Help!!!! New home build - Which "version"

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
of XP or Vista

will i need to buy?

(I'm in the UK)

What the hell is the EOM version?

I prefer to go to XP initially because Vista will be a mess for a good while yet and will have security,glitch and gaming issues IMO.

But, dependant on cost, i might just have to go with Vista straight away, rather then spending a lot more in six months?

What are my options?

Thanks.

HERE IS THE SYSTEM I'M BUILDING AND USES OF IT.

It's a gaming rig first and foremost, one with plenty of upgrade paths, also the internet.

Core2Duo 6300
2 GIG Corsair XMS2 RAM
Sapphire 1950PRO Ultimate edition.
Xclio 750W Quad 12V rails - MODULAR.
Asus P5N - E 650i Mobo.
Seagate 320GIG SATA 2 HD

Solution
I'll stand by my original recommendation of XP Home. Unless you plan on using IIS or Dual Processors (note: I said Dual Processors...not dual-core) you don't need to XP Pro.

Vista will be out for a LONG while....no need to rush into things. And if you want to play with Vista you can always do a Dual-boot scenario as well.

Zyxthior

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
My opinion without knowing anything at all about your system and what you plan to use it for:

XP Home OEM

Why?
1. Its the least expensive of your options.
2. Vista is new and untested by the general public. Software and driver support is still in its infancy..
3. Why XP Home and not XP Pro: Since you never said what you wanted to use the PC for, chances are you'll never use the advanced features that XP Pro offers.
4. OEM vs. Retail: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Its identical to the retail version except you can only install it on a single PC. If you buy a new PC, or upgrade the motherboard, you'd have to buy a new license. I'm assuming you don't upgrade often...so by the time you'd want to upgrade again you'd probably want a new OS anyway.

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Thanks, i've altered my original post to give you an idea of my system and needs.

The mobo wopn't be upgraded any time in the forseeable future, i think i only really need Vista for when i can afford or want a DX10 card, i can't see that being within the next 6 months at the earliest

Zyxthior

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I'll stand by my original recommendation of XP Home. Unless you plan on using IIS or Dual Processors (note: I said Dual Processors...not dual-core) you don't need to XP Pro.

Vista will be out for a LONG while....no need to rush into things. And if you want to play with Vista you can always do a Dual-boot scenario as well.

Solution