moondog777

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Hi: I was just woundering if it was possable to make a flash drive bootable? I have one but when I go to format it the" make disk bootable" is blacked out.
I'm trying to update my bios and I don't have a floppy installed in my machine. There has got to be an easy way to do this.... I hope.

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
yes but you stand a good chance in a few months of not booting - flash is not reliable for long term use
You are completely wrong. It's more likely that a solid state drive, like a hard drive will fail before a flash drive. Flash lasts much longer than an HDD.

2root3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
my $0.02

The problem is not the length of time data can be held for, its the amount of times you can read/write to the drive, usb sticks will only let you read/write about 100,000 times before they start to slow or crap out,

If you add up the amount of times an OS reads/rights temporary, driver, page and reg files, the stick won't last too long.

Knoppix linux is better for this as you can limit the page files to system RAM, and use as much RAM as possible without writing back to the usb.

To be honest I don't think are many statistics regarding this so give try it.

2root3