overclocking mobo for E6600

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Hey guys I'm looking at a new build and was wondering where to start with a motherboard for an E6600 I will be overclocking it a bit on air only (for now anyway).

Was thinking an ASUS model of some description but am a bit unsure of there overclocking abilities was all, Also I would prefer an SLI model for a future upgrade option.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
If you absolutely want sli then any 680i board will do for a moderate overclock.
If you want stability and a great overclock without having to fork out the bucks for SLI and that 850+ watt power supply then the Comando or P5B deluxe will serve you well .
the money saved can get you a nice 8800GTX and sli IMO is not needed or even noticable unless your benching
there are many 965 boards out there that really shine and ASUS is just one of them.
I just prefer ASUS :wink:

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
SLI is a proprietary Nvidia technology, so in order to run SLI then you need an SLI motherboard. TAKE NOTE: Having 2 pci-e slots (like a P5B deluxe) will NOT run SLI. They are not Nvidia chipsets. 965 and 975 will NOT run SLI.

To run SLI, you have to get a 650i or 680i chipset motherboard. It's that simple.

So if you want ASUS, then you'll need to get one of the P5N (650i) variants....there are several. Or you'll need to bump up to a 680i mobo.

Or skip the SLI option because by the time you're ready to "go that route" there will be cards out that will beat an SLI setup, and for less cost overall. SLI really only makes sense if you get both cards at the same time or close together, AND IF you're gaming at really high resolutions. Otherwise, one single better card is almost always better than two lesser cards.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Hmmm you both made good points there I think, I guess I'm not totally sold on the SLI just trying to "future proof" a bit, though I don't know if there is much point with computer's they become obsolete so fast.

What non ASUS non SLI boards would you recommend ?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
A good cheaper non-ASUS SLI board is the MSI P6N (650i). Then there's the EVGA 680i. Dunno when Gigabyte's 650 board is coming out.....seems to be taking forever.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
whats the gigabyte one your running like? notice you've tweaked it somewhat to get it 3.2GHZ
I've heard good things about the HSF your running there too.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Quite frankly im amazed by it I've got it running XP with a gig of ddr400 RAM and a 7600GT AGP and its still play's FEAR and oblivion quite well.
COD 2 play's well too, it got knocked on its arse buy STALKER though.

Was gettin a whopping 10-14 FPS in some sections.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
DS3 mobo is a champ. Alot of people around here have one, it's not picky with RAM, good BIOS, easy to OC, very stable, good layout, won't break the bank, and it's a proven winner. Cannot go wrong with the DS3. I highly reocommend it, and I've owned/built ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte.

As for heatsink, there are a number of good ones out there. I'm VERY interested in having a quiet rig, so this Noctua is simply amazing. The Thermalright Ultra 120 is another very good one (it needs a 120mm fan though) for cool and quiet. Thermaltake Big Typhoon is a good performer, but not as quiet. Zalman 9700 is another good one, not as quiet, and is expensive but puts up some good numbers.

Here's a review I recently finished on Cool and Quiet heatsinks. I had limited resources so I was only able to do a few at the time. But I think it helps. Take a look:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Cool-Quiet-HSF-Review-Scythe-Zalman-Noctua-ftopict232579.html

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Nice review man, Was sort of thinking that way anyway but you've made up my mind for the cooling at least.

Only problem is I'm in Australia not to sure how easy it will be to find a Noctua NH-U12F around here is all.

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
To run SLI, you have to get a 650i or 680i chipset motherboard. It's that simple.

This is not completely true. There are some "hacked" drivers out there that allow SLI to run on the 975 chipsets. These driver however are not yet compatible with the 8x00 cards.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Yeah right was looking at that motherboard ont the gameddude website.
I dont have a credit card and work full time so about the only way I can buy things is C.O.D from the post office.

Thanks for the shopbot link but I cant C.O.D at any of those shops, might have to borrow a mates credit card I guess.

mboorman

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
If you live in Brisbane (Aspley or Greenslopes) try PC Shopper for a motherboard as they are open till 6pm most workdays, open both days on weekend and till 8pm on Thursdays. You can also order the part over the internet and pay for it when you pick it up.

Price Point Computers is also a good value and have rev 3.3 FSB 1333 Gigabytes in stock.