I would suggest this:
    Go to another Circuit City and see if you can negotiate the same lower
    price WITHOUT the warranty. If you can, then the warranty is still
    costing you $500. If you can't, then the net cost of the warranty is
    only $300.

    Keep this in mind - that "4-year" warranty actually covers three years
    of the set's life (since the first year is already covered by the
    manufacturer). And the three years covered (years 2, 3, and 4) are
    exactly the years in which the set is LEAST likely to fail. Failures in
    the first year do happen from time to time, but any set that makes it
    through that first year is very likely to continue to work perfectly
    through the first five years. So in nearly every case, that warranty
    turns out to be pure (as in 100%!) profit for the retailer.

    "Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message

    > Keep this in mind - that "4-year" warranty actually covers three years
    > of the set's life (since the first year is already covered by the
    > manufacturer).

    Actually if the store warranty is better than the manufacturer's,
    then the overlap might be worthwhile.

    I've never before purchased a warranty, but I bought the Sears
    warranty for my Sony LCD RPTV because it covers bulb replacement
    and Sony doesn't. Also beceause the reliability track record
    on these things doesn't inspire confidence. If reliability is
    not an issue in the first 3 years, I'll let it lapse.

    Don

    "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote:
    > I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
    > to the Samsung and
    > in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
    > the Sony.
    > Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
    > $2499.
    >
    > I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the
    > Sony is better (that I've read)
    > and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
    > King of the Hill.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
    > that you think are excellent,
    > in the <$2500. ish price range.
    >
    > TIA!

    Check the online price again. It's $2249. Ask them
    to match that price and you will save another $50.
    Chip

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

HDTV TV Sony Reviews Samsung Home Theatre