Sign in with
Your question

stupid question ahead!!

Last response: in Memory
April 22, 2007 7:58:15 PM

I know this sounds really dumb, but I have one question about dual channel ram.

If I buy 2 sticks of 1gig of ddr2 ram,( because theres a really good deal on single stick) and I put them side by side on my gigabyte s3 mobo, will it act as dual channel or I really have to buy a pack of 2 sticks together??

More about : stupid question ahead

April 22, 2007 8:22:21 PM

thanks, thats what I thought but wanted to make sure before ordering today.
April 22, 2007 8:38:43 PM

And depending on the chipset on your MB, it will likely work fine even if the DIMMs have different specs.
Related resources
April 22, 2007 9:22:16 PM

Quote:
I know this sounds really dumb, but I have one question about dual channel ram.

If I buy 2 sticks of 1gig of ddr2 ram,( because theres a really good deal on single stick) and I put them side by side on my gigabyte s3 mobo, will it act as dual channel or I really have to buy a pack of 2 sticks together??

Not neccesarily. Especially if you are dealing with value ram. Value Ram is basically the cheapest stuff that the companies can get their hands on, from wherever.

I discussed this topic a short while ago. If the 2 DIMMs are from different sources they may not Dual Channel. However, if you buy them at the same time, they may be from the same box.

I like the Kingston 2gb DDR2 667 kit for $107. Good Stuff and it will Dual Channel
April 22, 2007 9:34:42 PM

Quote:
As long as the sticks have same specs (could be different company), then it will run dual channel.

Don't worry, there are no stupid questions, it's just a way of learning new things. :wink:

Arent you in a good mood.
April 22, 2007 9:36:03 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, there are no stupid questions, it's just a way of learning new things.

Should i sell my 8800gts and get a 6800xt :p 
how is that for a stupid question
April 22, 2007 9:47:32 PM

For my aging desktop, when I bought the parts I started with 2x512 533 Corsair ValueRam. A year later I got a second pair of Corsair ValueRam, but the chips were different. The sticks don't even look the same. Dual-channel still works, so either I got lucky or my board is good enough to work out the differences.

What, exactly, are the criteria for getting dual-channel working. As far as I can figure, it would be:

1) same size
2) same frequency
3) same timings
4) same voltage

Are there other details that also need to be matched?
April 22, 2007 10:19:29 PM

Depending on the chipset, 2-3 in your post are normally not necessary (on the more recent Intel chipsets, even #1 is not necessary).

Voltage is the same for all installed RAM, so normally that shouldn't be an issue (unless there is no voltage that allows all the installed RAM to work properly).
April 22, 2007 10:25:53 PM

How if both rams are 1gb and have same speed of 800mhz but with different timings? Can they run dual channel?

How if the memory chip are from different manufacturers. Let's say 1 is from Hynix and another is samsung.
April 22, 2007 10:34:44 PM

Actually "chipset" refers to the north/south bridge and related chips on the MB, so there is only one of those per MB.
You can certainly mix RAM chip brands, DIMM brands, timings, voltages, etc. However, the overall system also includes the MB/chipset design.
The better quality each component, the better your overall chances of having everything work fine. Recent Intel chipsets, in particular, are very forgiving and should run dual channel mode on just about anything.
April 22, 2007 11:18:24 PM

:lol: 
April 23, 2007 12:19:08 AM

Halt, tis thee joex444 in cloaken dagger dress with a warning of fortune reprisal, o oohhaa. I jest to you that the same memory sticks you wish to buy are generally cheaper in a kit than seperate, and request you consider only the high quality RAM, not the value RAM.

To that end, dear poster, I offer you a tale of terror, in regards to the G.Skill corporation which has manufactured the RAM sticks I use to write for you these letters. Tis a tale of price, oh, what a tale it is. On the day before the first of the month of March in the year of now, the store of new eggs offered me the RAM I speak to you of for a mere $170. On today's date, it is a lowered price of just a $130. However, if you had been wide eyed and alert just as of yesterday, such an item would be yours for $110. Find me, o oohhaa, where you have seen such quality RAM for $65/GB elsewhere? Now, I must request you limit yourself to the PC2-6400 variety of these items, less we compare apples and oranges, a feat not entirely undoable just merely un-fruitful.

</best post ever>
April 23, 2007 12:21:07 AM

Quote:
Halt, tis thee joex444 in cloaken dagger dress with a warning of fortune reprisal, o oohhaa. I jest to you that the same memory sticks you wish to buy are generally cheaper in a kit than seperate, and request you consider only the high quality RAM, not the value RAM.

To that end, dear poster, I offer you a tale of terror, in regards to the G.Skill corporation which has manufactured the RAM sticks I use to write for you these letters. Tis a tale of price, oh, what a tale it is. On the day before the first of the month of March in the year of now, the store of new eggs offered me the RAM I speak to you of for a mere $170. On today's date, it is a lowered price of just a $130. However, if you had been wide eyed and alert just as of yesterday, such an item would be yours for $110. Find me, o oohhaa, where you have seen such quality RAM for $65/GB elsewhere? Now, I must request you limit yourself to the PC2-6400 variety of these items, less we compare apples and oranges, a feat not entirely undoable just merely un-fruitful.

</best post ever>

Stop playing MMPORGs

just stop, for everyones sake
April 23, 2007 1:10:03 AM

Quote:
:lol: 

No joke....

:cry: 
April 23, 2007 1:30:58 AM

MMORPGs suck, give a failing English major a break...
April 23, 2007 2:13:39 AM

Quote:
MMORPGs suck, give a failing English major a break...

ouch
April 23, 2007 2:44:10 AM

What do you do, with a B.A. in English?
April 23, 2007 4:03:52 AM

lol, I'm afraid I won't find out :( 
April 23, 2007 4:12:20 AM

hehe... I was referring, of course, to Avenue Q.

At least one of my friends has a B.A. in English (I guess the letters B.Eng. were already taken by us Engineers). She's working at a bank now and doing quite well for herself. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes on to take a course in business later on, once she's climbed the latter a ways. Other than her, I think most others I've known took English with the hopes of teaching.
!