Maybe A temperature misreading on a new Asus P5B-E Mobo?

Drfefe2

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
So i just Put together a brand new computer with a Core 2 Duo E6400 and an Asus P5B-E Mobo. I turned it on for the first time and went into the Bios to monitor temperature. There I discovered the cpu temp was 85 degrees C. All fans are running correctly and the heatsink/fan was installed correctly. However I came accross this article in my research... http://www.techimo.com/forum/t178019.html

I went back and turned on my computer for about 1 Minute untill the temp hit 80. then I touched my heatsink and it felt about room temperature maybe a little cooler.

So my question is: Could this board have a screwy temperature gauge, Or is my Mobo overclocking my cpu right outta the box?

Thanks for any help you can contribute.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
reinstall heat sink and push the pins in diangular pattern this time or add thermal compound

the heat sink is not making contact with the chip or the contact is very small
80c that fast is bad contact

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
95% of the time it is not the temp sensor but bad application of the HS on the CPU. I have only seen once a bad sensor in 10 years and that was just deviating for about 10 degrees Celcius. Hence like the guy said earlier, resit the heatsink check for anomalies under it and i hope you remembered to remove any pad protections before you installed it... You DID, didn't you?!!!?