casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

Games won't launch/patch...

When I log on, it will only show the back ground, no icons load...so I have to log off and back on to get icons.

Just a lot of issues and I'm not sure why.

I have 2 partitions 40 gig's each, one I save everything on and don't format.

Any ideas?

Is there a program or way I can check the integrity of the hard drive?

It's an 80gig seagate barracuda

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
First thing to do is to run CHKDSK on the problematic drive:

Right-click "C" drive - Properties - Tools - Error Checking. Click both boxes - OK and restart. Program will take 35-55 minutes.

After you get the desktop back, go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Event Viewer - Application. Near the top, on the right side pane, look For Winlogon. Open it and scroll down to the 4th line - 3rd paragraph - the bad sector line. If it says you have bad spots, download your drive company's diagnostic and run it.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
First thing to do is to run CHKDSK on the problematic drive:

Right-click "C" drive - Properties - Tools - Error Checking. Click both boxes - OK and restart. Program will take 35-55 minutes.

After you get the desktop back, go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Event Viewer - Application. Near the top, on the right side pane, look For Winlogon. Open it and scroll down to the 4th line - 3rd paragraph - the bad sector line. If it says you have bad spots, download your drive company's diagnostic and run it.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
That's a good report.

Two things to consider:

Uninstall the games that are giving you trouble - then reboot and reinstall one at a time, using each one between installs. See if that helps.

Games are power intensive. What is your power supply? If your's isn't at least tier3 on this list - get one better.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Hmm, I'm not sure which one my PSU falls under.

It's a 500watt ultra v series.

Here are the specs

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
if it's also affecting the computer as a whole, and not just games (since you mentioned icons disappearing) windows could possibly be fubared.

do you have system restore turned on? can you rollback to when it was working properly?

have a image made up even? to save a couple hours of a reinstall

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
if it's also affecting the computer as a whole, and not just games (since you mentioned icons disappearing) windows could possibly be fubared.

do you have system restore turned on? can you rollback to when it was working properly?

have a image made up even? to save a couple hours of a reinstall

Well I had Win32/Parite virus, which infects every .exe.

About 1000 showed up so I just saved my music and pictures and those are on the other hard drive, and the problem drive is working fine now.