Sign in with
Your question

Vista and Remote desktop

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 24, 2007 3:10:15 AM

I use remote desktop from work to my home machine on XP pro, but when my wife is using my home machine and i connect it boots her off as I establish a connection.

what I would like to know is if vista has that same drawback. If I can use remote desktop virtually while she is using it as well. 200 & 2003 server support something similar and am hoping it is available in vista.

Does anybody know?

More about : vista remote desktop

January 24, 2007 11:38:09 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe you are looking for something more like Terminal Server. I used Remote Desktop when it was first became available and found that it allowed a single Active user (not logged in user), so the remote user becomes active and the desktop user goes into locked mode. I haven't read anything that said this has changed.
m
l
January 24, 2007 3:52:44 PM

your right what I'm looking for is terminal server.
But with support for multiple console connections...
Using 2003 server is good where I can have a remote connection and a console connection simultaneously but to have another console user the previous console connection must log out.
I was hoping that they fixed that in Vista,
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2007 7:07:20 PM

No, I am positive that Remote Desktop only allows one session at a time in Vista.

Quote:
I use remote desktop from work to my home machine on XP pro, but when my wife is using my home machine and i connect it boots her off as I establish a connection.

what I would like to know is if vista has that same drawback. If I can use remote desktop virtually while she is using it as well. 200 & 2003 server support something similar and am hoping it is available in vista.

Does anybody know?
m
l
January 24, 2007 7:33:20 PM

thanks for the news...
m
l
January 31, 2007 11:34:32 AM

Windows XP had the same issue, but there was a hack that allowed multiple login session. You copied the old termserv.dll from a beta copy of XP.

I wonder if there is a way to do something similar with Vista.
m
l
February 1, 2007 3:19:43 AM

Thanks for that info on XP...
Found the hack here in case any one else is interested...
Concurrent Remote Desktop Sessions in Windows XP SP2
I applied it and it works... now to hope that something like that will work in Vista... but i doubt MS will make that mistake twice.
m
l
February 2, 2007 4:48:29 PM

Good information, I am going to try out that hack. Should do wonders for me.

Which version of Vista allows Remote Desktops anyway? Vista Home Premium sure is cheaper then Ultimate.
m
l
!