Help on Making a Linux Server

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
First of all, please forgive my noobishness, but I really want to learn more about Linux...

I downloaded Ubuntu Server (Edgy Eft) and installed it on one of my computers. I am trying to install Xfce, Abyss, and PureFTPd onto it, but I have no clue on how to do so. Could someone please kindly walk me through installing each of these packages? I'm sure I'll catch on after awhile; I am more than willing to give Linux a try.

Or, would it be easier to just install Xubuntu, then install Abyss, PureFTPd, and any other packages onto that?

I mainly want to make this computer into a webserver and ftpserver.

Thanks in advance.

linux_0

Splendid
I would suggest Ubuntu 6.10 or Fedora Core 6.

If you have a P4 use i386 if you have an AMD64 use x86_64 / amd64

Normally the installer allows you to select additional packages for installation ( such as XFCE ).

If it does not, you can install the packages you want after the installation is done using apt-get on Ubuntu or yum on Fedora ( assuming you have a fast internet connection ).

For example:

Ubuntu:

[code:1:1019caf3a6]
apt-get install package_name
[/code:1:1019caf3a6]

Fedora, CentOS, etc

[code:1:1019caf3a6]
yum install package_name
[/code:1:1019caf3a6]

If this server is going to be in-house then you may want to install XFCE, Gnome or KDE if it going to be at a remote location you do not need the GUI unless you really wish to use it over a fast connection.

Typically the GUI is not installed on servers.

As any security conscious person will tell you, you should never use ftp if you can avoid it.

If you need to allow anonymous downloading use HTTP.

If you need to allow uploading and downloading use SFTP.

GL :-D

First of all, please forgive my noobishness, but I really want to learn more about Linux...

I downloaded Ubuntu Server (Edgy Eft) and installed it on one of my computers. I am trying to install Xfce, Abyss, and PureFTPd onto it, but I have no clue on how to do so. Could someone please kindly walk me through installing each of these packages? I'm sure I'll catch on after awhile; I am more than willing to give Linux a try.

Or, would it be easier to just install Xubuntu, then install Abyss, PureFTPd, and any other packages onto that?

I mainly want to make this computer into a webserver and ftpserver.

Thanks in advance.

I would say you are best to install Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Dapper Drake).

Ubuntu Download

The server version give options on installing various server centric applications. One of these is Apache which is another option for the web server. It also offers the option to install secure ftp.

Installing XFCE is a snap. It would be.

[code:1:ef0ef1152d]sudo apt-get install xfce[/code:1:ef0ef1152d]

If you then log out of your X session you can then select it from the login menu options and log straight back in again running XFCE. No need for a reboot

If you really are set on using Abyss (and I'll admit I had a hunt to find it) then you would download the Linux version from here Abyss Download

And follow the installation guide here Abyss (free) Linux - documentation

It appears to be closed source which would put me off but then I don't know your situation. Is it a product you know or have had recommended?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
If this server is going to be in-house then you may want to install XFCE, Gnome or KDE if it going to be at a remote location you do not need the GUI unless you really wish to use it over a fast connection.

Typically the GUI is not installed on servers.

As any security conscious person will tell you, you should never use ftp if you can avoid it
:trophy:

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
It appears to be closed source which would put me off but then I don't know your situation. Is it a product you know or have had recommended?

Yes, my friend reccomended it to me, and even gave me the full version of it.

Also, I accidentally posted the wrong version of Ubuntu Server. I do have the 6.10 Drapper Drake or whatever its called.
But, I switched to a different distro of Linux: PHLAK. It seemed to me that it is was a heck of a lot easier to work with, well, mainly because it already had Xfce installed :p

But yeah, sorry for switching like that, but would installing the packages be the same?

Also, are there any other recommendations for making a webserver and ftpserver? Such as a secure FTP packages or anything else? I kinda need to have FTP on this server because I don't have enough monitors to set up a desktop for it, so it will just sit lonely without a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. So i was hoping i could use FTP to upload whatever files i need to instead of putting it on a flash drive, runnning downstairs, then putting it on the server. I hope you all understand.

Again, I greatly appreciate all your guy's help!

Linux FTW! :D

EDIT: Well, I looked around, and found out that you
1)go to the directory of the package
2)type in ./configure

I did exactly that, but it is still not working. Maybe I am putting in the wrong directory? Because I have a flash drive which has the stuff on, and I don't know how to look for what drive letter it is. Am I doing this wrong?

I can understand why you might have taken the path you have there but I don't really think its the right one. PHLAK (Professional Hackers Linux) is really a distro designed for testing security and not acting as a server (although it can if configured correctly). Fedora or Ubuntu would IMHO be a better place to start. That is just my opinion though.

I'm afraid I don't run PHLAK so I'm not really in a position to offer much specific help. Generally speaking though you need to abandon some of the windows ways of doing things. The first is that there are no drive letters! In Linux EVERYTHING is a FILE. Instead of mapping drives you MOUNT a partition or device.

I'm due to go out now but if one of the two Linux gods has not called in and offered an explanation by the time I get back I'll be surprised. I'll check back later. Don't give up hope. You will get it running.

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Ok, thank-you very much!

I understand your concern for my choice of distro... but if it's a big difference, I can always go back to Ubuntu Server. It's not like i threw away the CD :p .

That is probably my main problem, because I'm thinking too much about drive letters. If you (or someone else) could help me in mounting my USB flash drive, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, I was under the impression that in using PHLAK, i could have created a more secure webserver/ftpserver. But maybe I was wrong.

Anyways, I guess if Ubuntu Server is a better alternative for a server, i can install it again, I just need to figure out how to install Xfce, Abyss, and PureFTPd.

Again thank-you all very much for your help in my problems!

:p

linux_0

Splendid
:-D

Some suggestions if I may:

Since the server is in-house install Gnome or KDE or both. No need for XFCE unless you want to play with it.

Apache is far more flexible than Abyss and is a breeze to install and configure.

There is absolutely no need to use FTP when you can use SSH and SFTP / SCP.

SSH provides remote access / login from any PC with an ssh client

SFTP provides secure, fast and encrypted file transfers and is cross platform ( openssh and friends run on almost anything ).

I would strongly recommend Ubuntu server or FC6.

If you have an AMD64 use x86_64

Ok, thank-you very much!

I understand your concern for my choice of distro... but if it's a big difference, I can always go back to Ubuntu Server. It's not like i threw away the CD :p .

That is probably my main problem, because I'm thinking too much about drive letters. If you (or someone else) could help me in mounting my USB flash drive, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, I was under the impression that in using PHLAK, i could have created a more secure webserver/ftpserver. But maybe I was wrong.

Anyways, I guess if Ubuntu Server is a better alternative for a server, i can install it again, I just need to figure out how to install Xfce, Abyss, and PureFTPd.

Again thank-you all very much for your help in my problems!

:p

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Since the server is in-house install Gnome or KDE or both. No need for XFCE unless you want to play with it.
Ok. How would I install two desktop enviroments? :eek: I probably don't need two, but which would you prefer of the two?
Also, my friend recommended fluxbox for a server...He said it's probably the most lightweight desktop enviroment out there. This would probably help a lot, since the server's specs really suck, lol.
Apache is far more flexible than Abyss and is a breeze to install and configure.
Hmm, well my friend who gave me Abyss said that it is one of the easiest to use, and it comes with a web control panel. But of course everyone has their own opinions.
I might give Abyss a try first since my friend payed for it. :p
There is absolutely no need to use FTP when you can use SSH and SFTP / SCP.

SSH provides remote access / login from any PC with an ssh client

SFTP provides secure, fast and encrypted file transfers and is cross platform ( openssh and friends run on almost anything ).
Sorry for mistaking, but when I said FTP, i did mean SFTP. But to be honest, I've never heard of SSH and SCP.
Maybe you could provide me with some of these packages to install onto my server? Thanks.

I also need some tips on how to mount my USB flash drive.

You guys are the best! :D

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I am the kind person that gave him Abyss Webserver (most recent paid version). It's really nice, I've used it before. Easy to configure and manage, good feature set too. I have nothing against Apache, it's just that I had this and I'm not using it so I gave it to him. Since he is doing this on a pretty old computer, he should use Ubuntu Server.

linux_0

Splendid
Most distros ask you what packages you want installed during the installation process so you would simply select Gnome and or KDE and the installer would take care of it for you :-D

You do not need 2 or more GUIs but you have the ability to install Gnome and KDE and XFCE if you want to.

You can also install them but only run them on demand so they do not take resources when you are not using them.

To use SSH / SFTP / SCP you just have to install openssh and openssh-server usually and install an SSH / SFTP client on your other computers all are free and open source.

http://filezilla.sf.net/ <<<<<<<<<<<<<< supports SFTP

http://cygwin.com <<<<<<<<< allows you to run openssh / scp / sftp on windows

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ <<<<< ssh / scp client

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_client

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SFTP_clients

Virtually all modern distros like FC6 and Ubuntu should automatically detect and mount your USB flash drive.

To mount it by hand:

[code:1:e6dbd08fdf]dmesg |grep sd[/code:1:e6dbd08fdf]

which should produce output like this:

SCSI device sdb: 1981440 512-byte hdwr sectors ( 1014MB )
sdb: Write Protect is off

then you can run:

[code:1:e6dbd08fdf]fdisk -l /dev/sdb[/code:1:e6dbd08fdf]

to see what partitions are on it

finally to mount it:

[code:1:e6dbd08fdf]
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
[/code:1:e6dbd08fdf]

linux_0

Splendid
He's busy with that computer right now, so I'll post them for him:
P3 800Mhz
128MB ram
20 gig harddrive

P3 800MHz :)

128MB ram :cry: :cry:

20 gig harddrive :)

It will work fine however I would strongly recommend upgrading the RAM to the max the machine will take if possible.

more RAM = more performance

I would leave the GUI off and install http://www.webmin.com/

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Ok, i was able to mount the drive. However, when I went to install fluxbox, the following happened:

I typed in the directory
I typed in "./configure"
I typed in "make"
Then it said command not found...but thats what the fluxbox documentation says to do....

EDIT: I found a different command called "depcomp", i typed "sudo ./depcomp --help", and it comes up with all these variables that i need to specify: depmode, source, object, DEPDIR, depfile, tempdepfile, and libtool...

depmode - Dependency tracking mode
source - Source file read by "PROGRAMS ARGS"
object - Object file output by "PROGRAM ARGS"
DEPDIR - directory where to store dependencies
depfile - Dependency file output
tmpdepfile - Temporary file to use when outputing dependencies
libtool - whether libtool is used (yes/no)

thats what it says.... ?_?

EDIT: When I actually do "sudo ./confugre", when it finishes, at the end it says:

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See 'config.log' for more details.

:O

linux_0

Splendid
Sounds like "make" is not installed

Make sure make, gcc, all the X libs and other prerequisites are installed.

Ok, i was able to mount the drive. However, when I went to install fluxbox, the following happened:

I typed in the directory
I typed in "./configure"
I typed in "make"
Then it said command not found...but thats what the fluxbox documentation says to do....

EDIT: I found a different command called "depcomp", i typed "sudo ./depcomp --help", and it comes up with all these variables that i need to specify: depmode, source, object, DEPDIR, depfile, tempdepfile, and libtool...

depmode - Dependency tracking mode
source - Source file read by "PROGRAMS ARGS"
object - Object file output by "PROGRAM ARGS"
DEPDIR - directory where to store dependencies
depfile - Dependency file output
tmpdepfile - Temporary file to use when outputing dependencies
libtool - whether libtool is used (yes/no)

thats what it says.... ?_?

EDIT: When I actually do "sudo ./confugre", when it finishes, at the end it says:

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See 'config.log' for more details.

:O

linux_0

Splendid
apt-get install make

apt-get install gcc

apt-get install $whatever_else_is_missing

However you should be able to do this:

apt-get install fluxbox

apt-get install xfce

I know fedora has fluxbox and xfce in its repos, I am not sure about whatever it is you are running.

My earlier recommendation stands however!

I would leave the GUI off and install http://www.webmin.com/

128MB of RAM is not very much at all

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Hmmm, I will look into Webmin.
What about Usermin and Virtualmin? Should I look into those also? Or are they not necessary?

Also, will Webmin and Abyss be able to work side-by-side?
And does it include SSH and SFTP?

Thank-you once again for all your help! :D

-------------------------

EDIT: I just found an SFTP program: vSFTPd. Do you think I should use this for an SFTP program?

EDIT: I was able to extract the tar files successfully, but now I am stuck at configuring them. Below are the error messages for Fluxbox and Abyss:

..:: FLUXBOX ::..
Error Message:

Checking for C compiler default output name... Configure error: C compiler cannot create executables.
See config.log for details.

..:: ABYSS ::..
Error message:

Error: No such file or directory (key: /root/console/bindip - file: /home/abyssws/abyssws/abyss.conf - line: 0 - col: 0)
Error: Cannot save the configuration file (key: /root/console/bindip - file: /home/abyssws/abyssws/abyss.conf - line: 0 - col: 0)
Critical: No such file or directory

linux_0

Splendid
Webmin does not include anything it simply provides a web interface to your Linux server.

You do NOT need vsftpd and vsftpd is not an SFTPD!

All you need is openssh / openssh-server which comes with ssh / scp / sftp.

Sorry, if you use Abyss you are on your own, you will have to find tools that can work with it.

Webmin supports apache out of the box.

I would advise against trying to build anything from source on your system, you have very little RAM and it would take for ever to compile anything, besides all the compile tools and libraries are missing on your system!

Find the package names and apt-get install instead or use .deb's if you have a debian distro.

linux_0

Splendid
It is best to:

[code:1:f9ac22f1d5]
apt-get install package_name
[/code:1:f9ac22f1d5]

if at all possible

If you are certain you have the correct dpkg / .deb for your distro you can try to do this:

[code:1:f9ac22f1d5]
dpkg -i package_name.deb
[/code:1:f9ac22f1d5]

Ok, i got the .deb for fluxbox, but what is the command to run these?