Linksys Wireless-G pci Network Adapter with SpeedBooster?!

DevilesEye1088

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hi all,
Okey ill start of that im a big noob with linux, hoping to get something out of this post. I have a Linksys Wireless-G pci Network Adapter with SpeedBooster and im trying to run that card on auditor, backtrack and whax. I have no idea if there are any drivers for that card or i would have to buy Senao Prism 2 card. I've searched on line for drivers for that wireless card and i had no luck finding it.
What i'm trying to use linux for is mainly for Internet Security, Kismet, and cracking WEP code. If anyone has maybe some realy cool links on how to do all that i would be very thankfull!

Thanks guys hopefully you can help me find this darn driver thanks again!

DevilesEye (DAN)

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Please try to get us a little more info, namely the chipset in the wireless card. You can either try checking the manufacturer's site (make note of the revision number), or more easily just boot a liveCD and check the output of the lspci command. Open a terminal, type in "lspci". If nothing comes up or it complains about something, try "sudo lspci".

Generally speaking, however, the speed-boost and pre-N linksys stuff has pretty crummy support as Linksys isn't releasing specs or drivers. Well-supported chipsets include the newer Intel wireless (Intel Pro Wireless 2100 and later), Atheros, RaLink, and Prism 1/1.5/2 (the grandaddy wireless card in Linux, many security tools are written to work with this chipset family)

DevilesEye1088

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
here is what i got!

00:0d.0 Network Controller: Bradcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce one 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Linksys: Unkown device 0042
Control:I/O- mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastBZB
Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDE- FastBZB- ParErr- DEVSEL= fast >TAbart- <MABart- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region: 0: Memory at da800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8k]

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
In order to get Monitor Mode functionality ("sniffing" capability), you need to install the bcm43xx kernel module. Do a search along the lines of "install distro choice bcm43xx". It looks like people using the latest Fedora and Ubuntu versions are having success installing this module.

DevilesEye1088

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
what about backtrack is there anyway i can make a partition for backtrack so i dont have to use the rom!~ Or is there anything else that i can use to crack encryption keys!

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
It appears as though Backtrack doesn't support that module in their latest liveCD release (they likely will in their next). An option is to just install one of the more installation-oriented (as opposed to a primarily liveCD-oriented) distros and (if needed) install the bcm43xx module and tools such as Wireshark, Kismet, and Aircrack-ng. Please make sure that you are not breaking any local laws by breaking onto a neighbor's (somewhat) secured network.

DevilesEye1088

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I take my precautions. I want to learn that to understand it and build my knowledge based on security. Yet i have no experience with Linux and many of my peers tell me i should start of with cracking encryptions... so if anyone knows what else can allow me to do all that!

thanks

DevilesEye (DAN)

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
What you can do is use a tool such as GParted LiveCD to safely resize the Windows partition on your disk to allow for a minimalist install for you to try this stuff out.

Even though many of the techniques you need to crack a WEP or WPA-PSK key are valuable to learn some of the lower-level network fundamentals (if you really understand what you're doing and not just reading a guide and accepting it at face value), all of the real security "magic" is hidden from you.

If anything, it teaches you that WEP is nothing more than a minor inconvenience for a moderately motivated and skilled user.