Male molex connector on motherboard

I'm using an Abit K9 SLI motherboard. Link to motherboard spec

On the motherboard there is a male molex connector. According to the manual, the connector's purpose is to provide an auxiliary power source for the devices added on PCI EXPRESS slots. Currently i'm using a single Galaxy Geforce 8800GTS(640mb) with the K9 SLI, powered by a 6-pin PCIe power cable. The question now is, do i need to connect a female molex power connector to the male molex connector on the motherboard?

Refer to the images below.

Molex connector shown circled in red

Source: Taken from motherboard manual.
9 answers Last reply
More about male molex connector motherboard
  1. Do you want to run another g80 card in sli?
    If so use another molex from your psu not from the mobo.
  2. Quote:
    Do you want to run another g80 card in sli?

No, currently i'm only using a single card.
    Quote:
    If so use another molex from your psu not from the mobo.

You didn't actually give me an answer to my question. My question is do i need to connect a molex power cable to the molex connector on the motherboard? My 8800GTS is currently powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector.

The molex connector on the motherboard does not provide power, but requires a molex power cable.

Thanks.
  3. Quote:
    You didn't actually give me an answer to my question. My question is do i need to connect a molex power cable to the molex connector on the motherboard? My 8800GTS is currently powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector.

No your card gets some of its power (approx 75watts)
    from the pci-e slot and the rest of its power (about 150 to 200 watts)
    from the 6 pin molex connect.
  4. Quote:
    No your card gets some of its power (approx 75watts)
    from the pci-e slot and the rest of its power (about 150 to 200 watts)
    from the 6 pin molex connect.

Yes the PCIe bus provides 75 watts and the 8800GTS requires a 6-pin PCIe power cable. I have those connected. The thing is there is a molex connector on my motherboard, and according to the manual when connected to a molex power cable from the PSU, it provides auxiliary power source for devices added on PCI Express slots. So do i need to connect a molex power cable from the PSU to the molex connector on the motherboard?
  5. No.

I have the same plug on my comp/mobo and have ran sli (currently)
    running an 8800gts.

I have never hooked any plug into the male molex on the mobo.
  6. It's optional for added stability especially when using 2 PCI-e 16X cards. My DFI has two connectors, one molex and one FDD style. If your system is stable without it, don't worry about it.

I just hooked both up anyway on my DFI even though I am running just one 8800GTS.
  7. Quote:
    No.

I have the same plug on my comp/mobo and have ran sli (currently)
    running an 8800gts.

I have never hooked any plug into the male molex on the mobo.

Quote:
    It's for added stability especially when using 2 PCI-e 16X cards. My DFI has two connectors, one molex and one FDD style. If your system is stable without it, don't worry about it.

I just hooked both up anyway on my DFI even though I am running just one 8800GTS.

Owh okay. Since my system is running stable i should't bother about connecting a molex cable then. Thanks alot.
  8. goodluck and have fun.
  9. Unless you are having stability problems you can just ignore it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Motherboards Graphics