Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Does Linux have good photo and movie editing software

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 23, 2007 2:51:24 PM

Im thinking of switching from XP to Linux as my dad tells me the Operating System is free and most of the software is to. I want to use it for photo and movie editing. Are there any freebies with linux that would be similar to Adobe PhotoShop and Adobe Premier?
a b 5 Linux
January 23, 2007 8:47:16 PM

For the serious movie editor, there's Cinerella. Otherwise, for the more casual video editor, there's Kino.
a b 5 Linux
January 23, 2007 9:34:26 PM

Coming this April from Mr Shuttleworth and the nice Ubuntu folk just might be what you are looking for http://ubuntustudio.org/ This is going to be a new Media centric Ubuntu derivative for just the sort of thing you describe. I've not had a chance to read up on it much yet but it looks very interesting. Essentially a distribution focussed on media creation.

You could also want to take a look at dynebolic.org who are another media centric distribution which has had very good press. This one runs as a liveCD so you can try out the tools without having to install them.
Related resources
December 25, 2011 6:15:06 AM

I am just using Openshot in Ubuntu 11.10 to create a Christmas movie from some photo's and movies. It is really quite impressive for something free. Certainly fine for what I am doing
a b 5 Linux
December 25, 2011 7:47:13 AM

That's very nice, but realise this is from 2007.
!