Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Samsung 46" DLP vs Sony 42" Grand WEGA

Tags:
  • HDTV
  • TV
  • Sony
  • Reviews
  • Samsung
  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
November 21, 2004 1:46:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted to
the Samsung and
in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of the
Sony.
Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
$2499.

I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the Sony
is better (that I've read)
and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and King
of the Hill.

I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs that
you think are excellent,
in the <$2500. ish price range.

TIA!

More about : samsung dlp sony grand wega

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 21, 2004 5:39:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Sony's electronics- scaling, etc are the best in the business, IMHO. When
others complain about lousy picture quality on SD material, I just smile and
thank Sony for their good guts. It really makes a difference on some stuff.
Also for example, my Sony's de interlacer and scaler is much, much better
than the one in my progressive scan DVD. So I just set the DVD to output
480i and the Sony upscales it to it's native resolution much better than the
DVD can.

This is for a direct view crt model. But I think all WEGA electronics is
tops.


"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:XQWnd.339989$a85.112408@fed1read04...
> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
to
> the Samsung and
> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
the
> Sony.
> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
> $2499.
>
> I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the Sony
> is better (that I've read)
> and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
King
> of the Hill.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
that
> you think are excellent,
> in the <$2500. ish price range.
>
> TIA!
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 21, 2004 2:18:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I chose a GWIII over a Sammy in Oct '03 because it seemed to handle analog
content more forgivingly than did the Sammy and I was fearful of rainbow and
headache issues for other viewers though I haven't seen them. No one has
been able to quantify the percentage of the population nor predict who will
fall victim to these complaints.
YMMV
--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:XQWnd.339989$a85.112408@fed1read04...
> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
> to
> the Samsung and
> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
> the
> Sony.
> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
> $2499.
>
> I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the Sony
> is better (that I've read)
> and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
> King
> of the Hill.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
> that
> you think are excellent,
> in the <$2500. ish price range.
>
> TIA!
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 21, 2004 8:26:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:XQWnd.339989$a85.112408@fed1read04...
> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
to
> the Samsung and
> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
the
> Sony.
> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
> $2499.
>
I just did a fairly careful comparison and found that the Sony LCD (I fogot
the
size of the screen -- it might have been bigger than what you are interested
in) had too much visible lag. The LCD had a very clear, sharp picture until
there was significant motion.

Note that in my high end SDTV equipment, I found that the noise reduction
that has an effect that is similar to LCD lag to cause the image to be worse
than leaving the video noise in the picture.

When comparing between LCD/DLP/etc, the lag on the LCD became visible
enough that I could never forget that it was there (especially when viewing
scenes with lots of movement.)

Given static scenes, I'd suggest that the LCD did look very, very good. On
the other hand, with movement, the LCD became relatively less enjoyable.

One other item of note: the default settings for the Sony LCD that I was
viewing
were set with MUCH TOO MUCH vertical and horizontal enhancement. The excess
vertical enhancement did make the stairstep aliasing much more obvious.

I wouldn't purchase a CURRENT Sony LCD with my own money, but I suspect
that
there might be other advantages to the LCD that could tiebreak my negative
impression.

My own judgement should be taken ONLY as personal opinion. I am sure that
there are individuals
who might disagree, or that a smaller LCD might create less lag.

John
November 21, 2004 8:34:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

My brother in law has the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD RP. The picture on that TV
is excellent. I would look long and hard at the Sony. In my opinion you
would not regret buying that TV.
Norm


....
>> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
>> to
>> the Samsung and
>> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
>> the
>> Sony.
>> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
>> $2499.
>>
>> I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the
>> Sony
>> is better (that I've read)
>> and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
>> King
>> of the Hill.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
>> that
>> you think are excellent,
>> in the <$2500. ish price range.
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>>
>
>
November 21, 2004 8:34:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Norm" <rodeofan1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:kk4od.44588$7i4.19921@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> My brother in law has the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD RP. The picture on that
> TV is excellent. I would look long and hard at the Sony. In my opinion you
> would not regret buying that TV.
> Norm
>
>
> ...
>>> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really
>>> attracted to
>>> the Samsung and
>>> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
>>> the
>>> Sony.
>>> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
>>> $2499.
>>>
>>> I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the
>>> Sony
>>> is better (that I've read)
>>> and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
>>> King
>>> of the Hill.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
>>> that
>>> you think are excellent,
>>> in the <$2500. ish price range.
>>>
>>> TIA!
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>

I have the Sony Grand Wega 42 and the picture is FANTASTIC! I picked it up
about 2 weeks ago and I've been VERY happy with it. I took a look at a lot
of televisions and after a ton of research, I chose the Sony. If you have
any specific questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me on this NG.
I'm no expert, but I did do a lot of legwork.
Strychnine
November 21, 2004 8:34:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> I have the Sony Grand Wega 42 and the picture is FANTASTIC! I picked it
up
> about 2 weeks ago and I've been VERY happy with it. I took a look at a
lot
> of televisions and after a ton of research, I chose the Sony. If you have
> any specific questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me on this
NG.
> I'm no expert, but I did do a lot of legwork.
> Strychnine
>
>


The main concern I have is with current analog signal input. One of the
biggest
knocks I read on the Samsung was shows like The Simpsons and King of the
Hill have a poor picture.

How well does the Sony render these?
November 21, 2004 8:35:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:QA5od.340040$a85.309111@fed1read04...
>
>> I have the Sony Grand Wega 42 and the picture is FANTASTIC! I picked it
> up
>> about 2 weeks ago and I've been VERY happy with it. I took a look at a
> lot
>> of televisions and after a ton of research, I chose the Sony. If you
>> have
>> any specific questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask me on this
> NG.
>> I'm no expert, but I did do a lot of legwork.
>> Strychnine
>>
>>
>
>
> The main concern I have is with current analog signal input. One of the
> biggest
> knocks I read on the Samsung was shows like The Simpsons and King of the
> Hill have a poor picture.
>
> How well does the Sony render these?
>

Right now I have a DirecTV (not HD) going into the set. So my signals are
all digital, but in the manual its says that the NTSC waveform signals are
upconverted to near HD equalivents. When I used the autoprogram function I
picked up 4 channels in HD and the picture is STUNNING! I don't know if
this answered your question or not, but I'll keep on looking for you and
I'll post if I find anything..
Strychnine
November 21, 2004 10:55:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
available in a week or so. The price was $2299.

That seems to be the best non online price I can find.

The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
the TV at $2099. instead and charged
$499. for the extended warranty.

Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.

This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100...

I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really helped
me out a lot.

~Thanks :-)
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 21, 2004 11:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

$75 per year for years 2 - 5 seems like a small price to pay for peace of
mind and far less than even a single repair might cost. Many times you can
still purchase the extended warranty at any time the original warrantee is
still in effect. I know that was the case with a Sony laptop I purchased
from Circuit City. You may want to try to get the reduced price on the
television and tell them you'll buy the warantee at a later date after
you've had time to consider it.

You are the buyer and it's certainly worth a shot.


"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:zqdod.340086$a85.75134@fed1read04...
>I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
> available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
>
> That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
>
> The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
> he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
> He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
> the TV at $2099. instead and charged
> $499. for the extended warranty.
>
> Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
> I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
> no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.
>
> This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
> http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100...
>
> I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really
> helped
> me out a lot.
>
> ~Thanks :-)
>
>
>
>
>
November 22, 2004 2:45:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
news:M4mdnX0Ns-SR7TzcRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> $75 per year for years 2 - 5 seems like a small price to pay for peace of
> mind and far less than even a single repair might cost. Many times you can
> still purchase the extended warranty at any time the original warrantee is
> still in effect. I know that was the case with a Sony laptop I purchased
> from Circuit City. You may want to try to get the reduced price on the
> television and tell them you'll buy the warantee at a later date after
> you've had time to consider it.
>
> You are the buyer and it's certainly worth a shot.
>
>
> "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:zqdod.340086$a85.75134@fed1read04...
>>I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
>> available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
>>
>> That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
>>
>> The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him
>> if
>> he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
>> He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
>> the TV at $2099. instead and charged
>> $499. for the extended warranty.
>>
>> Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the
>> manufacturer.
>> I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
>> no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.
>>
>> This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
>> http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100...
>>
>> I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really
>> helped
>> me out a lot.
>>
>> ~Thanks :-)
>>
>>
>>

They tried the same offer for me, but told me that I could only purchase the
extended warranty within 30 days. I'm going to get it. That way I can
watch hassle-free for 4 years. When you get it home, have it scan for
digital signals with the internal reciever. I hooked up my indoor antenna
(a Terk regular indooor antenna) to the RF input and BAM 4 HD channels.
That's if you don't already get HD. Great choice! You'll love that set.
Strychnine
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 22, 2004 10:46:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:55:14 -0800, "WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote:

>I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
>available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
>
>That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
>
>The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
>he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
>He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
>the TV at $2099. instead and charged
>$499. for the extended warranty.
>
>Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
>I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
>no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.
>
>This is the one I'm getting for $2299.
>http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=100...
>
>I really appreciate everybody's feedback here. You guys have really helped
>me out a lot.
>
>~Thanks :-)
>
>
>
>
If you decide to get it, make sure that it covers the bulb. Thats
one mighty expensive lamp!

dickm
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 22, 2004 10:48:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

WJ wrote:
> I went down to pick up the Sony today. It's on back order and will be
> available in a week or so. The price was $2299.
>
> That seems to be the best non online price I can find.
>
> The sales guy wanted to sell me a 4 year warranty for $499. I told him if
> he gave it to me for $299., I'd take it.
> He came back with his "manager's approval" pretty quick. But they priced
> the TV at $2099. instead and charged
> $499. for the extended warranty.
>
> Should I get the warranty? It's covered for 1 year from the manufacturer.
> I've had an RCA for the last 15 years with
> no problems whatsoever. Part of me feels like I'm wasting $299.

You probably are. We've had this discussion here - in depth - several
times in the last year. I suggest a google search of this group on the
topic of "extended warranty", or similar search terms.

These warranties are very much overpriced, so much so in fact that they
are one of the highest profit items sold by your store. That's why the
salesman was so anxious to sell you the warranty. He makes a very
healthy commission on it.

But yours is an interesting scenario. You've effectively negotiated for
a lower price on the set if you buy the warranty. I would suggest this:
Go to another Circuit City and see if you can negotiate the same lower
price WITHOUT the warranty. If you can, then the warranty is still
costing you $500. If you can't, then the net cost of the warranty is
only $300.

Keep this in mind - that "4-year" warranty actually covers three years
of the set's life (since the first year is already covered by the
manufacturer). And the three years covered (years 2, 3, and 4) are
exactly the years in which the set is LEAST likely to fail. Failures in
the first year do happen from time to time, but any set that makes it
through that first year is very likely to continue to work perfectly
through the first five years. So in nearly every case, that warranty
turns out to be pure (as in 100%!) profit for the retailer.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 22, 2004 12:24:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
news:g7-dnStqgd-KfTzcRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
>
> Keep this in mind - that "4-year" warranty actually covers three years
> of the set's life (since the first year is already covered by the
> manufacturer).

Actually if the store warranty is better than the manufacturer's,
then the overlap might be worthwhile.

I've never before purchased a warranty, but I bought the Sears
warranty for my Sony LCD RPTV because it covers bulb replacement
and Sony doesn't. Also beceause the reliability track record
on these things doesn't inspire confidence. If reliability is
not an issue in the first 3 years, I'll let it lapse.

Don
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 22, 2004 7:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"WJ" <wj@nospam.com> wrote:
> I've been in the market for a HDTV for some time. I was really attracted
> to the Samsung and
> in the store it still looks the sharpest. Recently I've read reviews of
> the Sony.
> Where I live, Circuit City has the Sony for $2299. and the Samsung for
> $2499.
>
> I really don't want a TV bigger than 46". The online reviews say the
> Sony is better (that I've read)
> and that the Samsung doesn't look good with shows like The Simpsons and
> King of the Hill.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback from others on these two, or any other TVs
> that you think are excellent,
> in the <$2500. ish price range.
>
> TIA!

Check the online price again. It's $2249. Ask them
to match that price and you will save another $50.
Chip

--
-------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB