Does Linux have good photo and movie editing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashiplikethat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Im thinking of switching from XP to Linux as my dad tells me the Operating System is free and most of the software is to. I want to use it for photo and movie editing. Are there any freebies with linux that would be similar to Adobe PhotoShop and Adobe Premier?

Coming this April from Mr Shuttleworth and the nice Ubuntu folk just might be what you are looking for http://ubuntustudio.org/ This is going to be a new Media centric Ubuntu derivative for just the sort of thing you describe. I've not had a chance to read up on it much yet but it looks very interesting. Essentially a distribution focussed on media creation.

You could also want to take a look at dynebolic.org who are another media centric distribution which has had very good press. This one runs as a liveCD so you can try out the tools without having to install them.

dwaindibbley65

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I am just using Openshot in Ubuntu 11.10 to create a Christmas movie from some photo's and movies. It is really quite impressive for something free. Certainly fine for what I am doing

Status
Not open for further replies.