Why Not Do Something Interesting with your Hot Dog Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Judging from some responses I get at times, there's plenty of pent-up energy going to waste in the forum. I understand that.

You spend your money, some of you a lot, like $2000 or more, and it sits there, occasionally doing something, but most of the time it runs under 20% even when you're playing a game. Maybe there's an occasional video encode that actually uses the hot-dog power you got.....

But it just isn't quite satisfying, in a way....

You end up spending time flaming some AMD upgrade post, like it's a football game or something.

Why not do something *fun*!

Look up "distributed computing" on the internet. Find out how you can actually put your expensive powerful system to work doing something cool! (It's still available for your full power use also, on demand).

Shoot, if that is too boring even, why not build a little version of a super-computer?

Seriously.

Model a nuclear explosion or run a global climate change scenario. Tell us how many hours at full speed it takes your computer to do something....Interesting

Here's a list of projects, if you like to choose what you'd work on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=188&sid=d1cd41d066e6bbdbd9fd838e1865db79&fex=Distributed-Computing

thanks TC

Also, the Wiki article you get by google on "distributed computing" is an overview, for those who want a big picture.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I know many of us regulars here at Tom's run Folding @ Home while browsing the forums.

I know I run it all the time that I am on my PC and not playing BF2/Oblivion. I can keep it running during CSS/WoW and other non system taxing games.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I know many of us regulars here at Tom's run Folding @ Home while browsing the forums.

I know I run it all the time that I am on my PC and not playing BF2/Oblivion. I can keep it running during CSS/WoW and other non system taxing games.

That's good info.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
HOT-DOG-005.jpg

Say what?

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I run F@H 24/7 on two PCs, it makes me feel a lot less guilty about never turning them off and spending way too much money on them xD Also, they keep my room warm at night in the winter. I just need to find some more DDR ram to get my old Northwood system up and folding, that should keep me quite toasty :)

On my dual core system I just one run thread for folding set to only use 99% of max CPU (so it runs at 50% most of the time and 40-50% while I'm doing other stuff), so it never causes any problems with available CPU power. Sometimes I turn in off to free up some RAM, memory bandwidth, or IO bandwidth but it rarely gets in the way at all.

Distributed computing is good for you!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Went well. Who is your bro? To sum it up and save a threadjack, I won in shortened fight that went to decision due to a cut above his eye and a rule violation. Better story in my wood case thread, I don't feel bad about hijacking my own threads :p

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Judging from some responses I get at times, there's plenty of pent-up energy going to waste in the forum. I understand that.

You spend your money, some of you a lot, like $2000 or more, and it sits there, occasionally doing something, but most of the time it runs under 20% even when you're playing a game. Maybe there's an occasional video encode that actually uses the hot-dog power you got.....

But it just isn't quite satisfying, in a way....

You end up spending time flaming some AMD upgrade post, like it's a football game or something.

Why not do something *fun*!

Look up "distributed computing" on the internet. Find out how you can actually put your expensive powerful system to work doing something cool! (It's still available for your full power use also, on demand).

Shoot, if that is too boring even, why not build a little version of a super-computer?

Seriously.

Model a nuclear explosion or run a global climate change scenario. Tell us how many hours at full speed it takes your computer to do something....Interesting

Gladly!!!!!

And I can expect the check from you or the sites you posted compensating me for the use of my $1500 system when?

Status
Not open for further replies.