Sign in with
Your question

Male molex connector on motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2007 8:22:01 PM

I'm using an Abit K9 SLI motherboard. Link to motherboard spec

On the motherboard there is a male molex connector. According to the manual, the connector's purpose is to provide an auxiliary power source for the devices added on PCI EXPRESS slots. Currently i'm using a single Galaxy Geforce 8800GTS(640mb) with the K9 SLI, powered by a 6-pin PCIe power cable. The question now is, do i need to connect a female molex power connector to the male molex connector on the motherboard?

Refer to the images below.

Molex connector shown circled in red

Source: Taken from motherboard manual.
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 8:25:09 PM

Do you want to run another g80 card in sli?
If so use another molex from your psu not from the mobo.
April 22, 2007 8:32:48 PM

Quote:
Do you want to run another g80 card in sli?

No, currently i'm only using a single card.
Quote:
If so use another molex from your psu not from the mobo.

You didn't actually give me an answer to my question. My question is do i need to connect a molex power cable to the molex connector on the motherboard? My 8800GTS is currently powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector.

The molex connector on the motherboard does not provide power, but requires a molex power cable.

Thanks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 8:35:19 PM

Quote:
You didn't actually give me an answer to my question. My question is do i need to connect a molex power cable to the molex connector on the motherboard? My 8800GTS is currently powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector.

No your card gets some of its power (approx 75watts)
from the pci-e slot and the rest of its power (about 150 to 200 watts)
from the 6 pin molex connect.
April 22, 2007 8:44:13 PM

Quote:
No your card gets some of its power (approx 75watts)
from the pci-e slot and the rest of its power (about 150 to 200 watts)
from the 6 pin molex connect.

Yes the PCIe bus provides 75 watts and the 8800GTS requires a 6-pin PCIe power cable. I have those connected. The thing is there is a molex connector on my motherboard, and according to the manual when connected to a molex power cable from the PSU, it provides auxiliary power source for devices added on PCI Express slots. So do i need to connect a molex power cable from the PSU to the molex connector on the motherboard?
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 8:48:06 PM

No.

I have the same plug on my comp/mobo and have ran sli (currently)
running an 8800gts.

I have never hooked any plug into the male molex on the mobo.
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 8:49:19 PM

It's optional for added stability especially when using 2 PCI-e 16X cards. My DFI has two connectors, one molex and one FDD style. If your system is stable without it, don't worry about it.

I just hooked both up anyway on my DFI even though I am running just one 8800GTS.
April 22, 2007 8:55:25 PM

Quote:
No.

I have the same plug on my comp/mobo and have ran sli (currently)
running an 8800gts.

I have never hooked any plug into the male molex on the mobo.

Quote:
It's for added stability especially when using 2 PCI-e 16X cards. My DFI has two connectors, one molex and one FDD style. If your system is stable without it, don't worry about it.

I just hooked both up anyway on my DFI even though I am running just one 8800GTS.

Owh okay. Since my system is running stable i should't bother about connecting a molex cable then. Thanks alot.
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2007 9:03:05 PM

goodluck and have fun.
April 22, 2007 9:11:36 PM

Unless you are having stability problems you can just ignore it.
!