Sign in with
Your question

Need help partitionning for Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 24, 2007 1:24:27 PM

Hi everyone, i kinda need help with this ...

I'm trying to install Windows Vista on my computer, i would like to do some benchmark and stuff, XP vs Vista and i also want to see if Vista runs smoothly on my computer. anyways

I already have an existing partition on my computer for windows XP and all the other programs, I tried to create a partition with Partition magic for Vista,

i have like 85 GB left

When i try to create a partition, it tells me that it found out a bad sector on my hard drive and it is not able to create the new partition.

I ran a chkdsk /f and it didnt find a single error, i don't even have problem with my hard drive. :x

Is there anything i can do to create the partition without formatting everything ?

thanks in advance

More about : partitionning vista

January 24, 2007 1:31:47 PM

Chkdsk /f doesn't look at empty free space I believe.

Boot into your Windows XP disk and get into the recovery console and try "Chkdsk /r".

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chkdsk
January 24, 2007 1:34:31 PM

oh ok, ill try that during the night, thanks :wink:
Related resources
January 24, 2007 7:04:20 PM

What version of Vista are you installing? If you are installing Ultimate or Enterprise onto a laptop, you might want to create a 1.5 GB (1536 MB) partition for Bitlocker... Check out the guides on the MS website.
January 25, 2007 1:35:34 PM

First of all im not installing into a laptop, second of all, i'm not even at the installation yet because i cant do the partition with Partition magic
February 2, 2007 8:54:03 PM

i did a full checkdisk with everything and it still doesnt work :S it says i have a bad block on my HDD when i try to create another partition :cry: 
February 3, 2007 4:07:45 PM

Sounds like you have a hardrive that has not marked a bad sector properly.

There is a great program, that will fix it called Spinrite. I have used it to fix problems like the one you are describing.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

There may be others out there but you need to get a program that will mark that sector as unusable before you can format a new partition.

If you can image your existing partition with ghost and do another full format it will fix it too then you can restore the original image.
!