Can I use a COA and XP pro disk that did not come together

AhoyCpu

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hi, I just bought a laptop off ebay and it has windows xp pro installed. I did not recieve a recovery disk or a windows xp pro disk, but its has a Certificate of Authenticity sticker (the licensed product key associated with the computer). I have a xp pro disk from my install i did on my desktop, can i use my xp pro disk from my desktop and the license from the COA sticker and do a fresh install of windows on the laptop with no problems.

Thanks.

Sorry if the questions stupid.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
That's what we do on the forum.

The answer is yes! No problem. Anybody's Pro cd would do the job. It's great that you have your own.

You can, however, use your desktop license as well. A legit product key can be used for BOTH a desktop and a laptop.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Try it. Should be okay. If you get refused, use the COA key.

I know for sure that keys associated with full versions can be used twice - as long as one unit is a laptop.

G

Try it. Should be okay. If you get refused, use the COA key.

I know for sure that keys associated with full versions can be used twice - as long as one unit is a laptop.

Not true. That only works for Office XP is you bought a seperate copy. XP CD keys must be used with the same type of XP CD. IE. You need a Windows XP Pro OEM CD with a Windows XP Pro OEM Key.

Grumpy

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I made the assumption that his XP Pro disc was oem. I know flavors have to match.

If it's not oem (it's a full version), then he has to use his desktop key.

I apologize for the lack of clarity.

AhoyCpu

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
So I have to use a oem xp pro key with a oem xp pro disc? I cant use a retail xp pro key with a oem xp pro disc. The key is original to the notebook so dont the manufatures(IBM) use oem copies to install windows, so my oem xp pro disc should work with the notebooks xp pro key. Yes?
Thanks agian for all the help.