My Limit With Stock Cooling

Raddon

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
hey dudes

I am wondering what speeds i can Clock my CPU to with the Stock cooling i have...

I have teh
GIGABYTE 965P-DS3P(Rev 3.3)
And C2D E6420
Using the Raidmax Ninja Case with 3 fans and stock cooling on the CPU

Currently Running at 2.13 o_O as you all probably know
I heard someone got theres up to 3.2GHz with stock cooling? If this is true what procedure do i take to do this

Is EasyTune5 a decent Programme, Will mostly want to OC for games,

My CPU is 35c idle

Cheers
Radd

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
They could have, but it was probably the Grinch in his ice lair with sub 0 ambient.

It's not impossible but it is unlikely, definitely get an after market HS if your after those speeds.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Where did you get the E6420 at? Didn't know they came out. I'm assuming you meant E6400.

I never used stock cooling on my E6400 but I did on a different build I built for someone. And on stock cooling it would do dual prime all night. It was at 3.2ghz and 1.412volts. The temp was around 80c though. Much to hot. When I sold it I put it at 3ghz at 1.35v. The temps where around 74 max. And there hasn't been a complaint yet. So I would say 3.2ghz on stock might be to much. If your going to go with stock cooling expect 3 ghz.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Where did you get the E6420 at? Didn't know they came out. I'm assuming you meant E6400.

Get back in the Shed Grandpa!!!!!!!!! E6420's been out for a bit now. E6400 with 4mb of L2 as far as I'm aware.

Yeah so it is possible to get to that sort of speed but the safe limit for Tjunction is 75c so your really pushing it with 74 (I'm assuming that's tjunction temp you listed).

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006

Get back in the Shed Grandpa!!!!!!!!! E6420's been out for a bit now. E6400 with 4mb of L2 as far as I'm aware.

Yeah so it is possible to get to that sort of speed but the safe limit for Tjunction is 75c so your really pushing it with 74 (I'm assuming that's tjunction temp you listed).

LMAO. I went to newegg but I can't find any E6420.

The Tjunction is 85C.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
1) it depends on your ambient temps, what volts you'll be using, how good your airflow actually is, and how high you're willing to go with your temps before you get scared and back off on your OC

2) do NOT use EasyTune to OC. E-V-E-R. Don't even bother installing it. Garbage.

3) Pass on a few pizzas next month and use that money for an aftermarket heatsink. Seriously. Why spend so much money on a new rig, only to cheap out for $50? That's NOTHING on the total price of your build, yet it's most critical for a high OC. Don't cheap out, it's foolishness.

4) Don't expect huge framerate jumps because of an OC on your CPU. Won't happen. You'll see *some* increase, but nothing to brag about. Besides, what framerates will you be getting anyways? Do you want to boost them from 95 up to 120? Or 200 to 224? Don't bother. The human eye can't detect such changes, it's just for bragging rights.

So you'll go to all this trouble and effort to OC your CPU, put it in jeopardy because you don't have an aftermarket HSF, let it get hot, possibly run into problems.........just so you can get a few framerates higher in your games, when you won't even notice the framerate to begin with?

Now, you tell us: is that worth it all?

I thought not.

Get a heatsink or don't bother. It's not worth the risk you're describing. But it's your money and CPU to burn though :)

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
LMAO. I went to newegg but I can't find any E6420.

The Tjunction is 85C.

The internet doesn't cease to exist once you go past newegg my friend. Look elsewhere they're all over the place.

85c is a pretty fkn high, you should definitely consider an aftermarket HS.

If you do your o/c'ing from anywhere other than from in your BIOS you will get miniature warts growing on your face that spit puss and when you talk to people your warts will spit puss on them then no one will want to see you and you'll get lonely and die.
Don't use easy tune.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I think your thinking of Tcase (external temp) which is 61. Tjunction (internal temp) is 85C for C2D.

Heres a good example:
coretemp.png

See where it sais Tjunction? Thats the max temp. It's when the thermal monitor starts kicking in.

I never said I used easytune.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I think your thinking of Tcase (external temp) which is 61. Tjunction (internal temp) is 85C for C2D.

Heres a good example:
coretemp.png

Well I must say, that's definetely a very impressive black rectangle. EDIT: My bad, my proxy here at work blocked the picture and a section of the failure page was showing.

Intel says 85c (tjunction) for the MAX limit before the world will explode, have a look at Wusy's C2D O/C guide and the recommended safe maximum is 75c. Your welcome to leave it at 85c and tell us what happened in 3 months when your posting off your old P3.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I also never said that I had it at 85C. I said that was the max temp that can be allowed. I wouldn't run a cpu that close to the Tjunction. My E6400 at 3.2ghz maxes out at 64C with TT Big Typhoon. The other E6400 @3ghz on stock max's at 74 which is still safe.