Sign in with
Your question

This is why AMD chose Tunisia.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 23, 2007 3:07:02 AM

I thought you all could put it together.
AMD64 Is The Force Behind Star Wars: Episode III “Revenge Of The Sith”
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_7595~8915...

Guess where episode III was filmed
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/
Quote:

Filming Locations:
Chott el Djerid, Nefta, Tunisia

Gawd...

More about : amd chose tunisia

April 23, 2007 3:10:50 AM

Why is AMD's marketing weird like that I wonder?
April 23, 2007 3:10:52 AM

Are you suggesting that AMD is the Sith?
Related resources
April 23, 2007 3:11:15 AM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that AMD is the Sith?

Not at all, I'm just answering the question that has dumbfounded everyone so far.
April 23, 2007 3:23:05 AM

Quote:
WOW, unbelievable.... Baron was right!!!! But, I don't see where they stated specifically the location to have the demo for that reason.

They didn't. It's just the same scheme they used to name their 65nm barcelona and other cpus. They were formula 1 racetracks and the cars were powered by amd opterons. It's the same way AMD chooses things all the time. One is a press release,
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_7595~8795...
the other is a location based on what the press release deals with.
April 23, 2007 3:27:56 AM

amd choose tunasia with a dart and a blindfold
April 23, 2007 3:31:15 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

Though, I am not sure how much AMD wants to associate the image of the three Star Wars prequel's to their processor.... the movies kinda sucked.

Every nerd on this forum who liked that movie is going to want a piece of you. I never saw it, and I don't feel religiously about movies though.
April 23, 2007 3:34:19 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

Though, I am not sure how much AMD wants to associate the image of the three Star Wars prequel's to their processor.... the movies kinda sucked.

Every nerd on this forum who liked that movie is going to want a piece of you. I never saw it, and I don't feel religiously about movies though.

Don't worry --- every movie nerd who is a true Star Wars fan looks at the prequels as something they wish did not happen.
Oh I wasn't worried, I was just going to kill me a nerd and eat him for dinner.
April 23, 2007 3:39:45 AM

Thanks for the post Rand, I guess somewhat makes sense? umm whatever, I never really thought much os Star Wars, I was more into Bruce Lee movies and Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer :D 
April 23, 2007 3:42:05 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

My little nephews made me watch all of the prequels and I guess the special effects are fun to watch. Of course Natalie Portman is fun to watch too :D 
April 23, 2007 3:44:22 AM

Yea, I think she just "came out" of the closet ;)  Gotta love that.....:D 

Well, Tunisia and Star Wars, eh? This is divergent thinking at its finest!
April 23, 2007 3:47:19 AM

Quote:
Yea, I think she just "came out" of the closet ;)  Gotta love that.....:D 

Well, Tunisia and Star Wars, eh? This is divergent thinking at its finest!

Right and the idea behind Barcelona was speed and efficiency(or something to that effect, I haven't really figured this one out, because I don't care enough about it.), related to helping Ferrari, and the idea behind this is rendering a movie, and AMD is showing off video cards.
April 23, 2007 3:48:01 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

Don't worry --- every movie nerd who is a true Star Wars fan looks at the prequels as something they wish did not happen.

As a Star Wars fan, I much prefered Mel Brooks' "Spaceballs" to the three prequels that came out.
April 23, 2007 3:48:50 AM

:roll: it's official amd management=doctor evil... not really evil, just crazy in a kinda lame humorous way.
April 23, 2007 3:53:01 AM

LOL, go RAND!! :) 

Let's seee.......Barcelona......the Olympics were held there, track and field in the Olympics.....100m dash.....world records......human SPEED....humans want fast CPUs.....Barcelona!

there ya go!! :D 
April 23, 2007 3:56:27 AM

Quote:
LOL, go RAND!! :) 

Let's seee.......Barcelona......the Olympics were held there, track and field in the Olympics.....100m dash.....world records......human SPEED....humans want fast CPUs.....Barcelona!

there ya go!! :D 

No did you read my post before? Barcelona has a Formula 1 track, and AMD Opteron sponsors Ferrari.
April 23, 2007 3:58:06 AM

Oh. I thought that was a theory, not a fact. My mistake.

Well then, that's actually quite amusing. At least they're consitent in their....strange....marketing associations?
April 23, 2007 4:08:05 AM

SO much potential and such a dissapointment, honestly how could they sit around an decide Jar Jar binks was a good idea for a character.

Natalie Portman like girls ? Salma hayeck is getting married and is pregenant ? my life really is going down the toilet these days.
April 23, 2007 4:11:16 AM

Quote:
SO much potential and such a dissapointment, honestly how could they sit around an decide Jar Jar binks was a good idea for a character.

Simple, after a couple cases of cheap beer, anything probably seemed like a good idea.
April 23, 2007 4:17:54 AM

LOL yeah that never ends badly.
April 23, 2007 4:18:16 AM

Quote:
:roll: it's official amd management=doctor evil... not really evil, just crazy in a kinda lame humorous way.

Yeah, I can SO picture that.

{Doctor Evils voice...}

Board room full of press...
"Welcome to my underground lair...."

STAGE LEFT: Camera 2 [Lions with lazers on their heads chase down Inq reporters]

"It has been brought to my attention nVidia has taken all of our customers. After purchasing a company I call ""ATI"" from a secret location in ""CANADA"", I came up with a brilliant plan."

"We are introducing a trojan horse product called ""R600"". Millions of ""R600s"" worldwide will draw BILLIONS of watts of POW - WER. This much POW - WER will cause blackouts and evenutally lead to ""global warming"". When those customers demand their money back, we will do it - but only at a ........ hefty ransom."

"Muwahahahahha......muwahahahah......muwahhahahaha......ha....ha.....ahem"
April 23, 2007 4:38:06 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

My little nephews made me watch all of the prequels and I guess the special effects are fun to watch. Of course Natalie Portman is fun to watch too :D 

no she's HOT. i'm talking about natalie. not AMD
April 23, 2007 4:38:12 AM

Carthage is where Hannibal led his army from that nearly conquered Rome.

Note the parallels.
April 23, 2007 4:41:31 AM

lower the globe.... :twisted:
April 23, 2007 4:52:26 AM

Quote:

release the meteor.... :twisted:
April 23, 2007 4:54:20 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

In two sentences you sum up the major two positives, but those of us who were kids, watching for the first time, Obi-Wan voicing "the force will be with your always"... or Darth Vader say "I am your father...." were hoping they would recapture the magic.... alas, they did not.

Cmon now, how many times can they use those lines?

To bad they cast Hayden got-no-tonal-inflectionson. A better actor as Ani would have gone a long way to improving the movie. Sad really, they had so many outstanding and well cast actors in the support roles.
April 23, 2007 5:38:46 AM

Quote:

release the meteor.... :twisted:ahhh no way no way... :twisted:
April 23, 2007 6:32:40 AM

Quote:

release the meteor.... :twisted:ahhh no way no way... :twisted:

:twisted: :twisted:

that is all.
April 23, 2007 6:44:16 AM

The only comment that really needs to be made about the writing is this from Episode 3...

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" - Darth Vader
April 23, 2007 8:54:31 AM

Quote:
I see... makes sense.

The movie sucked because Lucas Films did not use Intel Xeon Processors for the CGIs ?!?! man you are the biggest Intel fanboy of all the fanboys out there, but the difference is you just acting maturely about things.

I have not yet see 1 positive thing you said about the new up-coming AMD K10 arc, and praise the lord were you quick to mention anything that Intel announces.

Everyone is right about we need to see figures from AMD, real time benchmark, but not showing a valid benchmark until Launch day is no way of any of our concern, its AMD's decision, its their business. But this does not mean they have a suck ass product in their pocket.

Its like the Americans tell the Russians that their Nukes are better, the Russians are saying their nukes are better. But believe both would have some knock-out weapons that are not showing.

The time is crucial for AMD, if they release their product specs too soon, and details revealed to Intel or Competitors, they could see their time in leading the market shortened.

If the performance percentage has been confirmed, and Intel would know that Penry or any upcoming products will have to be a certain percentage faster than existing or the K10, which gives them an idea to work on things a few months before they get hold of these data, and that a few months to AMD right now is like enormous, they can't seem to be afford to loose that.

On the other hand when Intel launched Core 2 or ready to Launch, the pre-launch benchmarks showing significant improvement over K8, it was a signal that they have re-gained the lead, and because they have not being the best for the last 2 years over K8... If they have not pre-benched the Core 2s, AMD today would still doing testing and development on the K10 ?!?!

But credit for both companies doing what is right for them, and no one should be in a position to critise nither, because if you think you a making a better processor than both? be my guest and knock yourself out.

Other wise give it a break, your not a pro analyst and your not on the top Intel Payroll
April 23, 2007 11:05:10 AM

8O woah woah woah .. i think youd need to calm down here lolz, jack in these forums is one of the most informed and respectable persons with a large knowledge base.

i think you took him out of contex lol. he meant , theres no noticeable connection between amd and tunisia ( of how ever u spell it ). true, he may need more than those 5 cups of coffee capt.aprilroberts may have given him ( while he was at the intel campus) but theres no reason to totally call him a fanboy. believe me when i say jack is no where near a fanboy.

please do not judge people based on one statement that they mightve written inappropriately.

i also agree with benchies, but we pray to much here already.

* i want my milk and cookies *

^ ^

that is all .
April 23, 2007 1:16:56 PM

I have read enough of Jack's posts across the forum and every time there is a slight possitive about AMD's new release, Jack would be the first one to shoot it down. setting the example of other Intel Fanboys which always flames Baron.

Ok Baron may not be the best poster, but he supports AMD, its like supporting a sports club, im sure you americans supports your local or which ever American Football team or baseball team or basket ball team like crazy. Same feelings can be had towards other things like Baron, except Baron is expressing it more directly, where Jack is expressing it indirectly towards Intel and constantly picking on Baron which is useless. The guy hasnt stopped posting after taking all the BS from the Intel Boys so whats point? if he post a stinker, let him be, just dont reply to that post.

Only way to prove the balance on this forum for some "respectable" person is to look at comments they post when AMD releases K10.

If its crap then we wud expect the forum stay where it is, if it does backing up what they said it wud, then it wud be very interesting to see what Jack and his fellow Intel gang says.

Regards
April 23, 2007 1:53:44 PM

Quote:
if he post a stinker, let him be, just dont reply to that post.

And that's why I'm not replying to your post. :evil: 
April 23, 2007 2:15:05 PM

yeah he mentioned that earlier. I mean why else would you pick Tunisia? For the sunny weather?
April 23, 2007 2:27:01 PM

well I thought all the star wars films sucked!
*runs away and hides*
April 23, 2007 2:31:09 PM

(Msg. 38) Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:53 am
Post subject: Re: This is why AMD chose Tunisia. [in reply to: Pete4r]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete4r wrote:

And that's why I'm not replying to your post.
SPOILERS: Jessica & Niki have a 3some with Hiro, Peter marries Claire in Arkansas, Mohinder opens a 7/11, Sylar is named US Sec. of State, some nerd named Clark Kent shows up, and Mr. Muggles blows up NYC!

Funny
April 23, 2007 2:38:52 PM

Quote:
(Msg. 38) Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:53 am
Post subject: Re: This is why AMD chose Tunisia. [in reply to: Pete4r]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete4r wrote:

And that's why I'm not replying to your post.
SPOILERS: Jessica & Niki have a 3some with Hiro, Peter marries Claire in Arkansas, Mohinder opens a 7/11, Sylar is named US Sec. of State, some nerd named Clark Kent shows up, and Mr. Muggles blows up NYC!

Funny

Friendly suggestions which will make your THG forum experience more rewarding and pleasant:

1) Learn how to format your quotes.

2) Don't diss Jack.

Thank you.
April 23, 2007 2:49:52 PM

Sorry not to be rude, but i think i may better off live without your "friendly" useless advice. You can be your "monkey see, monkey do" and "you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" with Jack all you want, its not my business if you 2 get married in the future and have kids but that just you.

So i dont think you should offer people suggestions before they are asking for advice, especially on something like "THG Forum".

I dont see Jack on the USA presidents list nor any other respectable or recognisable organisations. Its like saying "Im the chav king of my neighbour hood gang, so dont F@$k with me" to a 3 year old kid.

And jesus, you can surely quote in a beautiful format with all the free time you got and you surely making millions of $$$$$$$$$ by making your post and quote looking so beautifully.

Life is far more complicated and adventures than posting on THG forum and get real Mr. guy with the fudman avartar. it really represent your age and should I ask what education have you received?
April 23, 2007 2:54:38 PM

Ever seen the Simpsons episode in which Homer discovers Uruguay?
THATS the reason... :roll:
April 23, 2007 2:54:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry not to be rude, but i think i may better off live without your "friendly" useless advice. You can be your "monkey see, monkey do" and "you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" with Jack all you want, its not my business if you 2 get married in the future and have kids but that just you.

So i dont think you should offer people suggestions before they are asking for advice, especially on something like "THG Forum".

I dont see Jack on the USA presidents list nor any other respectable or recognisable organisations. Its like saying "Im the chav king of my neighbour hood gang, so dont F@$k with me" to a 3 year old kid.

And jesus, you can surely quote in a beautiful format with all the free time you got and you surely making millions of $$$$$$$$$ by making your post and quote looking so beautifully.

Life is far more complicated and adventures than posting on THG forum and get real Mr. guy with the superman avartar.

I think you're wasting your breath. Hey I just realized something. I make great posts when people aren't inciting me to riot.
April 23, 2007 3:03:13 PM

Quote:

Life is far more complicated and adventures than posting on THG forum and get real Mr. guy with the superman avartar.

Dear Pete4r:

Since it is obvious by your false bravado attitude compounded by your appalling grammar and spelling that you are some zitfaced 13 year old wanking off in his parents' basement, I shall spare you the full wrath of the Captain. Restraint is usually called for in dealing with juvenile delinquents. However, I would give you some more "friendly" advice. Before challenging people like Jack who know more than you will ever learn in a thousand lifetimes, it's a really good idea to pull your cranium out of your anus.

Sincerely,

Captain Robert April.
April 23, 2007 3:09:58 PM

Everyone is dissing on Pete4r and no one even thought to mention how he's an idiot for misunderstanding what Jack said anyways?

Jack said that AMD shouldn't wish to associate themselves with the Star Wars movies because they all sucked.

He did not say they sucked because of AMD.

That's why the kid's an idiot, in my opinion.
April 23, 2007 3:14:50 PM

Quote:
Everyone is dissing on Pete4r and no one even thought to mention how he's an idiot for misunderstanding what Jack said anyways?

Jack said that AMD shouldn't wish to associate themselves with the Star Wars movies because they all sucked.

He did not say they sucked because of AMD.

That's why the kid's an idiot, in my opinion.

Man I thought noone was going to point this out.
I almost did it myself, but then didn't.
I am glad someone else did it though.

On a sidenote, just think how much more the movies would have sucked if they were done with Intel processors instead of AMD ones.
8O
April 23, 2007 3:15:34 PM

Quote:

Dear Pete4r:

Since it is obvious by your false bravado attitude compounded by your appalling grammar and spelling that you are some zitfaced 13 year old wanking off in his parents' basement, I shall spare you the full wrath of the Captain. Restraint is usually called for in dealing with juvenile delinquents. However, I would give you some more "friendly" advice. Before challenging people like Jack who know more than you will ever learn in a thousand lifetimes, it's a really good idea to pull your cranium out of your anus.

Sincerely,

Captain Robert April.

Ah, jesus, how much does Jack pay you to lick his ass? Seriously, 1000 lifetime is a lot can certainly impressive, Jack may as well challenge Albert Einstein according to you.

Jack knows so much and so important to humanity, what the heck is he spending most of his time on a place like THG where amatures like you with no knowledge offering useless "friendly sugguestions" just because u have about 2000 posts under your belt?

Maybe this is the only place he can be praised by guys like you because it has a low standard?

Each person has their own special knowledge, thats why there are so many different sectors, i.e. cars, computers, engineers, people that sending shuttles into space.

How much does Jack know putting a human on the moon? or building a space shuttle?

How much does Jack know building a super car that is faster than a Bugatti?

How much does Jack know creating AMD K11 Arc (if it ever comes)

How much does Jack know running the US of A?

How much does Jack know Aero Dynamic and make something beyond F-22 and F-35?

How much does Jack know putting 1000+ BHP into a 2.4 Litre V8 F1 engine?

How much does Jack know how to make a Million in 1 day by buy & sell stock at Wall Street?

How much does Jack know on ERP and MRP?

How much does Jack know on handling a F-16 with a 6G+ turn?

How much does Jack know hunting down Osama Bin Laden?

No Disrespect to Jack, but it really is your fault to over rate him that much higher. Jack knows a lot, IT wise and at certain area.

What do you know ?!?!
April 23, 2007 3:21:51 PM

Peter, let's not make this discussion about Jack...
The problem here is that you misunderstood Jack's post.

He didn't say anything bad about AMD, just about starwars.
Now apologise like a real grown person, for misunderstanding him, and getting angry.
April 23, 2007 3:33:27 PM

Quote:

Ah, jesus, how much does Jack pay you to lick his ass? Seriously, 1000 lifetime is a lot can certainly impressive, Jack may as well challenge Albert Einstein according to you.

Jack knows so much and so important to humanity, what the heck is he spending most of his time on a place like THG where amatures like you with no knowledge offering useless "friendly sugguestions" just because u have about 2000 posts under your belt?

Maybe this is the only place he can be praised by guys like you because it has a low standard?

Each person has their own special knowledge, thats why there are so many different sectors, i.e. cars, computers, engineers, people that sending shuttles into space.

How much does Jack know putting a human on the moon? or building a space shuttle?

How much does Jack know building a super car that is faster than a Bugatti?

How much does Jack know creating AMD K11 Arc (if it ever comes)

How much does Jack know running the US of A?

How much does Jack know Aero Dynamic and make something beyond F-22 and F-35?

How much does Jack know putting 1000+ BHP into a 2.4 Litre V8 F1 engine?

How much does Jack know how to make a Million in 1 day by buy & sell stock at Wall Street?

How much does Jack know on ERP and MRP?

How much does Jack know on handling a F-16 with a 6G+ turn?

How much does Jack know hunting down Osama Bin Laden?

No Disrespect to Jack, but it really is your fault to over rate him that much higher. Jack knows a lot, IT wise and at certain area.

What do you know ?!?!

"Jesus" should be capitalized.
"lifetime" should be plural.
"is a lot can certainly impressive" is incomprehensible.
"knows so much and so important to humanity" is equally incomprehensible.
"what the heck" should be "why the heck".
"amatures" is misspelled.
"sugguestions" is misspelled.
"u" is not a word in the English language.

And that's just in your first three sentences.

I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed wanker. Or should I say a one-armed wanker?

Go back to chasing prepubescent cheerleaders for their Clearasil. And somewhere along the way, learn respect for the people who have earned it.

:twisted:
April 23, 2007 3:37:07 PM

my initial post raised not based on Jack's post in this topic, but based on Jack's posts across the CPU with every topics involving AMD or Intel just lately.

Was all a peaceful forum until C2D took the performance crown back, there are people that are optimistic about up coming K10, but led by Jack and fellow Intel Die Hards, they get shot dead by posting as simple as a Small News.

You get people like Fudman replying to a simple post like

Poster:" AMD Barcelona start at 2.5GHz"
Funman the like:" They are still crap, buy Intel"

or "Penry will frag it"

I mean whats the point? there is no room for discussion, straight away the topic turns into flamewars.

Same goes to those AMD die hards when everyone was excited about C2D before release.
April 23, 2007 3:45:04 PM

Quote:
my initial post raised not based on Jack's post in this topic, but based on Jack's posts across the CPU with every topics involving AMD or Intel just lately.

Was all a peaceful forum until C2D took the performance crown back, there are people that are optimistic about up coming K10, but led by Jack and fellow Intel Die Hards, they get shot dead by posting as simple as a Small News.

You get people like Fudman replying to a simple post like

Poster:" AMD Barcelona start at 2.5GHz"
Funman the like:" They are still crap, buy Intel"

or "Penry will frag it"

I mean whats the point? there is no room for discussion, straight away the topic turns into flamewars.

Same goes to those AMD die hards when everyone was excited about C2D before release.

Maybe you shouldn't have picked this place and time to rant about his attitude regarding amd/intel then.
That post made it appear as if you understood nothing of Jacks post.

And I am afraid your posts after that didn't improve anything.
!